Nuance Communications, The Company Behind Siri, Bring Dragon Go! to Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;3WsMIGTE4b4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3WsMIGTE4b4[/video]​

So far, most of the third party versions, and hacks to make an Android version of Siri have been only mediocre at best. Of course, Siri is mostly just a "whiz-bang, neato" feature, more than a truly useful tool. Luckily, the company that created Siri, Nuance Communications, is continuing to push the idea further, and they aim to do that on the Android, with an app called, Dragon Go! Even more amazing is that this app is available now for you to try. Here is their description of the app,

“With Dragon Go! you can do more in less time like buy movie tickets as you walk into the theater, go shopping at local boutiques while you wait for your nails to dry, settle a bet at the breakfast table on the square root of Pi, or plan and invite guests to that night’s happy hour – all with just one ask of Dragon Go!”

Just like Siri, the app is designed to be simple to use. You just ask it a question and the app will access its servers and attempt to provide a solution. It can even direct you to services that provide streaming media, social networking, and. It can further assist you with shopping, streaming media and other online content such as Spotify, Yelp, YouTube, AccuWeather, Ask.com, Dictionary.com, ESPN, Facebook, Fandango, Last.fm, Pandora, Twitter and more.

The app is available as a free download on the Android Market now, or you can give it a peek in the video demo above. It may not have the same snarky personality that Siri has, but really, when all is said and done, an app like this needs to be useful before it is entertaining. Share your thoughts in the forums.

Source: TalkAndroid and Android Market - Dragon Go!

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I don't get all the hype about voice activated commands...

arparaspolo

Reaction score
shelly?

He wasnt talking to a girl, he was talking to his boyfriend. Jerry. I know it sounded like Shelly but it couldn't be. Haha. This guys hair and voice were almost as bad as his acting.

doomgazer

Reaction score
Didn't watch the demo but lacking ICS support makes this app dead in the water for me.

blufftontiger

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 64GB
He wasnt talking to a girl, he was talking to his boyfriend. Jerry. I know it sounded like Shelly but it couldn't be. Haha. This guys hair and voice were almost as bad as his acting.

It sounded like he said "Sean".

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Was it just me, or did the awful product demo video make anyone else not want to use this app? :p

Seriously, how can this be from the same company? For the people who are actually on this voice command train, competition against Siri is big, and this demo/commercial makes this app look like a total joke. Honestly, voice recognition has been around for a while - all Siri does is throw something witty and human in, which most gullible people find fascinating. Example:

"How does the weather look today?"

* Recognize potential keywords - How, weather, today *

--Unwitty, machine response: Present weather information visually by calling upon weather app OR speak the weather forecast in monotone, "Cloudy, 30% chance of rain, possible scattered showers."

--Witty, human-like response: "Oh well, the weather doesn't look bad today, there's probably, oh I don't know, about a 30-ish percent chance of rain. It's gonna be a little cloudy dude so no need for the shades today. You may however want to bring an umbrella or plan on chilling inside cuz if it does rain, it's going to rain off an on. You good bro? Kthxbye."

Result: The exact same information.

Conclusion: Siri and it's competition so far are nice ideas and well placed steps in the right direction, but at it's core, it's still just ordinary voice recognition with optimized keyword analysis for better results, with, of course, human sounding filler.

dliontis28

Reaction score
Video does no justice

Video is horrible representation for the app. It makes android look like a joke trying to copy apple. Voice search works quite well for a search type app. One that I have found to be one of the best so far is speaktoit assistant. I have nothing to do with the app but out of all the ones I've tried excluding this one, speaktoit has to be the best. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Looks like a cheap knockoff, and its made by the same company?! This is one of the things I hate. Apple apps look so nice and finished, but when the same developer makes a Android version, it looks crappy and unfinished.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like a cheap knockoff, and its made by the same company?! This is one of the things I hate. Apple apps look so nice and finished, but when the same developer makes a Android version, it looks crappy and unfinished.
Funny thing is, I think Apple OWNS the company that made Siri. A more cynical take would say they intentionally made this thing garbage, while "promoting it" to make Android look bad.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
"Navigate to" "map of" "call" and occasionally voice to text already included in Android work perfectly, never fail and it's all I need, it has other useful voice commands but I don't feel the need to use them. I think that's more than enough conversation I would like to have with my phone, I don't need a conversation with some software with attitude.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
In other news,finally found and bought a leather uprite case that will allow me to us my cruzlite case.Went through alot of cases that wouldnt fit.