Now that you have the Moto Droid, Your opinion on the Keyboard?

LordKastle

Reaction score
When viewing a few youtube's of some cell phones (both new and older) accessing apps and games, I have seen most of the physical qwertys people tend to like with the raised keys with overly "precious spacing"...and then it clicked.

There is a reason why Droid's is so sleek and stealth. 99% of physical keyboard look clunky and honestly...rather childish (like a toy). This is one reason why the welcoming of virtual keyboards rather than a physical was so welcoming to many in the past year or two.

Seriously, when you look at these devices it makes you shake your head. There is no sense of professionalism or any designed intelligence (beyond the convenience of pressing buttons that look like they belong on an infant's toy).

Thank you Motorola for the design of the keyboard you came up with.

harlock

Reaction score
Moved up from an LG enV. I have to say that I liked the keyboard on that workhorse better, and even the enV Touch keyboard is nicer. I've got big fingers, so it was all good. Bottom line: It's worth the little extra effort to text with the Droid.

kastj

Reaction score
At first I hated the keyboard coming from a BB curve. But the more I use it the more I like it and I am getting pretty fast at typing with it. Also to play games and such the keyboard is a lifesaver.

Antonio Loveless

Reaction score
The physical keyboard does take some getting used to, but as many others can agree; adjusting to a new keyboard is possible in a short period of time. Coming from the Tour I thought the screen keyboards would be awkward, but it's actually the physical keyboard lol. I'm liking the landscape/screen keyboard the most...smooth and fast!

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I have in the last month become very good at the keyboard and hardly ever use the virtual one. Its almost like over night I noticed how well I type on it.

phillybadass

Reaction score
Initially, I hated the keyboard. I am a fat thumbed texter. But the more I used it, the less of an issue it became. After, having the phone for two weeks, it is not a problem at all. Bottom line, alittle practice fixes everything.

helter

Reaction score
The LG env had the best keyboard, loved it. The Droid almost a month since I've had it, I dread typing a long text. I'm less than half the speed and make lots of mistakes but still hoping at some point I get better. Motorola really screwed up. That large button on the right could have been used to expand the keyboard what were they thinking?

bevanse

Reaction score
anyone else have problems with the landscape touchscreen keyboard? Sometimes I have to press a key 3 or 4 times for the letter to take.

dogmeatstick2

Reaction score
Overall I like all three keyboards offered. However, I have a few small complaints.

The main problem I have with the onscreen keyboards is that there are no arrow keys. It is sometimes difficult to edit emails and texts without arrows.

For the querty, I haven't had trouble with the top row of keys being too close but the left offset positioning takes some getting used too.

Final grade would be a B+ on the droid keyboard.

tha]-[acksaw

Reaction score
When I first checked out the DROID in the store I will really pissed about the keyboard. I'm coming from an LG Voyager, and a LG Envy (first generation), and they both had great big keyboards.

But like lots of people are saying, every time I txt I get a bit better at it. I'm sure in a month I won't even know the difference. I can tell you for a fact that all my buddies with iPhones get pissed when they see the slide out keyboard on my DROID. The reaction is always the same. "I wish I had one of those on my iPhone".

At which point I start to list off all the other things my DROID has that their iPhone doesn't. When my list is done, my buddies just look a little less smug. HAHA!

JoeeDB

Reaction score
I really don't understand any of the bad reviews from the keyboard. I love it. I'm coming from a V to a Voyager to a Dare to this and have no problems whatsoever with the keyboard? I send/receive about 10k texts a month and don't have any problems with the keyboard, I actually like it.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
Personally the physical keyboard is a heck of a lot better than the one on the Treo 650. I used to have to carry around a collapsible keyboard if I wanted to do any typing more than putting in a phone number.

droidschooledstorm

Reaction score
I agree with what some say about not really being able to tell what key you are pressing but I seem to be more fluid on the physical keyboard than the virtual. Enough space for me and I use both. I guess that makes me a bi-textual.

J

Johnly

From what I read, the keyboard was flat and disappointing, but owning it, one realizes that the each key is convex, and that after a bit of practice, it works just fine. I am actually getting pretty quick, and the Dpad is about as sick as it gets...games are so fun with the keyboard out! I can ignore it to0, but It makes a multi-functional grip while watching a movie or taking a dump, or reading the times..he he