Now that there is root will android-wifi-tether work?

ninianne98

Reaction score
As a Droid 1 user (who is still running Sapphire), I have come to rely on the bluetooth tethering component of android-wifi-tether ( android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting ) for my Asus Transformer. Now that root has been achieved, can this tool now be used (either for bluetooth or as a wifi hotspot) in lieu of the TBH method? Knowing if this work will help me make decisions on what phone I next get as my poor Droid is constantly getting pushed to its limit and I'm more than starting to feel the pinch of the limitations of an original Droid.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How do you use bluetooth tethering in wireless tether?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You don't need that app or root to tether your D3 to your Transformer by bluetooth. You just pair them and then tell the Transformer to use the D3 for its internet connection. I've been doing it since day one. You could have been got the phone if that was the reason you were holding off lol.

OP
ninianne98

ninianne98

Reaction score
well it is one of the reasons, good to know it can out-of-the-box! it is not obvious from playing with the phone in the store that it will allow a data connection when paired (and vzw staff certianly aren't going to tell about it). I hadn't been able to turn up anything about it one way or the other from Googling, and figured since the TBH method was posted, that method must exist because there wasn't another way to tether for data.

What verizon (and moto) giveth, verizon can take away, and could potentally remove that functionality in an OTA, like the free wifi hotspot for the Thunderbolt (?) had at release. I also want Titanium Backup, reasonable expectation of getting a ROM at some point, as well as kicking out all the bloat.

And darn it, it's my pocket sized computer, if I want to muck around in the file system, I should be able to, just like if I bought a name-brand computer at the store. Nothing stops me from wiping the disk and installing openSUSE if I'd rather run that.

OP
ninianne98

ninianne98

Reaction score
With the Droid 1, I am using version 2.0.5 of wireless tether (just seemed to work the best out of the last several versions released). I followed the instructions on How to: Bluetooth Tether to Motorola XOOM Using Original DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I did find that I got best results if I made sure I disabled wifi before enabling bluetooth on the tablet & clicking on the tablet to connect. I am using the access control method rather than setting a passcode, so any MAC address that connects has to be approved for access. I did try to use the passcode method and that never seemed to work, but access control works reliably.

How do you use bluetooth tethering in wireless tether?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far every WiFi tether I've tried, all brings me to Verizon pages and trying to get me to use their mobile hotspot stuff..