1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Now that I've actually rooted my phone (installed the update.zip)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bitter, Feb 1, 2010.

1. bitter

bitter New Member

Where can I go from here? Do I need to install the 2.1 update? Or can I use that sholes, or bugless beast one? I had someone helping me from this board through PM, but they seem to have vanished.
  2. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Well, the first thing you will want to do is get your recovery rom installed so that you can do nandroid backups as well as block ota updates.

Check out this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

Or you can grab DroidRootPro from the market, it will apparently do a lot of that stuff, I just haven't used it so I can't say one way or the other.

After that, check out some of the rom reviews, I am pretty partial to bugless beast myself, others aren't fans of overclocking and like bugless beauty, some like 2.1, some like sholes, there's lots of options, check them out.

Welcome to the dark side :)
  3. Anonymouse

Anonymouse New Member

Well, since you've just rooted, get ahold of the bugless beast(WAY better than sholes IMO) update.zip, then run it, then buy setcpu from the market, then overclock to 800mhz. Then your phone will be super amazingly awesomeful.
  4. bitter

bitter New Member

I don't know why, but this is very confusing to me. I just check for DroidRootPro and it's pretty expensive for an app (IMO). Plus a lot of the comments are negative.
  5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Go through these guides:
    Guides - Root Your Droid

there's a lot to do before you start with ROMs (especially setting your backups). After you run through those you'll have a better idea of what you know (or don't know) and where you want to go after.
  6. agent42o

agent42o New Member

The most important thing for you is to get the recovery.0.99.2b.img file correctly installed. That will allow you to install custom roms as well as backup your current setup. I know it looks intimidating, but once you start going through it's not so bad, and once you get that down, you'll be able to ad and change on the fly.
  7. sudermatt

sudermatt New Member

WORD!

I'm a nOOb too and these things took me 3-4 days to get right.

BusyBox
    Nandroid
    Recovery992b

you've got to get these things worked out. stick with it. once you do, the world is your oyster.

I almost returned the thing till I experienced an 800 mhz Droid.... now I'm rocking 950 and LOVING IT!
  8. UggTheThug

UggTheThug New Member

i agree the recovery992b is, for me, the easiest way to install custom ROMs, its also probably the safest cause it allows access to backups on the SD, and can create its own

if u do decide on going all the way, i reccomend using
    --> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

it may be a little confusing at first, but it will help u get a feel of what is actually going on, rather than let an app do it all without u

950mhz FTW
  9. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

hold off on Sholes, a new update is coming soon... alldroid.org

try out Pete's Bugless Beauty or Bugless Beast (he just updated it today)
  10. bitter

bitter New Member

Someone helped me with this last night, and I am current running Bugleast Beast. I haven't done much with it yet except change the boot screen.
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

12. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

I had droidroothelper when it was available for free and upgraded to droidrootpro to support the dev. $2.50 is well worth the convenience and simplicity it gave me
  13. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Some things you can do:

Check out metamorph, it's free on the market, and there's a few decent themes, that's if you want a new look. I like t the x-hero theme so I went that route.

Wireless tethering is fun to play with if you have a laptop.

And there's always the option of getting rid of some of the apps (amazon mp3 for example) that you never use.

I'll be honest, my primary reason for rooting my phone was to get modile defense setup as a system app so that if I lost my device I could lock and locate it from anywhere whether or not someone had turned the gps off.

But after that it lead me to all sorts of fun toys!

Glad you got yourself setup, sorry if I seemed like a broken record last night, but hopefully after you got your recovery image installed you understood why I sounded like one :)
Search tags for this page

droidrootpro.zip

sanyo zio hacks

update.zip for imo
update.zip myphone