Now that I have Root

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
ck3jr said:
what would be safe to do next, Rom? Or just keep it the way it is and just have root?
Most anything is safe depending on how much experience and EXPERTISE you have with Android devices. Most inexperienced users get into trouble trying to flash ROMs because they don't understand the process, the software or how to recover if and when something just didn't work right. If you'really new to hacking then take your time and research thoroughly. Root is easy, and safe. Everything else is much more risky for the inexperienced.

OP
ck3jr

ck3jr

Reaction score
K. I have rooted before and flashed roms to some of my droid but been out of the game for a while and didnt know if everybody was still flashing oe leaving the phones with Blur on them just with root.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I've avoided ROMS on the RAZR up to this point because most of them still have issues like a non working FF camera (not that I even use it, but still)...

And I'm perfectly happy with a rooted stock ROM. There's nothing I want to do that I can't do.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
What is recovery? Never installed that. If I leave it with stock os do I meed recovery?
ck3jr, what is it that you are thinking of doing? If all you want to do is freeze apps and run some apps that require root then you probably don't need to install ClockWorkMod(recovery). To do so would mean installing something like Safestrap or Bootstrap. There is certainly nothing wrong with having either one of these (but not both) on your phone. If you are not flashing ROMs (or even if you are), I highly recommend Titanium Backup Pro. It is one of the most "must have" apps for root users and flashers. The other "must have" is DroidRazrUtility 1.81, which you are already familiar with I guess. As long as you can get into Fastboot mode you can always restore your phone back to stock .211 with this utility if something goes wrong.

I too have stayed away from ROMs primarily since most of the ROMs available always seem to have something that does not work...camera, data, motocast, eats battery, some apps don't work or something. If you decide to try out a different ROM then Safestrap or Bootstrap is a must. Make sure you follow the developers install instructions to a "T" to include which method to use to install, Safestrap or Bootstrap. Hope this is not to confusing.

OP
ck3jr

ck3jr

Reaction score
Maybe I need to stay away from the roms for now and yeah I remember when I use to put roms on my phone there was always a issue with them. I have cwr on my phone but I have not change anything in it. Big thing is uninstalling apps and freezing them to save battery life and memory. What are some apps that require root?

Thx

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Maybe I need to stay away from the roms for now and yeah I remember when I use to put roms on my phone there was always a issue with them. I have cwr on my phone but I have not change anything in it. Big thing is uninstalling apps and freezing them to save battery life and memory. What are some apps that require root?

Thx
Just remember...do not delete or uninstall an app that you needed root to uninstall. When it comes time for an official OTA update, it will check to see if those apps are present...if they're not the update will fail. If you uninstall an app without root, and there are a few that came with the phone that you could delete without root, then you're alright. There're quite a few apps that require root...many of them are file manager and rom manager type apps. Some apps like Apex launcher have additional features that require root. Juice Defender is another good example. The easiest way to find apps that require root is to search the Play Store for "rooted apps".