Novice User Problems with selecting options after dialing a number

Claudette

Reaction score
I am new to the Bionic and smartphones in general. I have my second new Bionic in about 3 months and this second one does the same thing as the first. Please help!

The problem arises after I have dialed a number - my pharmacy, for instance. An automated system will tell me to press "one" if I want to refill a prescription. About 9 times out of 10 I cannot press that "one". I can tap it just as I would to dial a phone number and nothing will happen. It just doesn't register that I tapped the "one". Sometimes if I tap it harder and harder for two or three times it might eventually register the "one" and I can continue, but generally that doesn't happen. Sometimes, as soon as I start to press the "one" the screen will go black only to come right back on after I move my hand but the next attempt to press "one" and the screen will go black again.

I've sat on automated calls and gotten so frustrated I could begin to hate my phone but I never hear anyone complain of this problem, so I thought it might be me. It doesn't seem to happen if your option is a "two" or any other number, but sometimes you must enter a "one" to continue or even to verify the action you just took (the automated system may say "press one if your answer is correct", etc., and with two separate bionic phones, I find it impossible to respond with a "one", most of the time.

Any suggestions?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Look around for the dtmf tone setting. Probably in the phone or dialer settings. Select long for the length of tone. That is the tone you hear while pressing each number. If it isn't set to long, the automated system can't "hear" it.

Second problem is how you are holding the phone or your hand as you attempt to press the button. Look at the front of the phone toward the top and you will see what looks like an eye of sorts. That is the proximity sensor. That sensor tells the screen to shut off while in dialer mode so you don't hit the end button with your cheek. It could also be a case on the phone if you have one. Try keeping that clear while attempting to dial. Good luck!

This post is Incredible 2

OP
C

Claudette

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I changed the setting for dtmf tone to "long". I will watch how I hold the phone and the sensor button. I hope this helps. I'll Know the next time I have to make such a call if this takes care of the situation.

Thanks!