Novice Needs Help with Rooting Droid 2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by SweetTea, Feb 21, 2011.

1. SweetTea

SweetTea New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Novice STILL Needs Help with Rooting Droid 1

I am a novice who has read lots and lots of sites & forums over 2 days trying to figure out how to root my Droid 2 to eventually turn it into a wifi hotspot. I have downloaded Astro & ApkInstaller onto my Droid & SuperOneClick & Z4Root.apk to my computer in various root attempts.

I think I should move forward with Z4Root but I cannot figure out how to transfer the apk file from my computer to my Droid. I have unmounted my Droid (although I couldn't do it through the notification downswipe process that most sites describe). However, a removable drive doesn't show up on my computer for me to copy the apk file to my Droid SD card. What am I missing? When I do the notification bar downswipe, I only see notifications. I don't see anything about USB or access.

I think after I move the apk file, I need to use ApkInstaller to find the newly moved Z4Root file, click on it and click install. I then open Z4Root app and click Root. To then get wifi, I need to open the Barnacle app and follow a few steps which I have.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +30
  3. SweetTea

SweetTea New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I am now on day 3 of not being able to root my Droid. I understand now that since my phone is Droid 1, I can’t use Z4Root to do it. I followed the instructions on the “Root With Any OS” link and have everything staged but had to stop in order to use ADB to move files to my phone from my computer. I then followed the instructions on the “ADB” link but can’t seem to get the prompt code to work. I read all of the comments and apparently I am the least knowledgeable user on the forums. Can someone walk me through the next step? I need really BASIC instructions. I have had no exposure to computer code or programming at all.

When I start SDK Manager on my computer a prompt box opens but you can’t type in it. From the comments, it sounds like I should enter the code in my windows prompt box instead. So I have gotten that to open but the directory says H: and I think I need to change it to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools. All of my attempts at changing the directory from the notes in the comments have failed.

If someone could please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

4. Abe21599

Ratings:
    +30
  5. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There are a lot of resources for rooting your droid 2. Some even have links in their signatures....,.;)

6. SweetTea

SweetTea New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I did use the link but got stuck here...

I followed the instructions on the “Root With Any OS” link and have everything staged but had to stop in order to use ADB to move files to my phone from my computer. I then followed the instructions on the “ADB” link but can’t seem to get the prompt code to work. I read all of the comments and apparently I am the least knowledgeable user on the forums. Can someone walk me through the next step? I need really BASIC instructions. I have had no exposure to computer code or programming at all.

When I start SDK [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]Manager[/COLOR] on my computer a prompt box opens but you can’t type in it. From the comments, it sounds like I should enter the code in my windows prompt box instead. So I have gotten that to open but the directory says H: and I think I need to change it to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools. All of my attempts at changing the directory from the notes in the comments have failed.[/COLOR]

7. Abe21599

Ratings:
    +30
    DO NOT USE THAT LINK! IT WILL NOT WORK! YOU POSTED YOU HAVE A DROID 2 AND THATS FOR A DROiD 1

8. SweetTea

SweetTea New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I originally thought I had a Droid 2 because my Android version under settings said "2.2.1". However from other posts I now think I have a Droid 1. The model number reads "Droid". It was the sliding keyboard version of the first Verizon Droids released.

I just need to know the exact steps to take to type in the ADB code using SDK Manager to move files from my computer to my Droid.

9. Abe21599

Ratings:
    +30