Nova Launcher

ice456789

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't see a thread about this, and I think it's something many people here would really like.

[APP] Nova Launcher Beta (ICS based) - xda-developers've done the launcher foxtrot since getting the GN. I really wanted to love the stock ICS launcher because of all the cool ICS goodies but in the end I had to give the stock launcher up because I hated the search widget taking up space on every screen, I wanted a scrolling dockbar, and really the huge GN screen just screams for a 5x5 layout. So with all that in mind I've used launcherpro, ADW, Go Launcher, and a few others looking for something perfect but in the end none of them had great implementations of ICS. I felt like I was back on gingerbread on my OG. Then I found Nova Launcher on XDA. WOW! If you love ICS and folders and everything else but just want more customization then this is for you. It feels like stock but so much more.

You do not need to be rooted, but if you aren't then you cannot have widget view in the app drawer. That's the only drawback. But if you are rooted then that's not a problem.

fantom557

Reaction score
i have been using nova since day 1 of release and they are up to beta 5 and i must say this launcher is a 9 out of 10 love it best yet its clean and keeps on getting better i highly suggest it!

pilot25

Reaction score
If you like stock but hate the Google bar then this is the way to go. The only short fall is the widgets aren't in the drawer like stock. They are displayed the old tired way but how often do you need to extract widgets?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you like stock but hate the Google bar then this is the way to go. The only short fall is the widgets aren't in the drawer like stock. They are displayed the old tired way but how often do you need to extract widgets?

If you install it as a system/app the widgets show in the drawer :)

Geschickt mit meinem Galaxy Nexus aus Deutschland

mdroid28

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. Just installed it. The only thing I would say is it has FCed three times while I'm trying to set it up, and I'd like to see continuous scrolling both in the dock and the homescreens. It added multiple docks, which is all I thought ICS was missing. Oh, and the ability to add shortcuts and widgets the "old way" (long click on homescreen instead of having to drag from app drawer.)

Just a quick note: It would not install as a system app by moving apk to the /system folder. It worked fine flashing the zip in CWM though.

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
I have not tried it yet but I just downloaded the files to install and uninstall if I didn't like it. Many people everywhere really seem to like it so I will give it a shot.

I agree about the search bar being wasted space. I don't understand why Google did that... I just loaded a new rom last night that has removed it and I love all the extra space it provides. (Axiom 2.2..... awesome rom)

I love trying things to find what I like best and I'll give this launcher a try today!

captdroid

Reaction score
I really like Nova Launcher currently beta 5 version. Had it FC a couple times with pressing home button bringing it right back. Other then that much better then the stock launcher.

DHO

Reaction score
i have been using nova since day 1 of release and they are up to beta 5 and i must say this launcher is a 9 out of 10 love it best yet its clean and keeps on getting better i highly suggest it!

I agree, using since day#1. I cannot imagine ICS without it at this point

pilot25

Reaction score
If you install it as a system/app the widgets show in the drawer :)

Geschickt mit meinem Galaxy Nexus aus Deutschland

You have to be rooted, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

catfisher

Reaction score
You don't require root or unlock to use Nova. I used it before and after rooting. Never an issue. Just download APK and install from a file explorer like ES.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
It requires root to install as a system app and have widgets in the app drawer
Btw for those rooted users who aren't sure how to install this as a system app here is how:
In terminal emulator type this-
su
cat /proc/mounts
mount -o rw remount -t yaffs2 /(device path of /system found in previous command) /system
install /(file path of downloaded nova launcher) /system/app

For example this is what I use for my Droid 1-
su
cat /proc/mounts
mount -o rw remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
install /sdcard/download/novalauncher.apk /system/app

(Or if you have root explorer or similar you can skip the second 2 steps and just mount /system rw with root explorer)

Supercharged tweaked Miui.us
Primes deprimed kernel @ 1.2GHz w/ customized kickasskernel tweaks and 3g turbocharger
19.9 linpack score
1921 quadrant score
Zoom zoom ;)