Notifications

urklegrue

Reaction score
The Zedge ringtones app has the Droid sound, and you can set it as the notification right from the app. I actually downloaded the one called "Droid kills iPhone" because it made me chuckle.

FWIW, while this works, I noticed that upon reboot all the ringtones and notifications get set back to default, which is a pain.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I just don't see what the big appeal with that sound is, it's fine if I'm at home or in the car, but if I'm in a store, at a casual restaurant, or some place that is on the quiet side, having a very load DROOOIIIDDDD sound makes everyone look at you. Then there are times when I get several texts at once.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The Zedge ringtones app has the Droid sound, and you can set it as the notification right from the app. I actually downloaded the one called "Droid kills iPhone" because it made me chuckle.

FWIW, while this works, I noticed that upon reboot all the ringtones and notifications get set back to default, which is a pain.
Create the folder on your SDCard. It stays after boots for me.

I just don't see what the big appeal with that sound is, it's fine if I'm at home or in the car, but if I'm in a store, at a casual restaurant, or some place that is on the quiet side, having a very load DROOOIIIDDDD sound makes everyone look at you. Then there are times when I get several texts at once.
That's what Silent mode or vibrate is for.

geoff5093

Reaction score
That's what Silent mode or vibrate is for.
There are several occasions where a short, simple beep or tone is acceptable, but not a loud DROOOIIDDD sound, and also where vibrate or silent would cause you to not realize you received a text.

Daethian

Reaction score
I too love the DROID ringtone. My bf got annoyed with me saying it along with the ads too.
Anyway...
I copied all my ringtones into a notification folder but when I try to assign a new ringtone only ONE of my custom ringtones shows up on the list to choose from.

I can go to settings>ringtones and create one from an existing music track but talk about tedious.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I too love the DROID ringtone. My bf got annoyed with me saying it along with the ads too.
Anyway...
I copied all my ringtones into a notification folder but when I try to assign a new ringtone only ONE of my custom ringtones shows up on the list to choose from.

I can go to settings>ringtones and create one from an existing music track but talk about tedious.
Try clicking on the Personalize button on the dock, then click on Ringtone, notification sound(Default, message, calendar and email can be setup under this one) and alarm.

Hope that helps. This is what I did to get Drooooid as my default notification.

pandabear

Reaction score
Back when I had my D1/D2/D2G/X I always rocked the DROIIIID notification sound, almost like a status symbol kind of like how people leave the stock "sent from iphone" on their email messages.
Anyway, now that I have a thunderbolt, I rightly use a THUNDERBOLT sound as my sms notification (just like the thunderbolt sound on the boot animation)

Daethian

Reaction score
Newp... same song and dance.

Anyway...

Try clicking on the Personalize button on the dock, then click on Ringtone, notification sound(Default, message, calendar and email can be setup under this one) and alarm.

Hope that helps. This is what I did to get Drooooid as my default notification.

beadlam

Reaction score
Is there any way to have Notifications work for text messages but not for email. (I very rarely get text messages, but they are very important when I get them. I know this is probably unusual.) I couldn't seem to do this, so downloaded Handcent with the thought I'd have more customability - but still no luck. Or is it possible to have a different level of sound for each type of notification - not a different sound - for text messages, work emails, and gmail. All seem to present the same way, no matter what I do. Looking forward to any help. Thanks.

beadlam

Reaction score
Thanks - I never would have found that through the layers. Let me go a little further, though - I would like all notifications, including email, to display in the status bar - just want to turn off the sound for one email account, if possible. Any thoughts??

Thanks, again.

djspy

Reaction score
If it's Gmail go to gmail>options>more>settings>click on the account you want to modify then scroll all the way down to labels to notify. From there you can change the ringtone or have it silent.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
You can create your own silent notification and call it nosound.wav . Download a file browser like estrongs and save the wav file to the notification folder on the SD card. The next time you go to set the ring tone it will show up in your list as nosound. Select that for your sound and you wont hear anything.

This post is Incredible 2!