Notification Tones

micp1480

Reaction score
How can I perform the following:

1) Add my Alert Tones to the default Alert Tones?

2) Can I somehow have a different alert tone for SMS and
my E-Mail?

I have downloaded my tones and added them to the playlist, from there I held my finger down on that tone, and I was able to upload them as a ringtone. This worked fine, for they showed up on my list of Ringtones, but when I got to the notification those tones were NOT on the list. So I am assuming that the Phone Ringtones list is completly different than the Notification List of Tones. Can someone shed some light here for me. My objective is to get a seperate tone for my PHONE, SMS, and E-MAIL, and how to achieve it. Thank you everyone.

MICP 1480

zegolf

Reaction score
Pretty search if you utilize the "Search" link in the upper-right hand corner, you'd save yourself the trouble of having to post.

However, since you've already posted...

1) Make diffferent folders on your SD card called "ringtones" and "notifications" where each sound can be store respectively. Ringtones will be your ringtones, and notifications will store everything else.

2) Yes, and if you can't figure out where in the "Settings" the "Sounds and Displays" might get changed, you can always download 3rd party apps to set sounds.

BobG

Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid Zegolf. I got the Verizon Motorola A855 Droid phone with the 16GB of space. I looked all over and cannot find a slot for an SD card...I don't know why I would need one. Am I off base? I want to follow your ringtone, alert directions and dont want to mess anything up. Thanks for your Newby help. Bob

zegolf

Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid Zegolf. I got the Verizon Motorola A855 Droid phone with the 16GB of space. I looked all over and cannot find a slot for an SD card...I don't know why I would need one. Am I off base? I want to follow your ringtone, alert directions and dont want to mess anything up. Thanks for your Newby help. Bob

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Take the battery out and you should see a tiny black SD card tucked up into the phone. I think it might even be labeled.

You need one to take advantage of the phone as a Media Player. Long flights are made shorter when you watch a movie on your Droid, and this is where you'll store it! Music can go on this card as well. You'll also create your "ringtones" and "notifications" folders on this card, and your Droid will automatically detect them.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It should already be in there :)

The SD card is what has the 16GB available... taht's why you need it :icon_ banana:

BobG

Reaction score
Thank you sir and of course there it was.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BobG

Def pick yourself a 'file explorer' to manage your SD card files. I'd recommend EStrongs File Explorer or Astro File Manager.

irvinecb

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice here! I set up a folder for ringtones and notifications. The ringtones folder worked no problem. Dropped in a file and now it's on my ringtone list. The notification folder has a file in it and it is not showing up on my list for those tones. Any advice?
Thanks!

Tim K

Reaction score
I believe you can only set up notifications in the actual app itself. So for SMS you would go into messaging, choose menu, settings, notification settings "select ringtone". Anything you put in the notifications folder should appear here assuming it is a supported file type.

OH, and check your spelling. I had a typo in the folder Notifications and it didn't show up. Also try capitalizing the N just in case.

Last edited:

eg146

Reaction score
While No One Minds a Stupid Question, Sounds Explained Please

Thank you for letting another Droid newb feel able to ask what may be obviously to our wiser, smarter Droid owner counterparts!

While we are on the topic, I also have specific questions:

1. What is the differnce between a notification volume setting for: Notifications, Media, and Alarm?

Blackberry kept that pretty simple with Profiles. Someone said I should get Quick Profies so I did and its a great app.

Only problem is I don't get a notification for every email or text. I have my mail unchecked where it says only notify once for email, not each time. I want to know when I get a new email.

So here's where I'm stuck. I have loaded some new tones from Zedge which is now an app in the Marketplace. So for each item I set noticications for I am asked to choose Driod or Zedge sysrem.
I have no clue how to put anything on my sd card or if anything is on it. But it appears as if a ringtone or notification is considered Media, no matter how loud I set say my gmail notification,if the tone falls under the media category, it will only sound as loud as I have media set.

I don't keep music on my phone, that's what my ipod is for but maybe the way I download something make the Droid 2 place it in the appropriate file automatically?

Also the Droid alarms weren't for me so I found my old Blackberry alarm on Zedge and put it on my phone. But, does the phone know that's in the alarm category or is it media because I loaded it from an app?

I'm trying to get my phone to beep and ring the way I like but I don't know what defines the items in my question so I need some wise advice.

When I open settings, applications, manage apps, sd card there is nothing on there so I'm just lost how loud to set each item so I can hear it.

Perhaps if I new what defines each item I can fix the issue. Also my gmail and yahoo mail don't always notify me when I get a new message. Am I missing something such as an add on for Gmail? Yahoo program looks just like on the pc but Gmail surprisingly boring and files not laid out easy to find. Do I need an upgraded Gmail like the business one?

Am thinking of getting premier gmail with my own domain, how does that work on Android phones? Anyone use that setup?

Thanks for reading my dumb questions!