notification tones

Jburner

Reaction score
Hello I have tried zedge and moblino or whatever its called but it keeps using the default on I had before I changed it. Tried to change in settings and also applying or settingg it in the Alps. Any suggestions. Thanks

IamReady

Reaction score
Your request is pretty vague. Can you specify what you are trying to do? You can specify different tones for each app. i.e. each contact can have their own ringtone, each email account can have a different notification tone, etc...

You can even use your own tones if you like...

OP
J

Jburner

Reaction score
Sorry, posted quick at work on my break. Anyways, I'm trying to set my notification for text messages to be a certain tone. But when I select to use it for notification it still uses the one I set when I first got my phone. Also trying to do the same thing for when I get a notification for facebook. Thanks for the help

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you use Handcent? SMS notifications for that are set in Handcent's option menu, not the OS's. The Notification sound set in the Android settings is default for all notifications. If you want a specific say E-mail one..... go into G-mail or E-mail (whatever you use) and select Notification tone from the settings in that APP. Generally the apps work this way. Settings inside the APPs control those notifications.

Hope that helps.

OP
J

Jburner

Reaction score
No im not sure handcent. I have save mss for messages.

edit: do i need to have ,abilo running in background for them to work?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just download Handcent and change the settings in there. Make Handcent your default program to handle text messages.

Go to the OS settings and turn off the notification for text messages and Handcent settings will take over. Otherwise you'll hear "droiiid" twice, lol.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I have no idea if this even relates to what you are trying to do, but in order to have your custom tones be listed on the selection you have to go into the SD card and place a folder into the dcim called "notifications". Same goes for custom ringtones, place a folder called ringtones in there and drop any and all tones you want into those folders and they will show up in the list.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
From what I can tell, there is a general notification tone, that can be set in the main settings of the phone.

This applies it to each and every application. For each app to have its own specific notification tone, you need to go into that specific app's settings menu, and change it there.

spyder560

Reaction score
From what I can tell, there is a general notification tone, that can be set in the main settings of the phone.

This applies it to each and every application. For each app to have its own specific notification tone, you need to go into that specific app's settings menu, and change it there.

You're definitely right, I was able to find the Notification setting for Messages...but how about the one for a New Voicemail? Where do you go to set that Notification sound?