Notification ringtones for text, gmail and email not working

alichi

Reaction score
I set different ringtone alerts on my Motorola Droid for text, gmail, and my corporate email, and up until about a week ago they would ring every time a message came in. Now, nothing. I also set them to vibrate, and now the Droid vibrates when I get a text or gmail, but not when I get a corporate email (using the app that came with the phone).

The phone rings fine when I get a call, although the Mobilo ringtone I was using has disappeared, so now I'm just using one of the ringtones that came with the phone. But it's really the lack of message alerts that's driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

alichi

huskur

Reaction score
Search the forum for "factory reset" that should solve it for you.

Here you go....try this

Turn off the phone.

Boot up while holding X on the physical keyboard.

Hold the volume up key and press the camera key.

Gets you into recovery and you select factory reset.

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
If I do this will I lose the photos on my Droid?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if they are on your SD, no...

EDIT: I suggest you try other things before a factory reset tho, thats crazy and shoudl be 'plan Z' in this situation. You should try setting them to different sounds to check if they play then. Set your phone in silent mode and reboot, try re-setting to sound on... just ideas...

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
Dumb question, I guess, but I looked and couldn't figure out if they're on my SD card or not. How do I tell?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Dumb question, I guess, but I looked and couldn't figure out if they're on my SD card or not. How do I tell?

Read my post above, I edited. As for your photos, if you took them with the camera they should be on your SD card in a folder called "DCIM" or somehting close to that... mount your phone to your PC and check.

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the words of caution. I will keep trying to fix it before trying the factory reset.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
People are talking about a bug in 2.1 where the phone enters a deep sleep. Even the alarm clock will not sound off. Suggested solution is to use load monitor from the market. Haven't tried it myself but that's what i've heard

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
I saw that suggestion and downloaded a load monitor, but unless I'm supposed to do something specific with it, it hasn't fixed the problem.

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
Doh. Turning the droid off and on fixed the problem. I forgot that it's basically a computer! Thanks for everyone's help,

alichi

compute26

Reaction score
Suggestion to set phone to silent mode, shut off, reboot and turn sound back on worked like a charm. All notification ringtones play and can be used. No need to factory reset mega last resort. Thanks.