Noticing horrible battery life on CyanogenMod?? Try this!

droidtjj

Reaction score
I've read a few threads on this topic before and have came to the conclusion that bekit's kernals are the culprit. After testing this on Koush's last 3 CyanogenMod versions, I can pretty well say that switching to p3droid's kernals may help you. With my experience it is NOT setCPU or rom manager causing this issue. I was only able to get about 6 hours out of my battery with bekit and with p3droid I can go all day and still have 30% left by the time I go to bed. I was testing this with both of their 1 Ghz kernals, it may differ with kernal speeds. Also TURN OFF live wallpapers, its kills your battery. Hope this helps someone! :)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I was suspecting bekits kernal also. My droid is running a lot hotter at 1Ghz rather than the 1.1Ghz (low voltage) I was running before the 7.1 update. Perhaps something borked it? Anyway thanks, I'll try p3droid's out.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
* shrug *

I've been running bekit's SV 1.2 kernel and get great battery life and good temps.

OP
D

droidtjj

Reaction score
i'm not bashing bekit at all, i'm just stating my experiences. it may be certain droids or certain kernals by each dev. i have no idea... just seeing if anyone might be sharing the same issues

Darkseider

Reaction score
Seems that every Droid is somewhat different in how it likes certain kernels and kernel settings. I have run the pretty much any kernel that came out and I have settled, for now, on Bekit's kernels. I run the 800Mhz LV and have had EXCELLENT performance, battery life and temps. Who knows, maybe the latest round of Chevys' kernels will be the magic bullet? In any case all the work done by whomever, p3, Bekit, Chevy, etc.. is all excellent and I can't thank them enough.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm not bashing bekit at all, i'm just stating my experiences. it may be certain droids or certain kernals by each dev. i have no idea... just seeing if anyone might be sharing the same issues

That's my only point, that every droid is different it seems....but it seems like we're in agreement

Taegost

Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with bekits kernels, I haven't tried p3's because I read somewhere that bekits are the only ones that support Apps2SD.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
you know what also causes bad battery life? 7 screens packed full of widgets and running performance mode in setcpu (seriously people do this crap).

I'm using cm 507.1 with the bekit .084 7 slot 1ghz kernel. I can go easy 16 hours+ and be at 70%+ battery life with light to moderate usage. of course it goes down quicker if I play games all day.

Personally I put it as a user problem, but droids seem to have a wide variance in these types of things so it could be just a droid to droid issue.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with bekits kernels, I haven't tried p3's because I read somewhere that bekits are the only ones that support Apps2SD.
running p3 now and apps2sd is enabled and working.
I am seeing better life and cooler temps, but there seems to be a bit of a lag compared to bekit. I use the 7 slot 1100 on both,
I think this lag is due to me using standard voltage bekit since the LV had some issues at higher speeds.

not sure which to use, the bekit std volt was a bit warmer and little bit less life but was slightly less lag, the p3 is cooler and better life with a touch of lag.

Taegost

Reaction score
running p3 now and apps2sd is enabled and working.
I am seeing better life and cooler temps, but there seems to be a bit of a lag compared to bekit. I use the 7 slot 1100 on both,
I think this lag is due to me using standard voltage bekit since the LV had some issues at higher speeds.

not sure which to use, the bekit std volt was a bit warmer and little bit less life but was slightly less lag, the p3 is cooler and better life with a touch of lag.

Excellent, thanks for that! I'll start my rounds of testing with p3droids kernels now, I appreciate it :)
I was having some pretty serious lag issues until I realized that because of all the crap I had running, I was constantly low on memory... So I ditched a few of my widgets and set up an auto-task killer to get rid of the non-critical apps that don't close properly (Like Gowalla, or IP Camera).
Almost 100% lag free now :)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as you're trying kernels, also try jldfg or whatever, (see Cyanogenmod Droid ROM forum)...

Artimis

Reaction score
As long as you're trying kernels, also try jldfg or whatever, (see Cyanogenmod Droid ROM forum)...

I having really good results with this kernel so far!

I was happy with Bekit's 0.8.3 on 5.6.2 (ran better than the P3Droid kernels) but when I upgrade to Bekit 0.8.4 on 5.0.7.1 things went downhill. I just loaded the jdlfg kernel and the difference is night and day.

Better memory management, temperatures, and system responsiveness....I'm still testing battery life improvements but so far it looks like that has improved as well.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did try that but my phone is finicky with LV kernels.
he said he will be doing a std volt soon and I am looking fwd to that.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did try that but my phone is finicky with LV kernels.
he said he will be doing a std volt soon and I am looking fwd to that.

Great news. I tried one of his LV as well and my phone puked, as it does with most kernels that are LV.