Noticed something this evening..

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by BradDroid, Feb 14, 2010.

1. BradDroid

BradDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Today I was in town and I was checking the dBm signal strength and noticed something strange.

First off, its my understanding that the higer the number the better, ie; -68 > -100.

So, in town I was getting a signal strength reading of -68 dBm and the status bar was showing full. Anyways, I have been having trouble with the bars reading at home. (see my previous thread) At home the reading is -101 to sometimes -104 but the bars show between 3 and 4 here at the house with little fluctuation.

If any of you understand that reading I'd love a better explanation that what I found on google. Also, could you guys post your readings? I'm wondering if theres something near my house disrupting my signal, because I'm way too close to a tower to be getting these readings.

Thanks.

2. windstrings

windstrings Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    there is a cool app called "wifianalyzer"

You can see all frequencies and tell where the strongest signals prevail in a localized area as well as what frequencies are open should you want to set up a new network.

You can view graphs too... based on what that app shows.... anything in the -100db range is pretty weak. In fact -90 is pretty sucky.

3. BradDroid

BradDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Then why do my bars show 3 to full? Also, do these numbers reflect data speed or is only related to voice?

4. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0

Remember, there is a sweet spot in the DB spectrum. You can get a signal that is too "HOT" and it will actually be just as bad as a weak signal.

I am not sure for the 3G/Verizon world what the "sweet spot" is, but I am showing a -92 at my house. I have 3 bars (not full) and on occasion I do drop to 1x. I looked out to see if I could find the optimal db levels, but was not able to find anything. I would take a guess that it would be somewhere between -45 to -69 db. If you were to get "HOTTER" than -45 (say -25db) you would begin to see issues with noise. Noise gets amplified as the signal gets better, and gets induced as signal gets worse.

5. hacku

hacku Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Actually the higher the number would be weaker signal. So -100dBm is weaker than -68dBm.

6. lemodular

lemodular Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the posters are referring to the "negative" values.

7. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0

UMMMM... if you read my post you will discover that is exactly what I said.

HOTTER signal is just that HOT = STRONG.... and DB needs to stay in the negative ranges to be usable. If you go into the positive range for db, it would not even be a usable signal.

8. BradDroid

BradDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh...I do that on occasion. Not very often, but it does happen.

Let me ask you.. when a call comes in and say your phone is reading 3 to 4 bars do they gray out (go completely away) when you answer?

9. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0

I haven't really looked or noticed that. I really don't have any call related issues with my phone, only slow data issues when it drops down to 1x.

10. BradDroid

BradDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update here....I spoke with a very helpful vzw customer service Rep a little bit ago and she had to manually reset the prl on my Droid. After we disconnected a *228 opt. 2 changed my prl to a vz based prl. I'm hoping this solves my reception issues at my house.

11. windstrings

Ratings:
    +0
    Which vocodec are you running?

12. windstrings

Ratings:
    +0

Well there are two different icons.. one if for voice and it has vertical bars ||||

While the wifi has a beam pattern of horizontal lines starting small and getting longer as they go out.

When on wifi, I"m honestly not sure if voice is patched through that or not... I don't think so.

But Wifi is in large your internet interactions and I don't think affect voice.

In other words if you were in a "no call coverage" area but had good wifi from a house or store, I don't know if you you could make calls....

I'm sure someone can pipe in that knows.

But if your seeing readings -100 or so, as you can see from that app I mentioned, it goes off the scale at -100 "as in being too weak to bother with"

13. BradDroid

BradDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried the ##program to change the vocodec but it asked for a spc password?

Is the password unique to the prl?
    Is there another way to change the vocodec?

14. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0

Brad,
    Did you keep the details on how to reset the prl? I think that would be good to post so that others can try it. I used to do a *228 whenever I was in a different area (even if they had good Verizon coverage). It supposedly allows the phone to find the towers.

Anytime I try a *228 with my Droid it doesn't go through.

15. BradDroid

BradDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. You have to call Verizon and speak to a tech. They gave me some website to go to, but it wouldn't work. So they just sent an update. The phone flickered 1x service a few times and then about 5 minutes later I did a *228 opt. 2. and was good to go. the prl reset to 51739. Previous it was 65085 a former alltell prl.

I went from -100- -104 at my house to -84- -90.