Noticeable difference in speed of phone after ovderclock?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by kermitdfrogdroid, Jul 28, 2010.

1. kermitdfrogdroid

kermitdfrogdroid New Member

I was wondering how many people notice the faster cpu with everyday use. Also what kind of battery life difference do you notice running @ 1ghz with moderate use in a day?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Overall phone responsiveness seems to be quicker, overall I don't think there is a big difference in how fast the phone app or music app work to be noticeable. But moving between screens, the app drawer, loading apps....all that is much quicker/faster.

I run at 1050mhz and get a good full day of use out of it. I'll flash a ROM, run a backup, change a kernel, browse the market, handle 90% of my emails, run Wi-Fi 40% of the day and GPS 100% (turn on anyway). I don't play games and I don't talk a tremendous amount on it. It's email/web/messaging/app searching is mostly what I use my phone for.
  3. killabyte

killabyte New Member

Aside from a few synthetic benchmark scores you won't notice any real improvement. App tray scrolling may be noticeably smoother (not really enough action going on there to notice a HUGE improvement) but that's about it.

Web browsing, playing music, google maps, etc. doesn't run any faster. The apps may open a few hundred milliseconds faster but you'd never notice it. Videos don't play any smoother because the playback works properly to begin with. If there was a decent codec for h and x264 hidef video files it would make a nice improvement in that playback but I still ain't convinced there's enough cpu power in the droid to decode those videos properly, even with a well written codec.

As for battery use I have to charge about every 30 hours or so. Do a lot of browsing (wifi) and about an hours worth of gps usage once a day. Gps doesn't drain your battery unless its in use, as far as I know anyway. Play some music off the sd card, some texting and talking. Use a metronome app for an hour or two each night and because of the way I use it the screen stays on a lot during that time. Not the entire time though.

I'm clocked at 1200.
  4. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

Overclocking makes or breaks Adobe Flash on my Droid. If it's another below 800 Mhz, Hulu (and most flash) runs horribly. I'm curious to see how a stock Droid will react to flash with 2.2...
  5. killabyte

killabyte New Member

good point dude - I'm sure it makes a noticeable difference in that too. Im running a 2.1 rom and haven't tried flash on the 2.2 based rom I ran for a couple days.
  6. erikfig

erikfig New Member

Big Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

definitely a huge difference.

i'm only running at 800mhz and i notice a huge difference between stock speed and this speed. also did a side-by-side with my friends stock droid and mine blew his out the water.

I could go to 1ghz if i wanted:)
  8. captaincanada84

captaincanada84 New Member

Ive definitely noticed a huge difference with my Droid overclocked to 1Ghz (where I normally run it daily). It feels more responsive, and battery life isnt really any different.
  9. Abadus

Abadus New Member

Big difference. Test it yourself.

Take set CPU and run at 1G make it so that at 50% battery it goes to 550. You will know when you hit 50% battery.

I set up a profile to go from 1000 down to 600 at 30% and my phone became a dog when it hit 30%.
  10. takeshi

takeshi New Member

It's definitely snappier. Froyo makes a huge difference as well.
Search tags for this page
800 mhz cortex-a5 vs 1000 mhz cortex-a5 cpu benchmark
800 mhz processor vs 1ghz
between 800 mhz and 1 ghz

difference 600mhz processor vs.800mhz processor

difference between 1ghz and 800mhz

difference between 800mhz and 1ghz

difference between 800mhz and 1ghz processor
difference between 800mhz processor and 1 ghz processor
diffrence between 1gmhz and 1ghz cpu
how big is the difference between 800 mhz and 1 ghz
what is the difference between 1ghz and 800 mhz