Notice to potential buyers: $700 is a lot of money

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Some good posts in here ...and good to see my fellow gadget junkies.... I'm pretty much the same when it comes to devices and tech stuff ..I like to treat myself and not worry about them prices ..and I want to try the latest ....at the same time I can understand someone not wanting to pay so much for a phone ..that's cool too ..we all have different lifestyles and priorities ...and what makes Android great we have many different choices ..

M8 tap'd

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Too many choices! The difference being that now they are actually all great choices. We don't have to settle for less anymore.
To think when I had my droid or even thunderbolt that we would have a period where the major complaint was not that my phone does not do x as well as iPhone but that it does not do it as well as compared to another android phone. And even though it does not do x better than it still does x pretty well. For me to finally say that about a nexus in multiple areas is big. But I am a fan of nexus phones.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I've never gotten into the Nexus devices. Each iteration of the Samsung devices have gotten better so I never felt the need to look anywhere else.

I've been curious however. What's it like to use a Moto? A Sony? And LG? HTC?

None of them offered anything compelling enough to wade into unfamiliar waters so I have stuck with what I know works for me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've never gotten into the Nexus devices. Each iteration of the Samsung devices have gotten better so I never felt the need to look anywhere else.

None of them offered anything compelling enough to wade into unfamiliar waters so I have stuck with what I know works for me.
I was nothing but Moto for quite a while after the G1 (see my sig), but then I went Neuxs with the Galaxy because I was tired of skinned android. Then, I stuck with Sammy for my next couple of phones even though they're skinned.

The base software is obviously the same, because it's all android. Specs are similar. It's just the little touches and etc that they add on top, which it appears Moto has REALLY scaled back.

However, for all the things you could complain about with Touchwiz, it really does add a LOT of handy things as well.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think the OP is great. PC gives good advice. I didn't read it at all as if he was saying that no one should by the Nexus, he's just urging caution.

It's an investment, just as Ollie and others have stated. I'm right on the same page there with you other nerds.

However, unless you've used a phone that's pushing that 6" screen size before, you really do need to do your research. Even if you can't get your hands on the Nexus in-store yet, go in and pick up a Note device or any of the others in the phablet range.

Aside from watching countless review and feature videos, this is exactly what I did when I preordered the Note 4. I had considered the 3 when I got the s4 and I went back to VZW to hold/play with the 3 some more after having decided that I thought I could enjoy using a device in this size bracket.

I love my Note 4 now and am very glad that I made the switch, but not everyone has hands as large as mine.

In the end, I guess it's not that big of a deal, though, as long as your carrier has the 14-day (or whatever other carriers do) return policy, because you can get hands-on with the device in your day-to-day routine and really see what works or doesn't for your particular needs...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Well put and exactly how I feel.
Overall great comments & input by all.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have to agree there as well. I kept telling my girlfriend as it got closer to time to replace the s4 that I was getting a Nexus device again when I upgraded. Then this thing was announced. Sold!

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I slept in a park once because I didn't have anywhere to live. It was shortly after I immigrated.

That day changed my life and really opened up my eyes to realities most people don't give a second thought to.

Flash forward to today and I make a great living. I save a lot of money with two retirement accounts and can still afford whatever I want without considering prices.

Like Dusty, I don't spend much money on hobbies other than technology. Pound for pound, penny for penny it gives me the most entertainment value than any other options available.

The family and I have entertainment nights that include movies, go cart racing, bowling, etc and we have fun doing those things. Once they are done though the money is gone and you are left with some great photos.

Then we all return home and continue to use $1000 laptops, $2500 televisions, $500 gaming consoles and such.

It's an investment that is returned to time and time again when the consumable distractions are over.

It's all about priorities which we all end up juggling at the end of the day. Thankfully I can do mine with a roof over my head and not outside at the park.

Ollie, I have a newfound and higher level of respect and admiration for you given your story. I am one who believes everyone deserves my respect no matter whether I've known them or are just being introduced, however there are certain things that may cause me to hold someone in a higher esteem and having survived on the streets for a long time many years ago as well, I have a certain special respect for you. God bless you and thanks for being an inspiration to us all.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think the OP is great. PC gives good advice. I didn't read it at all as if he was saying that no one should by the Nexus, he's just urging caution.

It's an investment, just as Ollie and others have stated. I'm right on the same page there with you other nerds.

However, unless you've used a phone that's pushing that 6" screen size before, you really do need to do your research. Even if you can't get your hands on the Nexus in-store yet, go in and pick up a Note device or any of the others in the phablet range.

Aside from watching countless review and feature videos, this is exactly what I did when I preordered the Note 4. I had considered the 3 when I got the s4 and I went back to VZW to hold/play with the 3 some more after having decided that I thought I could enjoy using a device in this size bracket.

I love my Note 4 now and am very glad that I made the switch, but not everyone has hands as large as mine.

In the end, I guess it's not that big of a deal, though, as long as your carrier has the 14-day (or whatever other carriers do) return policy, because you can get hands-on with the device in your day-to-day routine and really see what works or doesn't for your particular needs...

Thank you, I could not have put it better myself as I am just as guilty of hoarding gadgets. It is one thing to hear what others think another to actually try it for yourself. As much as I am digging the device when I went from note 2 to nexus 5 I realized how much I missed being able to use my phone with one hand or being able to stick my device in a cup holder or pocket with my wallet. When you go larger phone, unless you are Shaq, you give up the ability of one handed operations meaning I can not type a message or play a song while grabbing a bag or backpack. So yes I was mainly encouraging people to do research and know what you are about to spend your hard earned on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thank you, I could not have put it better myself as I am just as guilty of hoarding gadgets. It is one thing to hear what others think another to actually try it for yourself. As much as I am digging the device when I went from note 2 to nexus 5 I realized how much I missed being able to use my phone with one hand or being able to stick my device in a cup holder or pocket with my wallet. When you go larger phone, unless you are Shaq, you give up the ability of one handed operations meaning I can not type a message or play a song while grabbing a bag or backpack. So yes I was mainly encouraging people to do research and know what you are about to spend your hard earned on.
You must have little hands. Haha! I turned off the one-handed mode because I was never using it. I'm typing this on SwiftKey in portrait with the standard sized layout, tapping & flowing.

I can even pull down the notification shade one-handed.

Although, I'm right handed & my right wrist is bothering me lately. May or may not be related, but it's more of a reach & a bit more weight, so I'm forcing myself to use it left-handed for a while as much as possible.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You must have little hands. Haha! I turned off the one-handed mode because I was never using it. I'm typing this on SwiftKey in portrait with the standard sized layout, tapping & flowing.

I can even pull down the notification shade one-handed.

Although, I'm right handed & my right wrist is bothering me lately. May or may not be related, but it's more of a reach & a bit more weight, so I'm forcing myself to use it left-handed for a while as much as possible.

Sent from my Note 4

Decent sized hands. I mean can I use my note 2 one handed..yes but not as easy as my nexus 5 where i can literally do everything on the screen. But it is a tradeoff because when I go to sites or watch videos that is where I miss the larger phone. Either way I know I will adjust just like I did with my note 2.