'nother newbie just rooted and...

Sport

Reaction score
Looking to add Tapout's newest ROM-1.3.

Being green, I've read THIS but am unsure as to whether it is still appropriate for me. I've rooted with Red Recovery. Anybody here willing to point me to a dummies guide to installing ROM's and Themes?

Thanks

Rick

hecantbreathe

Reaction score

Being green, I've read THIS but am unsure as to whether it is still appropriate for me. I've rooted with Red Recovery. Anybody here willing to point me to a dummies guide to installing ROM's and Themes?

Thanks

Rick

Either press volume up, down and power at the same time and hold till samsung flashes twice and let go, you'll go to CWM Recovery. Or press and hold power button and select recovery.

Wipe cache partition
Select advanced then wipe dalvik cache
hit menu soft key to go back
select install zip file
find the file and install it
reboot.

Now since you're installing kb 1.3, if you stay stuck on the samsung screen for awhile and you dont hear a robot lady talking. you're going to have pull battery, boot back into CWM recovery and flash a different kernel. Either download OTB 1.3 or OTB 1.5 or PBJ make sure they're touchwiz and not for aosp. OTB 1.4 has had some people not being able to boot up.

ROMS and Themes are flashed through installing the zip file.

OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
Additional help needed.

Thanks

Rick

Either press volume up, down and power at the same time and hold till samsung flashes twice and let go, you'll go to CWM Recovery. Or press and hold power button and select recovery.

Wipe cache partition
Select advanced then wipe dalvik cache
hit menu soft key to go back
select install zip file
find the file and install it
reboot.

Now since you're installing kb 1.3, if you stay stuck on the samsung screen for awhile and you dont hear a robot lady talking. you're going to have pull battery, boot back into CWM recovery and flash a different kernel. Either download OTB 1.3 or OTB 1.5 or PBJ make sure they're touchwiz and not for aosp. OTB 1.4 has had some people not being able to boot up.

ROMS and Themes are flashed through installing the zip file.

Uh..well...ya...OK...

Master Droid sir, :)

I will claim a bit more ignorance than you are led to think.
If I understand you correctly, this is what I'm to do:

1) Download THIS onto SD card.

2) Either press volume up, down and power at the same time and hold till samsung flashes twice and let go, you'll go to CWM Recovery. Or press and hold power button and select recovery.

3) Wipe cache partition; Select advanced then wipe dalvik cache; hit menu soft key to go back; select install zip file; find the file and install it reboot.

IF:
I am stuck on the samsung screen for awhile and don't hear a robot lady talking.
A) Pull battery, boot back into CWM recovery and flash a different kernel. Either download OTB 1.3 or OTB 1.5 or PBJ make sure they're touchwiz and not for aosp. OTB 1.4 has had some people not being able to boot up.

QUESTION:

Isn't the Kernal part of the themed package or is it a separate download? If separate, can you provide a link(s) to the Kernal? I did a serach for OTB 1.3 and found nothing. Suggestions?

Thanks!

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Uh..well...ya...OK...

Master Droid sir, :)

I will claim a bit more ignorance than you are led to think.
If I understand you correctly, this is what I'm to do:

1) Download THIS onto SD card.

2) Either press volume up, down and power at the same time and hold till samsung flashes twice and let go, you'll go to CWM Recovery. Or press and hold power button and select recovery.

3) Wipe cache partition; Select advanced then wipe dalvik cache; hit menu soft key to go back; select install zip file; find the file and install it reboot.

IF:
I am stuck on the samsung screen for awhile and don't hear a robot lady talking.
A) Pull battery, boot back into CWM recovery and flash a different kernel. Either download OTB 1.3 or OTB 1.5 or PBJ make sure they're touchwiz and not for aosp. OTB 1.4 has had some people not being able to boot up.

QUESTION:

Isn't the Kernal part of the themed package or is it a separate download? If separate, can you provide a link(s) to the Kernal? I did a serach for OTB 1.3 and found nothing. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Kernels are not part of themes. Only some ROMS.

ComRom comes with OTB1.4 which is a voodoo Kernel and since you're not on voodoo right now, when it boots you should hear a robot lady talking about converting file system. Could take up to 20 minutes, just be patient.

OTB kernel [KERNEL][TouchWiz][4.30.11] OTB-Reloaded Kernel - xda-developers

Download the OTB1.3 and put it on the root of your sd card before flashing the ROM incase you get stuck at the samsung logo.

I would do this just to be safe.

Boot to CWM Recovery.
Wipe Cache partition
Select advanced - wipe Dalvik cache
Menu soft key to go back
Install zip file - find the ROM zip file
Install it.
Go to install zip file (again)
Install the OTB1.3 kernel, then reboot.

Should take eh, maybe 10 minutes, but can last longer so again, be patient.

After you're up and running on your new ROM.
Boot to CWM and do the install zip file for your theme.
Don't flash Rom and Theme without rebooting first.
It's always smart to wipe cache partition and dalvik cache whenever you flash something.

You're going to want to get Titanium Backup from the market so you can back up everything on your phone.

One thing about Voodoo kernels, NEVER EVER EVER EVER flash a Non-voodoo kernel over a Voodoo kernel with out disabling the lagfix first.
To disable lagfix - boot to CWM select voodoo and disable lagfix. Flashing Voodoo to Voodoo is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
OK, all seemed to go OK, but now I'm missing access to my phone (no Icon), my contacts (No Icon) and the gallery force closes each time.

Any thoughts?

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
OK, all seemed to go OK, but now I'm missing access to my phone (no Icon), my contacts (No Icon) and the gallery force closes each time.

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, that's odd.

I guess next would be to back up all your apps via titanium back up. Then boot to CWM recovery and wipe data then Install the ROM and kernel again. Reboot, sign in your google account. (make sure your contacts are scyn'd to google) and restore everything.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
Did as suggested and no change.

Favor, Can you give me an example of "install zip file - find the ROM zip file" as stated above? I assumed you meant "Steel Blue ROM1.3" Not sure of what else I could have missed. However, nothing else has changed. EVERYTHING still looks stock. No steel blue.

Last edited:

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
You flashed community rom 1.3 correct? Then flashed OTB 1.3? Booted up then went into cwm recovery then flashed steel blue theme?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
Here is what I did:
1) Installed these onto SD card! (ComRomGoS2_SteelBluev1.75.zip and OTB-Reloaded-TW-v.1.3.zip)

2) Powered Down and booted in Red Recovery

3) Wipe Cache partition

4) Select advanced - wipe Dalvik cache then Menu soft key to go back

5) Installed zip file (ComRomGoS2_SteelBluev1.75.zip)

6) Installed zip file (ComRomGoS2_SteelBluev1.75.zip) again

7) Installed (OTB-Reloaded-TW-v.1.3.zip)

8) Selected Reboot

Not only are there NO theme changes, I also have No Dialer, No calculator, no contact icon, and my gallery force closes now.

Where did I mess up?

Last edited:

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Alright you flashed a theme over the stock rom which is why you're missing some things.

In cwm flash com rom 1.3 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1050453

Flash otb1.3 after

Reboot

Boot to cwm

Flash blue steel theme reboot

Also the bluesteel theme has been updated to 2.0 I don't have the link handy but its over at xda.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
1) Installed ComRom 1.3Test2 onto SD CArd
2) Booted to CWM (Red)
3) Installed/flashed ComRom1.3Test2 from SD Card.
4) Then installed/flashed OTB1.3 from SD Card
5) Reboot (New theme~Looks Good!)
6) powered down and booted to CWM Red again
7) Installed/flashed (ComRomGoS2_SteelBluev1.75.zip)
8) Reboot. It loaded up to main screen, seem to freeze, then performed a quick reboot.
9) Things initially look PERFECT!

HECANTBREATHE; Your Da Man!

Thanks for taking time for me. I'm now your newest fan. lol :)

btw:

Within SteelBlue thread there are a number of links to install components. Are these necessary?

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
1) Installed ComRom 1.3Test2 onto SD CArd
2) Booted to CWM (Red)
3) Installed/flashed ComRom1.3Test2 from SD Card.
4) Then installed/flashed OTB1.3 from SD Card
5) Reboot (New theme~Looks Good!)
6) powered down and booted to CWM Red again
7) Installed/flashed (ComRomGoS2_SteelBluev1.75.zip)
8) Reboot. It loaded up to main screen, seem to freeze, then performed a quick reboot.
9) Things initially look PERFECT!

HECANTBREATHE; Your Da Man!

Thanks for taking time for me. I'm now your newest fan. lol :)

btw:

Within SteelBlue thread there are a number of links to install components. Are these necessary?

Glad it worked out.

The add ons are personal preference. I use launcher 2 so I would get that add on.