Note 5 not syncing Facebook contacts/contact photos

bucho602

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have been a member for quite some time now but have hardly, if ever, created a thread so forgive me if I am placing this inquiry in the wrong spot. I recently fired the trigger on trading in my Note 4 for the Note 5 and am experiencing problems with syncing the Facebook photos for my existing contacts that are stored in my Gmail. I have been able to do this with all of my other phones. Not a super huge FB user, but I do like having contact photos and would hate to go in and add them one by one through my Gmail account. Is there anyone out there who knows a workaround and can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy new years to you all!

John

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Have you done this??

Log in to Facebook with the email address and password associated with your account. Tap “Menu” in the upper left of the screen, then touch “Friends.” Touch the “Options” icon in the upper right portion of the screen. Tap “Sync Contacts.”

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Forgot to ask if you are using the FB App or a browser?

OP
bucho602

bucho602

Reaction score
I am using the FB app that is preinstalled with the note 5. I tried a few things that I came across in my research for it, but to no avail. I have tried disabling it and then re-enabling it, logging in with my email, as well as with my phone number. I wonder if the issue is with the fact that my android is logged in under one Gmail account which is different than the email I have associated with my FB account. The account settings say last synced, but none of the contacts show up in the "select which contacts to show" nor do the contacts I have saved in my gmail sync the profile pictures to them. That is my main goal is to have the pictures link up, but when I check the contacts, they only show linked to my gmail and other accounts like viber, whatsapp, etc.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
What I would do is uninstall the FB App. Restart your device and download a fresh copy from the Play Store.
Install the App and it should ask you if you want to sync your contacts..

Let us know if that works for you..

OP
bucho602

bucho602

Reaction score
Yeah, just tried that. It actually will not allow me to uninstall, only disable and uninstall updates. When I go to the Play Store, it only has the option to enable. It looks like there is a disconnect between Android and FB with regards to syncing the contacts. Perhaps something new from some updates? Sigh. Lol, looks like I may either be uploading a ton of individual pictures into my Gmail account or getting rid of some friends. This only proves to me even more how frustrating a life involved with FB has become. All I want are some photos for my contacts. I try to avoid third party apps for things like this as much as possible but it may be the only other option. I will try another factory reset in the morning. If you find anything else Jeffrey, please let me know. Thanks for your commitment to helping though.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Perhaps one of our FB experts will have another suggestion.. Check back later...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The Facebook app itself hasn't had decent (if any) contact syncing in years.

On a Samsung phone, you want to make sure that Facebook account is put in in the main settings under account & that contact sync is turned on.

If nothing else, I've found that this app works well on my Nexus 6P. It's got other options, but I use it strictly for syncing contacts. Sync.ME – Caller ID & Block - Android Apps on Google Play

One caveat there is that you can't select which social network picture to use. Ie, if you have the same friends on different social networks, it defaults to using their profile picture from one of those & you can't change which network it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P