Note 3 initial hands on

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Had a chance to play with it at my local At&t store and was impressed with the device overall. The overall look and feel felt just like an upgraded n2 and the back felt well not quite like leather but it wan't that plastic feel either. For me how the backplate feels means little as I keep my phone in a case in fact the only time I feel the back plate is when I am running a rom and I have to do a battery pull. Still it is a change of pace so kudos to Samsung for that. Unfortunately the s pen was missing out of the display unit so can not tell you about that. Also they did not have any usb 3.0 accessories in the store and when I asked the rep he basically tried to argue with me it didnt need it despite the battery on the display unit running low while all the other android devices battery levels were full. But according to the rep is was "a hdmi port" to which I then just gave up on the conversation all together. Though I do think a regular usb may work it do not seem to be enough of a charge to keep up with the device being on all day but will have to see from other the reviews if that is the case or not. For me I will not be upgrading from my note 2 it even after playing with it but it would be a nice device for any one who is due for an upgrade. The screen looked better, the phone was crisp despite all the touch wiz on it, and the overall use of device felt like having my note 2 in hand that felt slimmer and with better resolution. As tech continues to evolve it will be interesting to see where they go with the note 4.​

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Nice! So did it not feel much faster in general than the N2 or was it to close to tell?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice! So did it not feel much faster in general than the N2 or was it to close to tell?

To me the note 2 is already fast especially with me using nova launcher with every thing set at faster than light. The n3 may be faster but to be honest I could not tell. I think the extra kick and gig of rams are there to offset the extra bloat added as a result of more features but that is based on my limited observation.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
To me the note 2 is already fast especially with me using nova launcher with every thing set at faster than light. The n3 may be faster but to be honest I could not tell. I think the extra kick and gig of rams are there to offset the extra bloat added as a result of more features but that is based on my limited observation.

I've watched all vids that are out on the N3 so far and I really like it. I think to myself man that thing is so fast! But then I grab my N2 and it is pretty much the same speed! Guess I forget sometimes! I still plan to go check one out in person though.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turn off animations under developer options and the Note2 seems even faster. It's not as smooth with them off but snappier between screens.
My Note2 moves too fast fire me sometimes. I can't imagine an even faster device at this point. lol

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Turn off animations under developer options and the Note2 seems even faster. It's not as smooth with them off but snappier between screens.
My Note2 moves too fast fire me sometimes. I can't imagine an even faster device at this point. lol

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

Yep, I've had animations turned off on all five phones. When I use one with them on, I ask the person if I can shut them off to see if they like it better. They usually do!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yes sireeee..y'all are spot on ...I always take them animations to off...it just quick all around ...N2 with Nova and no animations is fast as lighting here....Add a nice kernel and it's 100 mph on the left lane here boys....

NOVICE

Reaction score
Coming from Note 2 I have had Note 3 about 36 hours. Not impressed yet. The improved S Pen and higher resolution screen were primary reasons for upgrade and I am more than satisfied with these features.

But my N2 was just as smooth if not smoother. And the native browser is a disaster. They have eliminated a text display setting preventing me from specifying the font size I want when a page first opens. (I've tried Chrome and Firefox and they are no better.)

My blue tooth is finicky, attachments to my text messages sometimes don't attach, and I've experienced more freeze-ups, terminated apps, and general jerkyness than on my former device.

Radios are excellent and speaker is fine. The phone is lighter and thinner. Has the replaceable battery I need. The faux leather and plastic casing are irrelevant as I will be utilizing a light hard plastic case. Anyway, I prefer the give of plastic to the unyielding feeling of metal.

I will persevere. I assume there are new features I will come to depend upon. Can't imagine changing from the Galaxy Note line but the newest iteration is not without imperfections.