Note 3 Battery Life

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So to mix things up a bit I wanted to make a thread talking about how AWESOME the battery life of this thing is. I still can't believe it. There was a period about 2-3 weeks in that it seemed to have intense battery drain, which I'm almost positive was caused by conflicting app updates. So I just downloaded juice defender, hid the notifications with the stock app manager, and within a week the battery life was just as good as the day I got it.

On a normal day with my S3, by the time I went to bed I usually had 10% left. If I didn't plug it in, it'd be dead by the next day for sure and a total hassle to deal with. With my Note 3, I'm usually at 55-70% by the time I go to bed, and if I forget to charge it in, it loses maybe 5% and will charge to full in about an hour. GSAM lists my average battery life at 23-24 hours, and I usually have 1-2 hours screen time, 10min-1 hour of talk time, and LOTS of music, news apps and kindle. 60% after 17 hours. Amazing.

It's crazy!! Finally batteries are making REAL progress in the smartphone world. They kept focusing on processors and screen pixelation but hardly touched battery life. Sure the Razr Maxx had it, but it was also sealed shut.

Anyways, just excited about how much easier life is now and like reading threads about how great the Note 3 is. Feel free to join in! :happy3:

1tfrot

Reaction score
absolutely! I consistently am 2-3 DAYS on a single charge. typically a couple hours of screen time, calls, texts, little internet, etc...

I would consider myself a little below average user, but this phone/battery is a beast so far!

I'm sitting at 48% right now with 2 days and 16 hours on the same charge. love this phone

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am a very heavy phone user *blush*.....when I go to bed at night my note 3 has in the neighborhood of 20% left. I have been very very impressed with this phone and its battery. :)

Sent from my hot Note 3 ;-)

Markee

Reaction score
Getting ready to move from a Droid Razr (battery finally very weak after 2 years 3 months ownership). Need to charge by noon to make it to the end of the day and it is on a charger all night.
Would you recommend the Note 3? The other being considered is the Droid Max (due to the better radio in the Motorola phones...

Any thoughts.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me, the only choice is the Note 3. I have an S3 so going to an S4 isn't too much of a leap to justify the cost. I don't like the direction that Motorola is taking with sealed batteries and no expandable memory. I have never been a fan of LG so the Note 3 is the last phone standing.

scion676

Reaction score
I have to jump in and play a little devil's advocate. I am a traveling sales guy so batt life is exceedingly important for me... even more so than people who claim to be "heavy" users. I kind of scoff at their usage since a typical weekday for me includes:

3-4 hrs of talktime
2-3 hours of screen time
a bunch of email, web browsing and play music
sometimes some google nav thrown in for roadtrips

I'll plug in in the car but I can go about 12 hours before killing the battery on a normal workday. I am still very happy with this phone because of the ability to swap batteries, though. Which makes the transition to an evening out with friends much easier... It isn't the holy grail of batteries for my usage habits... but its up there for most people. I would have gotten the droid maxx (I came from a razr maxx HD previously) but the camera didn't impress me enough.

Markee

Reaction score
I think the Note 3 is a great phone. My only concern is the radio strength. Had a friend that returned a S3 phone. Signal strength too low. Switched to a Razr Maxx and it was much better... Just wondering if the Note 3 has the radio improvements that were necessary. He said his wife has an S4 and it works OK in an area that his S3 did not work.
How is your signal strength and download speed?
Thanks

thc1967

Reaction score
I just picked up my Note 3 on Friday and charged it Friday afternoon. Here we are on Monday afternoon and the battery is at 24%. Coming from the original Motorola RAZR that I had to car-charge on my way home from work every day, this battery is amazing!

alexcool

Reaction score
why does my note 3 only work for one day?

Sent from my Smart e4

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
why does my note 3 only work for one day?

Sent from my Smart e4

Alex, I would HIGHLY recommend downloading Juice Defender for your Note 3. It'll take a few days to REALLY kick in, but it helps incredibly. Before when I went to bed I'd be at 20-30%, now I'm usually closer to 50-60%. Just the other night I had around 18 hours unplugged, over 2 1/2 hours screen time, 30 minutes talk time, and lots of music and internet inbetween, think I went to bed with like 32%. My s3 would need AT LEAST 2 charges to do what I did that same day!

jaydub5

Reaction score
Radio signal strength is just fine. I came from a Motorola RAZR MAX HD (great battery, lousy phone) and use the Note 3 for business...
I have essentially replaced my laptop with this phone.
I get 6-7 hours of screen time, about 2-3 hours talk time.
Note: the weaker your signal is, the less battery life because the phone is always trying to connect to a better signal, and the brighter you have your screen, the less battery life... this point is very important. The screen is the biggest battery hog... combined with streaming content, BOOM.. there goes the battery.

Markee

Reaction score
Droid Maxx or Samsung N3

I have a two and half year old Motorola Razr.... Batter starting to not hold a charge... (Designed in Obsolesce) Every now and then the phone gets really HOT for no apparent reason... I reboot the phone when this happens. Not quite sure what that is... Motorola phones have always had the best radios...

Considering the Samsung Note 3, looks like it has all the best features I want... Large High Resolution Display, 13 Mega P Camera, Replaceable 3200 Battery, Micro SD card to 64 Gb.. Best Quad processor... Everything I want in a phone...

BUT...

I am worried about the RF radio strength. I think this is the one weakness for the Samsung Phones. I spend time in the summers in an area that has a somewhat week signal.. Motorola Razr works fine. I am worried that I will not be able to use the voice and data on this phone... Has anyone ever done a wireless signal strength comparison with the net strength application? I am hearing comments both ways but have seen reports that show signal strength issues...

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/808665

Welcome comments

jaydub5

Reaction score
No worries... I too had a HOT RMHD, in fact, it baked itself... OFF CHARGER and TURNED OFF . It just kept getting hotter!
Note 3 functions just as good in a 2 bats of signal strength area. I see no difference. The RMHD'S battery did last a bit longer WHEN IT WAS NEW, but the phone, especially the absolutely awful camera, was not in the same league. Go for it.

cece5702

Reaction score
I am a very heavy phone user *blush*.....when I go to bed at night my note 3 has in the neighborhood of 20% left. I have been very very impressed with this phone and its battery. :)

Sent from my hot Note 3 ;-)

I just purchased one and I'm loving mine as well! :)

Reaction score
I started on a Droid 1, moved on to a Droid 2, RAZR, RAZR MAXX, iPhone 5 and the Droid MAXX. I'm now on the Note 3 and this is by far the best phone I've ever owned. I never imagined needing a quad-core processor on a phone before, but this one SCREAMS. Since I have kept my unlimited data plan by not accepting discounted upgrades I'm able to stream internet radio all day long. When I'm stopped such as standing around watching water freeze (such as when repairing an ice maker) I stream video via sling technology off my Dish Network DVR at home.

The Droid 1 and 2 did OK so long as I kept a charger around. The RAZR was just miserable and had to stay on the charger continually. The RAZR MAXX did pretty good, only charging while I was driving. The iPhone 5 was no better than the Droid 1/2. The Droid MAXX was a little better than the RAZR MAXX, but this Note 3 battery kicks total butt. I've yet to had to charge it before the end of the day. I think the lowest it's been is 10% at the end of the day and that's after very heavy usage.

As with most, battery life may dwindle as it gets older, but to date I'm extremely pleased.