Note 2 Replaced with 4.3, currently VRUEMJ9

Schlitzy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Kindo of a noobie here trying to understand...

My original Note 2 finally bit the dust (hardware failure after boot up splash screen locked up). I received an replacement through the Verizon insurance program and it showed up last week with 4.3, build VREUMJ9, and is now prompting for another software update. I was able to root and get everything backed up using this method, wccftech.com/root-verizon-galaxy-note-2-on-android-4-3-vruemj9/ though took a few tries.

My question is... can I use something such as either of these 2 methods below, in order to get back to an earlier build version or image version in order to get to other images and ROMs with unlocked bootloaders? Or since this boot loader hasn't been cracked or broken yet, will I just blow it up? I'm trying to understand if I can just image over top of it, and it will take me back to that image's build number? That is unclear to me.
droidmodderx.com/galaxynote2/root-galaxy-note-2-odin-root-package/
droidmodderx.com/galaxynote2/how-to-unbrick-unroot-factory-reset-galaxy-note-2/

(Sorry, won't allow me to post links yet)

My thought process is get it back to an earlier version, that has root and unlocked boot loader, and from there I can slap on all available ROMs for my particular vendors, hardware. Is that correct? Just trying to understand how the build number works and if I can get back to an earlier version so I can ROM.

Thank you so much
smile.gif

Tonik

Reaction score
You are on 4.3, nothing will get you an unlocked bootloader. Can't be done on that version. You have root, freeze SDM 1.0 to stop that update. If you take it you will lose root. You can flash back one version of .3 to regain root if you take that update by accident.

There is a safestrap for 4.3 you can run some roms with it but it is still in development. Xda has details on that.

Sorry, those are your only options.

OP
Schlitzy

Schlitzy

Reaction score
Thanks for responding Tonik!

Yes, I've read extensively on XDA and everywhere else how this current bootloader is still locked, and it's risky(ish) to use the SafeStrap

So please help me understand: I could not follow this method here (-[ROOT] Galaxy Note 2 Odin Root Package [video=youtube;xLv5ZADCXho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLv5ZADCXho[/video]) or anything similar, use an older image from an older/1st shipped Note 2 from like a year ago with Odin, and not be on an older/unlocked boot loader? Even if I perform a factory wipe and attempt to install a way older image of like 4.1.2 , I'm screwed because of this boot loader? I cannot get to an older cracked/unlocked version?

Just trying to understand how the bootloader prevents a re-image before I blow this thing up. I'm happy being rooted, but I want to get out and try the other previous cool ROMs cool features, try Kit-Kat, etc.

Thanks Tonik, and thanks everyone!

Tonik

Reaction score
Think of it this way. You can't flash back to an unlocked bootloader because your current bootloader is locked and can't be overwritten.

OP
Schlitzy

Schlitzy

Reaction score
Think of it this way. You can't flash back to an unlocked bootloader because your current bootloader is locked and can't be overwritten.

Ok, thank you Tonic, now I understand, that's what I needed. I was under the impression that the bootloader was part of the image or the OS that you would be flashing, so it is a completely separate entity of software, has nothing to do with the image, now I understand. Thank you very much for explaining, I really do appreciate it!