Not your typical 'how do I unbrick my phone' question...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Froyo, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Froyo

Froyo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am on pure stock rooted FRG22D Moto Droid. I have always gotten sub par to par 3g speeds, and downright terrible speeds in my home. Everyone does though, which makes me think it's the design of the house.

Anyway, earlier this week for two or three days I was seeing the best 3g speeds I've ever gotten, even in my house. Then, after those two or three days, they just seemed to disappear. I tried all the basic stuff obviously...uninstalling apps, *228, fiddled with roaming, hard resets, factory resets, etc...nothing.

Then, something occured to me. I have been using some ad blocking app for rooted phones, that updated daily, and whenever it updated, it told me to reboot to flush my DNS cache. I'm not a programmer and never thought about how ad blockers work, but it seemed logical to me to assume that perhaps ad blockers work, at least in part, by screwing with my assigned DNS and giving me new ones in order to avoid the ads.

So when I got home, I tested by uninstalling the ad blocker. Still, all ads were blocked. Did a hard reset...still no ads. I have no ad blocker installed, cleared it's cache before deleting, deleted sub folders on SD card, and factory restored and wiped three times in SPRecovery...and I still have the ads blocked somehow.

Is this possibly why my 3g is all of a sudden exceptionally poor? I did notice my PRL number went from 40068 to 40069, if that's at all relevant. If my assumption is correct, how do I reverse these affects. If there's anyone who may actually have some insight into what is going on I would greatly appreciate your advice.

#1 Froyo, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. djenks24

djenks24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same Issue

I had actually noticed that for the last 5-8 days that my 3g seemed faster than my WiFi. (Terrible internet speeds - Road Runner Lite) Last night, playing some you tube videos and 3g was very choppy and took a long time to load, like before the increase in speed. Went back to WiFi, but I didn't do any research. Kind of had it in the back of my head that it may have something to do with Verizon's 4g upgrade and them messing with the system. I guess it could have just been a good 5-8 days:) Oh well, back to normal for me. Sorry I couldn't help more than just saying that I feel your pain.

3. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All ad blocking is done according to which sites are listed in:
    /etc/hosts your hosts file lists sites that it will not display from.

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm not an electrical engineer but I'm not sure how an ad blocker would impact 3G. Look at it from a different perspective. I have my computer connected to my wifi. I have ad blockers active on Safari and FireFox. My computer is not slowed due to the plug in.

Just my thoughts.

5. Froyo

Froyo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you hemorrdroid, the hosts file is indeed still sitting there. You wouldn't happen to know how to delete it, would you? Not running a custom ROM so I have no scripts for godmode installed.

6. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, i wasnt following this closely. I dont think that you can just delete it, it is in there on stock android as far as i know, but you can edit it and delete entries from it. You would need an app like root explorer to mount it r/w and copy it to your sd card, then open/edit/save it and paste it back over the original.

#6 hemorrdroid, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010