Not that happy with my S3

ArtGamble711

Reaction score
I have had the phone for a few weeks. I came from a blackberry. I am using Verizon

Phone drops calls A LOT. I don't think my blackberry ever dropped a call and this phone has probably droped 40% of my calls

S voice is terrible. It can never understand me while the google voice understands me all the time.

Email keeps freezing up.

I have spent over 4 hours with level 3 tech support. They told me I had to do a factory reset...a huge pain, but I still have a lot of the problems.

Does anybody else expierience these problems?

Ozzzy3z

Reaction score
ArtGamble711 said:
I have had the phone for a few weeks. I came from a blackberry. I am using Verizon

Phone drops calls A LOT. I don't think my blackberry ever dropped a call and this phone has probably droped 40% of my calls

S voice is terrible. It can never understand me while the google voice understands me all the time.

Email keeps freezing up.

I have spent over 4 hours with level 3 tech support. They told me I had to do a factory reset...a huge pain, but I still have a lot of the problems.

Does anybody else expierience these problems?

I'm sorry you are having these issues. I have had mine for about a month and wouldn't give it up for any other device. Mine has been great. Not a single dropped call and better signal strength than my Droid X. My email has worked flawlessly.

This phone is my favorite piece of technology I have ever owned and I spend way too much on electronics.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
See about getting a replacement. You may have gotten a dud.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
As for S-Voice many have switched to using Google Voice instead (that is the good thing about Android - you have choices). S-Voice feels more like a beta and is not ready for prime time.

JFrawls

Reaction score
S-Voice has been utter and complete crap for me to use... it never understands me, or just can't answer the question. I was playing with the google voice search on my Xoom that updated to 4.1.1 and it was far better.

frank_drebin1

Reaction score
Ozzzy3z said:
I'm sorry you are having these issues. I have had mine for about a month and wouldn't give it up for any other device. Mine has been great. Not a single dropped call and better signal strength than my Droid X. My email has worked flawlessly.

This phone is my favorite piece of technology I have ever owned and I spend way too much on electronics.

+1

I'm also coming from a X and love the S3. I haven't had any of the problems you are having. Try talking to tech support about a potential lemon and see if they'll replace it.

S voice is kinda pathetic though. I'm sure Samsung is working on improving it. Be patient with it and see where Samsung takes it.

OP
A

ArtGamble711

Reaction score
I did call Verizon last night nd I will have a new S3 here later today. It will be a pain to get it all set up again, but hopefully worth it.

How do I use the google voice instead of S voice?

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I did call Verizon last night nd I will have a new S3 here later today. It will be a pain to get it all set up again, but hopefully worth it.

How do I use the google voice instead of S voice?

I use GoLauncher, and used the google search bar widget. Go launcher allows you th change the size of the widget, so i shrank it so all i see is a microphone. I would like to have put it in the bottom row, but since it is a widget it wont allow that, and there doesn't seem to be an app for google voice search. But this works for me.
View attachment 53991

S-Voice is worthless unless you are in a silent room.

cgull

Reaction score
Also came fro BB. No issues here other than wishing they would fix the LED quickly. I am rooted and running synergy ROM. Zero issues with drops or coverage. One thing about android to understand if your coming from another platform is that using TB to freeze bloatware and stuff you don't use greatly improves the phone. If your savvy enough its a must. Roms even go further to enhance the experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jake Benson

Reaction score
Is there a way to make Google Voice the default microphone? Whenever I use my bluetooth and say, "Call so and so", S voice does the operation. Half the time it does't work. Also, I can't keep it voice enabled, it keeps reverting to text which is annoying as I don't know who the damn thing called until someone answers. When its voice enabled, it will repeat back what you say, Such as "calling home."

JoDroid

Reaction score
My S3 froze all the time when I first got it but found out it was Facebook Mobile causing the problem. As long as I used the browser for Facebook the phone was fine but as soon as I used Facebook Mobile everything froze after that even my gmail.

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
I bought the S3 first and it did it to me as well (Dropped call, reboot and email issues). However, I exchanged for the Droid RAZR Max, the phone is over price but I have not had any issue with the phone so far. I am not sure if you can return your phone but this will be a better choose. The phone is great for business. Now that we have IC.:)

Send from Droid RAZR MAXX

skennelly

Reaction score
I use GoLauncher, and used the google search bar widget. Go launcher allows you th change the size of the widget, so i shrank it so all i see is a microphone. I would like to have put it in the bottom row, but since it is a widget it wont allow that, and there doesn't seem to be an app for google voice search. But this works for me.

S-Voice is worthless unless you are in a silent room.

There is an app for Google search. If it is not pre installed you can get it in the play store. It's called voice search.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC52b2ljZXNlYXJjaCJd

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
There is an app for Google search. If it is not pre installed you can get it in the play store. It's called voice search.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC52b2ljZXNlYXJjaCJd

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10

Right on. I looked everywhere on this phone for that stupid little microphone so i can put it down in the bottom bar. Didn't consider the play store. good looking out.

Update- Alas, i went to the play store, and the app is already installed. But all i can find on my phone is the widget. Curious and disappointing.

Last edited:

mkstn

Reaction score
Blackberry phone are in a total different class so it would be hard to compare. Either you like the BB or you like the Android style. My only issue has been the S-voice which just does not work very well so I don't use it. Other than that the phone has performed excellent an the batter life is more than adequite most of the time. Just put an Otter Box on the phone. I like the protection but do not like the feel. The plastic is too slick for my tastes. I may try a clear plastic spray on the case to give it more grip.