Not sure wehre to post but looking to replace my computer with phone/tablet.

gaspricessuckk

Reaction score
Alright since my computer keeps blue screening and crashing and such and it is brand new, and was around 800 bucks at best buy, I do have a best buy card and do know a good chunch about smart phones

One phone that caught my eye was the nexus galaxy, 4.1 icecream sandwhich and 4.6 inch screen, only 5.0 megapixel camera in the back vs my old thunderbolts 8. but already on 4.1 android software, blazing fast (i have tested it out and my buddy has one) only thing lacking is signal strength.

for tablets, since the xoom first came out that caught my eye, what i am looking for is the best one with expandable memory, the most usb ports possibly since i do play one game on this computer, biggest screen, fastest software, they are all on 3.0 honeycomb.

any thoughts?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have a nexus and love it. I also have a Xoom and greatly enjoy it. However neither of these devices can replace a desktop IMO.
A new PC shouldn't blue screen, probably something you downloaded. Try an antivirus such as Microsoft security essentials

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
G

gaspricessuckk

Reaction score
no the blue screen is my memory failiong such as my ram or ram stick, when i run bios in my setup it says memory failed so i can exchange the computer and get a replacement

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no the blue screen is my memory failiong such as my ram or ram stick, when i run bios in my setup it says memory failed so i can exchange the computer and get a replacement
Or you could try new RAM, which would be less of a hassle, but not gonna tell you how to use your time or money.

Regarding the combination replacing the two, for some I guess it works, I can tell you I am definitely not one of them.

Droidxskywalker

Reaction score
I understand about wanting to replace your cpu with a smartphone and tablet, cuz if I could replace it with my X and a tablet (if I was able to afford one; if was able to, it would have to be a DROID Brand tablet, cuz I prefer all my Android devices to be from DROID, no Apple devices for me! I'm very loyal to DROID), cuz my copy drives me really nuts. Besides I prefer Droid over Windows, anyways. Android is my favorite OS, and if I could, I would run Android on my cpu, but even though I understand how it's done, my home internet is too show, and I can't get better internet where I live, so it's very difficult to download what I need to do so. Maybe Google will come out with laptops and pcs with Android on them someday.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
To me the only option is the the Asus Prime. With the attachable keyboard, you have yourself a very functional "netbook" and a heck of a nice tablet when you want to be even more portable.

Then there's the IPad, obviously. I haven't looked at all their keyboard docks, but the main one I don't care for because it attached in portrait orientation. There are others, but when my laptop dies (and no telling when, maybe the next time I drop it) I will probably just get a tablet since I have a laptop from work.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I had the Nexus and loved it but it had too many problems with the signal strength and GPS so I switched it for the Rezound.

Reaction score
There are a few people working on a Ubuntu port to tablets so you may get your wish for desktop tablet. I use my tablet and tether it to my phone which if your not against doing that (I'm rooted with unlimited data on my Droid) then you wouldn't even need to get a 3G tab. One less bill to worry about.

My $.02 :)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
If you were to replace your PC with a tablet, I would definitely go with the Transformer Prime. Like androidlearner said, there are a couple ports of Ubuntu for tablets out there, so that could be a possibility! :)
droidxskywalker, I sort of doubt it because they have ChromeOS, so they probably wont be doing that! Kinda sad but that's Chrome's territory! ;)

Reaction score
You can also setup a Google Voice account and have it on your phone too. Then have GV (on your phone) sync with stock messaging app. This lets you receive messages like normal but still be able to use a tab or computer instead if you want. That pretty much makes your phone into a hotspot you can call with. I just did all that todau and so far no complaints here. :)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

OP
G

gaspricessuckk

Reaction score
I ended up getting a replacement computer for now, which I also ended up not really losing my job but they have lack of work. So I will keep the computer for now I had to replace the gaming mouse because it messed up so I got a replacement.