Not sure if I need to root, posted earlier in wrong forum

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by FieryMomOf2, Jun 20, 2013.

1. FieryMomOf2

FieryMomOf2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe I posted my other post in the wrong forum, so if so, please delete that one. I have a Droid 4 that I used to have on Verizon, and now I want to bring it to Straight Talk. Already activated the SIM card, but it says my SIM card is unknown. On my son's HTC Incredible, I was able to go in, input all the data, tap "Select Network Provider" and T-Mobile and AT&T came up for me. I selected T-mobile and his phone works fine now. On my phone, I changed it to GSM, went to do the same thing and look for a Network Provider, and nothing is coming up. I've spent the last 3 hours reading around on various threads, and I'm still not sure if my phone actually needs to be rooted or not. My current OS is 4.0.2, and the one forum thread I found says it can't already be ICS, has to be Jellybean to unlock the GSM providers. I know this can be done, I'm just not sure how. I've read the basics of root, I understand it gives you superadmin powers, but still not sure if I need to do that or not.

Been on XDA too, and wound up incredibly confused. Can someone help me please figure this out? Since I went in and did the activation on Straight Talk's website, my original ST phone and the Droid 4 both do not work (they function and I can surf wi-fi, I just can't make calls or anything). I'm moderately tech-savvy with these phones, but when it comes to unlocking them and/or rooting, I'm just not sure if that's the route I'm supposed to take.

Hoping to get this figured out tonight, I'm going out of town tomorrow and can't be without a phone. Thanks so much in advance for any help.

At this point I'm even willing to send like $5 paypal to the person that can break it down for me and help me figure this out. My cell phone is my business phone and there's no telling how many voicemails I've got waiting on me.
    Thanks again!

Search tags for this page

unsure if sim card uploaded on droid m