Not-so-rooted RAZR

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Hacks' started by AndyR83, Mar 30, 2013.

1. AndyR83

AndyR83 New Member

Good afternoon,

This afternoon I downloaded the latest RAZR Utility for JB. I had already done the OTA update to 4.1.2, so I didn't flash it from the utility. I just chose option 3 (root) and then option 4 (safestrapper.) Each operation completed successfully when I ran it, and I didn't get any errors. The problem is, the device doesn't seem to actually be rooted. I downloaded TitaniumBackup and when I open it, I get a message saying the device is not rooted and the app won't work.

Any ideas what may have gone wrong? I have "superusers" on my apps menu in the phone now, but it has no apps listed in it.

I have rebooted the phone a few times, but that didn't have any effect.
  2. Miklb58

Miklb58 New Member

To me, the utility names are too similar, there is a RAZR utility, and a RAZR blade rooting tool.
    If you were already on JB I think you wanted the RAZR Blade rooting tool....

Mike
    Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  3. AndyR83

AndyR83 New Member

Yeah, I just downloaded RAZR Blade a moment ago. Here's what happened when I ran it:

#7188120 - Pastie
  4. AndyR83

AndyR83 New Member

Hmm I just did a full wipe and re-flash and the log is the same when I try to root still (failed, cross link error)
  5. OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker New Member

Please keep us updated.
  6. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

There is no root for 4.1.2...yet. You would have had to have root before upgrading to JB 4.1 2.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually, JP, the Razr_blade exploit DOES work for 4.1.2 (as does the Droid RAZR Utility which uses the same exploit), but DOESN'T work if you've updated the Smart Actions in Jelly Bean BEFORE you run it. So if you HAVE updated Smart Actions, simply "Uninstall update" for Smart Actions, run the exploit, then update Smart Actions again and you're golden. :biggrin:
  8. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, I thought I was in the Razr Maxx HD forum. I need to stop multi tasking, lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  9. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Andy, you'll probably need to run the utility to flash it (option 2), then do option 3 and 4. The failure could have come from having already updated Smart Actions (which kills the exploit), or it could have been that you were NOT in MTP or PTP modes in USB, or any number of other failures, but starting fresh with option 2 will resolve all that.

Actually either will work since the Droid RAZR Utility uses the RAZR_Root exploit for option 4, or in other words, they're one and the same for rooting.

For all... You must make sure that you are NOT in USB Mass Storage on the phone. In other words, choose either Media device (MTP), or Camera (PTP). For me, I chose MTP and it worked fine.

This holds true for both Dan Rosenberg's Razr_blade Exploit (razr_blade.zip) and Matt L. Groff's DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!), option 3. I've edited the OP to include the information above.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  10. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Fox beat me to it, make sure you are in Media mode when connected via USB. I had the same problem.
  11. jp233

jp233 Member

also make sure the Motorola Device Manager software is correctly installed on whatever computer you're using for the RAZR Blade root hack. For some reason, it wouldn't install properly on my Win7 machine, even though the installatino wizard thing appeared normal. The service in Windoze never started, and would not run. I installed the Moto crap on another Win7 machine and it worked like a charm. Let the Razr Blade slice some stuff up, and root=yes.

You can get a simple root checker app to make sure you have full root, also.
  12. tjm999

tjm999 New Member

Hey this thread was very helpful to me also. Thanks all.
  13. eddie7

eddie7 Member

You must make sure that you are NOT in USB Mass Storage on the phone. In other words, choose either Media device (MTP), or Camera (PTP). For me, I chose MTP and it worked fine. How is this done. I am having a brainfart. ​

Search tags for this page
4.1.2 root razr maxx -hd
droid maxx xt1080 root
how to get razrblade for root razr maxx

how to root motorola razr maxx 4.1.2 using razr blade

new razr blade root 4.1.2
razr blade droid razr 4.1.2
razr blade hack
razr blade link failed cross-device link
razr-blade doesn't work
root razr jelly bean 4.1.2 blade
root razr maxx 4.1.2 razr blade