Not receiving some msn emails.

RVTech

Reaction score
Hi - First time smartphone owner with the Droid 4. My problem is that I only get some of the emails in my Windows Live msn email account. I do not have a junk folder on the droid for some reason so I get none of those. The bigger problem is that I only get a portion of my regular inbox emails. I refresh it, but they still don't show up. I wasn't on my pc for three days and there was 21 emails in my inbox that never showed up on my phone.

Any suggestions or fixes for this issue that you can recommend?

Thanks

r314bd

Reaction score
How did you set up your email account on the phone? IMAP? POP3? Exchange?

MSN email supports Exchange so I'd recommend setting it up that way. That should hopefully fix the issue.

First delete your current email account from the phone then go to Settings -> Accounts -> Add account -> Corporate Sync.

Enter your email address/password and for the server settings the server is m.hotmail.com. Make sure "Use secure connection" is checked.

Does that fix the problem?

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
If it's POP you're probably downloading them to the inbox on yourPC and then trying to find them on your phone. That's the default behavior for POP clients unless you manually configure otherwise. Check the settings on your PCs email for a box that says "leave copies of messages on server and check the box. Very common error when settiing multiple pop clients up to check same mailbox (all of this is assuming we're talking POP, if you're not.....never mind :))

Sent from my mad overclocked gingerbread D1 (not activated) via my rooted Bionic and foxfi, and the DroidForums app! edited from home for clarity.

OP
R

RVTech

Reaction score
What I have found now is that when I remove my account and then add it back. I pick up the emails that I did not receive on the droid, but then again do not get the new ones that come after that.

Originally I added the account by going into the droid apps - my accounts - add account - Email Accounts - windows live hotmail - email address/password. Just the way the phone walked me through it. I don't know how it is set up when it does it automatically.

I tried to do it through corporate sync as recommended now and I am not sure what to type into the domain. I tried it blank, server was msn.com by default. (Maybe because my email is a @msn.com) and it said "could not connect to server". I then put my email address into domain and it said "could not connect to server".

I then changed the server to m.hotmail.com as recommended and it said "login failed" with my email address in domain and "the host is unknown" with the domain empty.

I also checked my pc email settings and this message is clicked on for pop. "Don't let another program delete messages from Hotmail. (If your other program is set to "delete messages from the server," we'll simply move them to a special POP folder. They won't be deleted.)"

r314bd

Reaction score
I tried to do it through corporate sync as recommended now and I am not sure what to type into the domain. I tried it blank, server was msn.com by default. (Maybe because my email is a @msn.com) and it said "could not connect to server". I then put my email address into domain and it said "could not connect to server".

I then changed the server to m.hotmail.com as recommended and it said "login failed" with my email address in domain and "the host is unknown" with the domain empty.
The domain should be left blank and the server should be m.hotmail.com (even though you have an msn.com email.)

So just to clarify:
Username: full @msn.com email address
Password: password
Server: m.hotmail.com
Domain: blank

If you still can't get it to work, there is an official Hotmail Android app you can try.

OP
R

RVTech

Reaction score
Update

The domain should be left blank and the server should be m.hotmail.com (even though you have an msn.com email.)

So just to clarify:
Username: full @msn.com email address
Password: password
Server: m.hotmail.com
Domain: blank

If you still can't get it to work, there is an official Hotmail Android app you can try.

Tried it again and realized that the reason it wouldn't log in is because the username was filled in by the Droid when I got to the server page, but I did not realize last night that it did not have @msn.com at the end of the email address. Completed the email address and followed your directions and the corporate sync account is now complete.

I will try it today and see how it works.

Thank you for you time and sharing of knowledge. - Ron

OP
R

RVTech

Reaction score
Fixed

Email appears to be working great with the Corporate Sync. I have the other folders also.

Thanks again for your assistance! - Ron