Not receiving email unless mail program opened...

DxExs

Reaction score
My girlfriend has a Nexus2 she says, according to her she can't receive email unless the mail program is opened. I was certain it must be the push/fetch settings so I took a quick look at it the other day and couldn't remember how to adjust these settings. After searching both google and this I was unable to find anythings matching her concerns she needs addressed.

I also wanted to make sure she has the latest update. If you could include instructions on how to verify current version and how to update if needed.

I sure appreciate any advice for an almost certain simple question. Droid forums was actually the last place I thought to look simply because I didn't even know this forum covers that device. Thank in again in advance.

Just a side note and a thank you to the developers of this site: I sure a like the auto save feature it saved my bacon due to the fact when sometimes I pressed the delete button it doesn't delete it actually sends the browser back a page loosing data:blink:, but not this time. Thank you!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My girlfriend has a Nexus2 she says, according to her she can't receive email unless the mail program is opened. I was certain it must be the push/fetch settings so I took a quick look at it the other day and couldn't remember how to adjust these settings. After searching both google and this I was unable to find anythings matching her concerns she needs addressed.

I also wanted to make sure she has the latest update. If you could include instructions on how to verify current version and how to update if needed.

I sure appreciate any advice for an almost certain simple question. Droid forums was actually the last place I thought to look simply because I didn't even know this forum covers that device. Thank in again in advance.

Just a side note and a thank you to the developers of this site: I sure a like the auto save feature it saved my bacon due to the fact when sometimes I pressed the delete button it doesn't delete it actually sends the browser back a page loosing data:blink:, but not this time. Thank you!!

Which email app are we talking about? Gmail or Email app?

From any home screen/settings/accounts and then press on the gmail account of interest and make sure the sync gmail option is checked. While in the settings menu check Data Usage/menu/ and check that Restrict Background Data is not checked. Make sure she doesn't have some kind of task management app that is truning off data when the screen is off (tasker, juice defender, etc.).

Again, if it is the Gmail app do this: from a home screen settings/apps/all/gmail/clear data. It will take a minute or so for the app to reload, but this helps solve a great many issues in the Gmail app.

The only thing I know to do for the native email app is to remove and reinstall the email account. I don't use it so I know little of it.

Good luck.

OP
D

DxExs

Reaction score
Thanks BayouFlyFisher for responding (cool name too)

Which email app are we talking about? Gmail or Email app?

From any home screen/settings/accounts and then press on the gmail account of interest and make sure the sync gmail option is checked. While in the settings menu check Data Usage/menu/ and check that Restrict Background Data is not checked. Make sure she doesn't have some kind of task management app that is truning off data when the screen is off (tasker, juice defender, etc.).

Again, if it is the Gmail app do this: from a home screen settings/apps/all/gmail/clear data. It will take a minute or so for the app to reload, but this helps solve a great many issues in the Gmail app.

The only thing I know to do for the native email app is to remove and reinstall the email account. I don't use it so I know little of it.

Good luck.

Sorry I haven't responded until now. It's partly because I'm a little ashamed that I wasn't able to provide more info the first time or enough this time either, but due to unavoidable circumstances its difficult look at her phone often enough to properly troubleshoot her issue. She didn't seem to know which email application she uses. Also I couldn't seem to find the menus exactly as you described. As mention in my op I don't know if she has the last update and want to verify this as well. Another noted problem she told me about is when she deletes emails they come back as if it weren't deleted. I'm still having trouble determining how to resolve the problem for her, but would greatly appreciate keeping an eye on this thread or active so you/anyone that can help and I should be posting any further details you need in less than a week. I sure appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for lack of information or clarity on my part in which i post. Thank you.

Last edited: