Not quite sold on the Droid Bionic but want to stay motorola

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Targa being Quad-Core is a long shot but you guys will be VERY happy nonetheless.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Targa being Quad-Core is a long shot but you guys will be VERY happy nonetheless.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

I wouldnt say it is a long shot. if you go to youtube and look at several demos the guys hosting are saying expect tablets in august and it to be in smatphones by the holdiday season of 2011. look here and go to 1:26 for an example. : [video=youtube;DPN3hHI9y-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPN3hHI9y-E&feature=related]YouTube - NVIDIA quad-core Tegra 3 "Kal-El" quad-core processor demo blows us away[/video]
I dont thing it would be that far off to get the tegra 3 in that timeframe. Expecially since if you view the tegra roadmap, They view the Tegra 2 as a 2010 cpu. Tegra 3 is a 2011.
tegra-roadmap-630x355.jpg
Just my IMO with a couple supporting facts.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It's a long shot. My guess is that they won't actually be released until 2012 at least in phones anyway. These things almost always run late.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't expect this in phones any time soon. If it is, expect significant other features to be degraded or completely stripped out.

What we've clearly seen in recent months is lack of the "perfect" phone as OEM's make trade-offs with various options, presumably to keep the cost of the phone in a fairly tight range to hit that sweet-spot consumer price of $200 or so on contract.

I do believe there would be a market willing to pay for the "perfect" phone, but OEM's have been to this point afraid to test it. So with a quad core expect them to chintz on the ram and storage and probably be the standard 800x480 or whatever display, among other things.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a long shot. My guess is that they won't actually be released until 2012 at least in phones anyway. These things almost always run late.

If quad core tablets are being released in august then how is a release for a smart phone a longshot? Motorola has been staying ahead of the game lately, they were the first to release a dual core. Id say it is likely that they have it planned to release for the holidays. No one can see the future in case they run late but thats just the nature of the beast. I cant say id plan for all future devices by everyone to be delayed.....

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Those will probably be late too. Moto wasn't first with a dual core, LG was. Maybe they'll get quad cores out in phones by the end of the year but I really doubt it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Whether is quad core or not is not that big of a deal for me. What I want is a device with an unlocked bootloader that can be used on 3g and lte, other that the tbolt.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Those will probably be late too. Moto wasn't first with a dual core, LG was. Maybe they'll get quad cores out in phones by the end of the year but I really doubt it.

Haha Your right, i wasn't thinking of LG, but moto did release the first dual core tablet. change it to "Moto was among the first with dual cores"
And Pc, i thought that way before, but after viewing the benchmark scores i was impressed. I think ill be bummed if its not a quad core. I have fingers crossed for bootloader and all that though. thing would be amazing if so.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Viewsonic G Tablet was probably the first dual core Android tablet. The Notion Ink has dual core too. They both came out before the Xoom.

With the tablets too, its "Moto was among the first with dual cores"

The Xoom does have the crown of being the first tablet to officially come with Honeycomb.

rkeller62

Reaction score
I
I don't expect this in phones any time soon. If it is, expect significant other features to be degraded or completely stripped out.

What we've clearly seen in recent months is lack of the "perfect" phone as OEM's make trade-offs with various options, presumably to keep the cost of the phone in a fairly tight range to hit that sweet-spot consumer price of $200 or so on contract.

I do believe there would be a market willing to pay for the "perfect" phone, but OEM's have been to this point afraid to test it. So with a quad core expect them to chintz on the ram and storage and probably be the standard 800x480 or whatever display, among other things.

Look at the Bionic though:
4.3" qhd display
Tegra 2 dual core CPU
512 MB DDR2 ram
8 Gb onboard storage

The only spec you might be able to argue they skimped on is amount of ram, but I'm willing to bet 512 is plenty fine for both Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'll admit if I have a choice between a dual core phone and a quad core phone I won't even have to think about which to get. Kal-el looks sweet.

Nightmares

Reaction score
A lot of the new 4G phones are just ugly. I'm waiting for something that looks great and is a beast inside.