Not Quite A Boot Loop With The 4.4.2 Update (NOT DEVELOPER EDITION)

skostos

Reaction score
Rooted Moto X (Not Developer Edition)
Purchased the SuperSU Pro to protect root
Had SuperSU installed in system apps
Plenty of xposed framework mods installed

I have a weird problem with the 4.4.2 software update. I had root enabled, I was booted into recovery at the time of dl (this enables my system to be rw instead of ro), I don't think I was really doing anything weird. My phone was slightly low on battery maybe 45% when I first tried the update, but I have since charged to 100% with no fix.

Here is the problem:

The system update downloaded automatically and I let it sit all day. I know this is dumb, but I was at about 45% battery when I started the rest. I then purchased SuperSU pro to protect root, at the same time I installed SuperSU in system apps. From there I decided to try and go through with the update. The phone restarted as per usual, then nothing with stock recovery where it normally shows the progress bar with the android with the open stomach to do a system update. The phone started up and was still on 4.4. The problem now though is after being on for about a minute and a half it restarts. It does this constantly and I have no idea what to do to fix it. I can charge if I start up the fastboot screen, but after i turn it on plugged in or not it reboots. I hope I didn't brick my phone but this is my first time going without an unlocked bootloader thanks to the droid and the galaxy nexus. Thanks a lot verizon. If it weren't for my 30 dollar unlimited data I woulda been gone a while ago. But man that service and that data.. what do I do guys.. first time I ever had to ask a question in all these years.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I did an OTA to 4.2.2 as well without issues. Did you use the soak or the formal OTA fiiles? The 45% is no big deal. Ive done it with less than 10%. Also, the OTA does turn system write off again. To be claer, can you get into fastboot mode?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
KK breaks root even with supersu pro. Enabled. Use Rsd to return to stock 4.4 then OTA if you wish. Just know root may not be available again yet. Not sure on the last part.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

OP
S

skostos

Reaction score
Well, I did an OTA to 4.2.2 as well without issues. Did you use the soak or the formal OTA fiiles? The 45% is no big deal. Ive done it with less than 10%. Also, the OTA does turn system write off again. To be claer, can you get into fastboot mode?

I used the formal OTA, I can enter fastboot, charging on the fastboot screen is the only way to prevent it from booting all the way up, finding signal and restarting. thanks for the quick reply. I am going to read the forum post now that was suggested in this thread

OP
S

skostos

Reaction score
I had success in RSD lite, this was obviously always going to work but I was hoping there would be a way to recover and finish with the update while maintaining root. I am now on 4.2.2 and am going to try and get this baby rooted and all the way up to the 4.4.2 but all methods seem to use the old OTA that I have looked at and since that wont be the one downloading.. this should be interesting. any points to what I am looking for would be great. Thanks for the help guys.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
If you are on 4.2.2 the updates will come in order of camera update, 4.4 and then 4.4.2. They are individual updates that update the version previous to themselves. They don't roll all the updates in to each update so you get the first which will trigger the second which will then trigger the current one.

Sent from my Nexus 10