Not happy with the droid. Gallery, touch screen, wrong person calls plain POS

slinky

Reaction score
if you even have a droid get a palm and get on with your life. if you have a palm go back to what ever palm forum you like so we can have a discussion with real members.
I guess you can't handle the truth or anyone's legitimate criticism of the phone and 2 year contract they just paid for. Someone says one bad word and they are no longer a member. You guys just pat each other on the back and think happy thoughts...

I dont know bout you, but if I had that much problems where a phone did not do what I expect then I will not keep it beyond the 30 day. I would look for something that fits me.
The Droid is one of the top selling devices for a reason. Those that did not like it bought something else. This forum has been good about helping people find other devices that fit them.
You just seem like you are unhappy no matter what we say so you can either do for self or keep complaining.
You fit under a number of categories I mentioned, including the inability to read and comprehend what other posters write. All you can think of is "critcizer of Droid... Bad man!! Bad man!!!" Myself and the OP said the Droid was a good machine when it was version 2.0 and aren't happy with the upgrade. That's it. And BTW, just because you sold a ton of product doesn't mean it's good - and a $100 million dollar ad campaign that dwarfed many other products also helps.

How many times do people have to say the same thing. The people not too happy are those who bought the Droid months ago and used 2.0. No, it wasn't perfect but it worked more reliably than 2.1 - at least for me, the OP and a good number of other users. We can't just return the phone now.

I always get a good laugh out of the public service that you guys do by helping people find a phone that fits them. So what are you saying? Get a Blackberry or iPhone because at least the phone part works well and the Droid is for people who can deal with obvious lingering issues? These are easy issues to fix and we are just surprised at the lack of progress. Nobody is asking for any new features.

Although telling someone to get a different phone doesn't sound like the forum is trying to help. It is actually sound advice. As mentioned many times in this forum, not every phone is for everyone. If a phone does not do things the way a user wants out of the box, there may be a much better alternative.
When you pay for the contract termination and for the price of a new phone, then you're helping. So what is the better alternative? At the moment, the better alternative for some of us was just sticking with 2.0 until Moto and Google actually put out something that was a worthwhile upgrade.

Justin82 - thanks for the well intended message. Part of the problem with rooting is that many of us have work phones that simply should not be rooted for the obvious reasons. If it's your personal phone, that's a different story.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
To the OP and slinky and whoever else who has problems with their Droid:

Perfect example. I had an Omnia 1. After a few months I wished it a slow agonizing death. Did I complain to forums about whats bad about it? (Better yet, why it didnt work right for me) Naw. Did I try to get my problems fixed? Yea. When I saw the phone just wasnt working for me, I actually stopped going to Omnia forums. I didnt even bother updating it when the update came out.

I just realized me n that damn phone were incompatibale. Was it a bad phone? Your opinion is yours, mine is mine. (Its funny after less than a year it was 49.99 on Verizon...I paid $200 for that BS) To me it was a POS. And I just moved on.

I hate that u and other ppl have/had bad experiences with the Droid. But its a slice of heaven for me, and I assume everyone else it works good for. See u say lingering issues, but me and many on here have already said, we didnt or dont have those issues.....so who has an inability to read?

Ok if the upgrade isnt working for yall, try downgrading then. See if that helps.

jjimenez09

Reaction score
if the OP has this much to complain about the droid. im glad i wouldnt have to read what he has to say about the storm 2 once he gets it. thats basically the same thing as the storm but wuth double memory and wifi. same problems. same dead os.

slinky

Reaction score
Perfect example. I had an Omnia 1. After a few months I wished it a slow agonizing death. Did I complain to forums about whats bad about it? (Better yet, why it didnt work right for me) Naw. Did I try to get my problems fixed? Yea. When I saw the phone just wasnt working for me, I actually stopped going to Omnia forums. I didnt even bother updating it when the update came out.

I just realized me n that damn phone were incompatibale. Was it a bad phone? Your opinion is yours, mine is mine. (Its funny after less than a year it was 49.99 on Verizon...I paid $200 for thst BS) To me it was a POS. And I just moved on.
I just read a post and sympathized with a poster who is also experiencing the same thing as I am and my 3 month old Droid. Now here's a good idea to you and the rest of the people who just find it so difficult to read someone's dissatisfaction with a relatively new device that might cost them roughly $500-700 to terminate (phone + termination fees + apps + accessories). How about IGNORING this thread??? On discussion forums, people come to discuss both the things they like about a phone and their disappointments. Some people want to vent a little and I'm sympathetic and confirm the same behavior. You guys are just prolonging the agony by telling us all not to say bad things because reading them bothers you.

Downgrading isn't an option. Some apps are updated to work with 2.1 and will cause problems with 2.0. There is no easy way to manage this with the Droid. This is not news, just the facts. It would certainly help if the Market had copies of apps that were sorted by (a) the phones which they are compatible with, and (b) the versions of Android OS. Other phone operating systems do not suffer this real problem, although Windows Mobile 7 might have the same issues which remains to be seen.

With regard to your incompatibility with your phone, I'm very sorry for you. I hope the divorce and settlement was amicable. When someone loses a $500+ investment after just a few months, I don't think it's too much to say "I feel your pain, let's see what we can do or get the developers to do."

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Better yet, why dont u take this up with Verizon, Motorola and Google then? U wasting your time here. Vent to them, and maybe you can get an updated phone. DIdnt you hear they had a hardware upgrade too? It comes with raised keys on the slide out keyboard.

U right, ppl have discussions in forums about their problems with a specific product. But are you trying to get the problems fixed? Or are u just 'venting'?

And who is saying not to say bad things? Yall have yall point of view, we have ours. No, I'm not gonna speak for everyone. You have your point of view, I have mine. It seems like you/yall are as guilty as u claim I/we are if thats the case......U are basically telling me/us I/we cant say good things about the Droid because you/yall are saying bad things about the Droid...

It cancels each other out. Now we back to square one.....

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Bottom line - I enjoy the phone because I'm a technical person who experiments. For the average person who just wants the basics to work right, Android is still not really a phone for them. Lots of glitches, things don't work properly and you MUST go to a forum to learn how to replace all the basics. OP has a point, I'm done arguing with you guys. :)

I read everything you've said in this thread and you point really good points, which to some I agree. This particular statement quoted above bothers me, because not everyone is having such a hard time with their device that you appear to be having.

I can't speak for anyone else, nor am I going to, so please, keep that in mind.

From what I've read, most people don't have issues, but there is a group of DROID users who have had bad experiences with the phone. I've also read that there some known issues. I've also read that some times particulars elements of one unit might be bad while in another unit it's completely fine. The point of that: this happens in any industry that is mass producing ANY products. You take the risk, every time you purchase a product, that you might get a partially or completely bunked unit. I'm sure you know this, you seem like a smart guy to me.

I purchased my DROID one week after launch, I had no problem with the phone until I started rooting it, then it was constant problems with keeping up to date with all the revisions, etc, to the point I said, screw it, going back stock. So I went back stock. I let the 2.1 update come through to my phone; overall I experience little difference in performance or usability of the phone, but I've read several accounts where people HAVE had problems with the update and I don't dispute that they are true. Going back to the rooting theory: Some phones can handle being pushed to 1.3gHZ while others can only handle 800mHZ. I think it's the same type of thing.

I did have to have my unit swapped out for the infamous loose charge port problem, as to which VZW gave no question via customer support(thank you hook) and sent me a replacement device. It does seem the charge port is more stable than in my first unit.

Is this Motos fault? Hell yes. This falls directly on their shoulders since they are the company that produced this phone, even if it is a Google Android phone. But while this problem occurs for some users, it doesn't occur for the majority, as I've seen.

Should it have been a better implemented update? I think so, the update seemed to bring little to the table, but it was enough to appease the majority of users, so it seemed like a pretty good move on Moto/Google's part.

At one point I was using my phone for a science experiment, but no longer, not worth risk busting it up when I need it, as you said, for a phone that functions properly, which mine does. I do not and have not questioned it's ability to function.

I am truly sorry you are experiencing issues with your device, possibly contacting customer support could help you get a replacement device considering many people are not having issues. I realize it might seem like a pain in the ass to swap everything around, but it isn't as time consuming as one might thing. I can't think of any options you might have to fix the issue unless you get a replacement unit that possibly already has 2.1 on it, which my device did when I received it.

I don't want to argue with you by any means, and I do sympathize with your problems, it just seems that the majority of people aren't really facing those problems. And like you said, if they are, A) they ignore them B) they root the phone or C) don't realize there might actually be problems.

Instead of telling you to get a new phone, I would say see about getting a replacement. I had a Curve for a while and I went through 4 bad handsets one after another in a period of 2 months. So I know you can get a bad device replaced with a bad device.

Head up though, if you can't get a working device after three units, they will offer to put you into a comparable phone within the DROIDS bracket.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I also don't like the Droid , but I don't hate it either . It's far from a quality or good phone and has so many problems . I had a couple of smartphones before (WM , RIM ,Android ) and they had better technologies that weren't adopted into the Droid , some of them as basic as the bluetooth voice dialing or decent call quality . I made a compromise buying this phone , in december the best OS was Android and best network VZW , the fastest phone running Android on VZW was the Droid so even if it has so many problems there wasn't something better at the time , if you know one please name it . Luckily I only have a couple of months left till I'm eligible for upgrade .

slinky

Reaction score
I am truly sorry you are experiencing issues with your device, possibly contacting customer support could help you get a replacement device considering many people are not having issues. I realize it might seem like a pain in the ass to swap everything around, but it isn't as time consuming as one might thing. I can't think of any options you might have to fix the issue unless you get a replacement unit that possibly already has 2.1 on it, which my device did when I received it.

I don't want to argue with you by any means, and I do sympathize with your problems, it just seems that the majority of people aren't really facing those problems. And like you said, if they are, A) they ignore them B) they root the phone or C) don't realize there might actually be problems.
I'm not going to argue and said my piece. Thanks for your well thought out post.

I was debating going the replacement route but, from my experience, I highly doubt that this is the issue. There are far too many people that are experiencing the same issues that I am and I've seen the threads. It could be many things including just one bad app, service, who knows? The crashes are also not often enough to say that it's a no brainer to return the phone for a refurb.

Unfortunately the only solution might be to wipe everything and reinstall. This includes the SD card. As it stands, corruption on the SD card can cause issues on this phone. What is disappointing is that the stupid cloud doesn't allow for a quick and easy restore of all phone data, especially databases, as was the case with the Blackberry, Palm, etc. Even the iPhone has a restore. I'll hope that mybackup pro will restore the databases and we'll see what gives. For now, the phone works reasoanbly well despite requiring a reboot at least once a day and I'm finding it doing it a little more often at the moment.

It's a good phone. I just think the community needs to demand something more from Motorola and Google than this lame 2.1 update. Anyways, peace to everyone and here's hoping for better things coming down the pipeline and soon, such as Flash.