Not happy with the droid. Gallery, touch screen, wrong person calls plain POS

phreek

Reaction score
I've had mine since December, it's only freaked out twice and both times I resolved it by reseating the battery.

Darthvong

Reaction score
To the OP.

Get one of these. You'll never have ANY of those problems again....

old-cellphone.jpg

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^lol.
I don't know if it was the update or rooting but I had the dreaded mute issue and now I don't. Call reception is better. As a result of rooting I have better battery life. I know it's not fair to mention rooting when people have problems. Bottom line is my problems are gone.

If it's a bad phone, just get a new one and see how it goes. If u still not happy u know what to do.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Slinky, you're just so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start. First the Blackberry Storm never received Official Updates on a regular basis. I had one for a year and I saw 2 updates. I also had a Blackberry Storm 2 and while that was better then the Storm 1 it doesn't come close to the Droid.
There were several updates to the Storm and many more to the Palm. But as I said, the key is how substantial the updates were, not just the number of updates. To say the 2.1 "update" is lame is a compliment and many agree that it's little more than cosmetic with a few changes under the hood that unfortunately are affecting many apps that are updated. Before you start telling people they are wrong, you should be sure you are correct.

Screen dropping icons, I've heard of this, never experienced it once myself.
I don't know how long you've used the Droid. Here's just a small sample and I experienced this with virtually nothing on the device too.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...icons-disappearing-home-screens-lil-help.html
All Home Screen Icons disappearing - Android Forums

Blackberry distributors are a pia, specially when there is an update. You got to go to the same distributor, or remember which one you bought the app from remember you PIN number. Too much trouble, the Market is easier.

2.1 is a good update, and the Droid today is a better phone then it was when it first came out. Mine works great, I don't get FC. And now we have 2.2 and pretty soon we will have flash. Will Blackberry get that? I don't think so.
Please explain to me how 2.1 improved your phone over version 2.0 and I'm not just talking about how nothing seems to happen to your Droid (but does for many of us.) What did 2.1 add or change?

Regarding the Market, I agree that the concept is easier but, for the moment, it's a far cry from what it should be. Browsing for apps and phone compatibility is a total and complete PITA. While updating is easier I can lose my mind with the number of necessary updates that are required every week for all of my apps. Blackberry apps got updated when they needed to and were not afflicted by nearly as many bugs, which probably has to do with a far more mature and solid OS.

Getting Flash? That's not a 2.1 update and it's still NOT HERE. By the time it is, there will probably be a few more models out, much faster, better battery life and running it might drain the Droid even further. The OP has some decent points about the update. I still like my Droid but the update was very lame and, in some ways, counterproductive.

I like the droid and 2.1 seems to work good on my phone. I have used a palm, blackberry, and an iphone 3gs. IMO the Droid is hands down the better phone. The choice is up to the consumer. The droid can do what you want it to do, you need to do some research to see if you can make the droid more user friendly for you. If you just do not like the droid vzw have other phones you can choose from.

slinky

Reaction score
I like the droid and 2.1 seems to work good on my phone. I have used a palm, blackberry, and an iphone 3gs. IMO the Droid is hands down the better phone. The choice is up to the consumer. The droid can do what you want it to do, you need to do some research to see if you can make the droid more user friendly for you. If you just do not like the droid vzw have other phones you can choose from.

Why is the Droid a "better" phone? It's the later generation phone of the ones you had earlier. The Palm Treo was a great phone for the time, perhaps the best at one point overall.

The problem everyone here is complaining about isn't that the Droid isn't capable technically of doing some things but that it's still buggy and flaky. I'm glad that the phone works good/well for you. But there are numerous people reporting the same problems. That being the case either you've chosen to overlook them or, somehow, you're the 5% who don't have manufacturing defects.

I really like my Droid but, ever since the 2.1 update, I too have been a bit frustrated by more lag than I had in 2.0. Telling the OP to get another phone isn't an option (we all are stuck in contracts) and also not right (just address some of the big complaints in the darn phone in 8 months and don't put out an update that emphasizes adding Google Goggles as a prime benefit.) My battery life is very poor. Yes, it has a lot of pros and I really like it more than the iPhone but the bugs and lag have been a very frustrating experience as of late.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hate how my droid clicks when I slide the keyboard in and out. On a real quiet day it wakes my mother up and I get hit with a wooden spatula. Now, you all may be laughing at me but you've no idea how much it sucks to have splinters on the side of your dome.

Not true without video.

<click> <SMACK>

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Why is the Droid a "better" phone? It's the later generation phone of the ones you had earlier. The Palm Treo was a great phone for the time, perhaps the best at one point overall.

The problem everyone here is complaining about isn't that the Droid isn't capable technically of doing some things but that it's still buggy and flaky. I'm glad that the phone works good/well for you. But there are numerous people reporting the same problems. That being the case either you've chosen to overlook them or, somehow, you're the 5% who don't have manufacturing defects.

I really like my Droid but, ever since the 2.1 update, I too have been a bit frustrated by more lag than I had in 2.0. Telling the OP to get another phone isn't an option (we all are stuck in contracts) and also not right (just address some of the big complaints in the darn phone in 8 months and don't put out an update that emphasizes adding Google Goggles as a prime benefit.) My battery life is very poor. Yes, it has a lot of pros and I really like it more than the iPhone but the bugs and lag have been a very frustrating experience as of late.

Overclock your droid. That will fix the lag. What else would you like fixed.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Slinky, you're just so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start. First the Blackberry Storm never received Official Updates on a regular basis. I had one for a year and I saw 2 updates. I also had a Blackberry Storm 2 and while that was better then the Storm 1 it doesn't come close to the Droid.
There were several updates to the Storm and many more to the Palm. But as I said, the key is how substantial the updates were, not just the number of updates. To say the 2.1 "update" is lame is a compliment and many agree that it's little more than cosmetic with a few changes under the hood that unfortunately are affecting many apps that are updated. Before you start telling people they are wrong, you should be sure you are correct.

Screen dropping icons, I've heard of this, never experienced it once myself.
I don't know how long you've used the Droid. Here's just a small sample and I experienced this with virtually nothing on the device too.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...icons-disappearing-home-screens-lil-help.html
All Home Screen Icons disappearing - Android Forums

Blackberry distributors are a pia, specially when there is an update. You got to go to the same distributor, or remember which one you bought the app from remember you PIN number. Too much trouble, the Market is easier.

2.1 is a good update, and the Droid today is a better phone then it was when it first came out. Mine works great, I don't get FC. And now we have 2.2 and pretty soon we will have flash. Will Blackberry get that? I don't think so.
Please explain to me how 2.1 improved your phone over version 2.0 and I'm not just talking about how nothing seems to happen to your Droid (but does for many of us.) What did 2.1 add or change?

Regarding the Market, I agree that the concept is easier but, for the moment, it's a far cry from what it should be. Browsing for apps and phone compatibility is a total and complete PITA. While updating is easier I can lose my mind with the number of necessary updates that are required every week for all of my apps. Blackberry apps got updated when they needed to and were not afflicted by nearly as many bugs, which probably has to do with a far more mature and solid OS.

Getting Flash? That's not a 2.1 update and it's still NOT HERE. By the time it is, there will probably be a few more models out, much faster, better battery life and running it might drain the Droid even further. The OP has some decent points about the update. I still like my Droid but the update was very lame and, in some ways, counterproductive.

I said Flash is coming. Didn't say it was here now. On 2.1 I have picnic and zoom browsing and when I scroll on the internet its nice and smooth now. I get better battery life. That's how it improved for me. Oh and lets not forget voice to text. I'm not experiencing any major bugs. I'm quite happy with 2.1. And it kicks butt on a Storm.

Another update is on its way, flash will be added. I just see the Droid getting better all the time.

How long have I had my Droid? Since the day I joined this great forum back in November.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
good point hook, I had my iphone and was bored after a day. Every day there is something new i can do with my droid. This forum has all the tools needed to help you improve your phone.

slinky

Reaction score
I said Flash is coming. Didn't say it was here now. On 2.1 I have picnic and zoom browsing and when I scroll on the internet its nice and smooth now. I get better battery life. That's how it improved for me. Oh and lets not forget voice to text. I'm not experiencing any major bugs. I'm quite happy with 2.1. And it kicks butt on a Storm.

Another update is on its way, flash will be added. I just see the Droid getting better all the time.

How long have I had my Droid? Since the day I joined this great forum back in November.

It's not just here but look at most forums with people who LOVE their phone. There is this inability to just read and answer directly with what issue the poster raises and instead they get all defensive and
(a) ignore the point altogether
(b) point out how much they love the phone which is the best
(c) tell the OP if he doesn't like it then "this phone just may not be for you"
(d) point out how all these other things are amazing but never deal with the original point
(e) tell the OP to jailbreak/root whatever instead of getting on the case of the developer to just fix it and not force users to learn something complex to them and void their warranty in the process

Yeah, I know all about the great things and I love them too. But what REALLY irritates me about the Droid is the inability to get done right the basic things I use the phone for.... a phone. Answer a call should be with a button, not that awful swipe. A choice to turn off that infernal lock. A dock for essential icons, e.g. the phone or ability to reprogram a hard button to launch the phone app.

All these apps running as services in the background eat up your battery and potentially cause more problems instead of having the developer account for all this under the hood. The above should have been done a long time ago.

Look guys... I really like my Droid but the 2.1 update was a real downer. I've found performance lagging and I'm disappointed that Google/Motorola have accomplished virtually nothing in eight months time. In the mobile world that's like 12 dog years. Yeah, all the other stuff is way cool. But for heaven's sake... can they just fix the basics and get it to work without the glitches?

Bottom line - I enjoy the phone because I'm a technical person who experiments. For the average person who just wants the basics to work right, Android is still not really a phone for them. Lots of glitches, things don't work properly and you MUST go to a forum to learn how to replace all the basics. OP has a point, I'm done arguing with you guys. :)

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com

It's not just here but look at most forums with people who LOVE their phone. There is this inability to just read and answer directly with what issue the poster raises and instead they get all defensive and
(d) point out how all these other things are amazing but never deal with the original point
(e) tell the OP to jailbreak/root whatever instead of getting on the case of the developer to just fix it and not force users to learn something complex to them and void their warranty in the process

Yeah, I know all about the great things and I love them too. But what REALLY irritates me about the Droid is the inability to get done right the basic things I use the phone for.... a phone. Answer a call should be with a button, not that awful swipe. A choice to turn off that infernal lock. A dock for essential icons, e.g. the phone or ability to reprogram a hard button to launch the phone app.

All these apps running as services in the background eat up your battery and potentially cause more problems instead of having the developer account for all this under the hood. The above should have been done a long time ago.

Look guys... I really like my Droid but the 2.1 update was a real downer. I've found performance lagging and I'm disappointed that Google/Motorola have accomplished virtually nothing in eight months time. In the mobile world that's like 12 dog years. Yeah, all the other stuff is way cool. But for heaven's sake... can they just fix the basics and get it to work without the glitches?

Bottom line - I enjoy the phone because I'm a technical person who experiments. For the average person who just wants the basics to work right, Android is still not really a phone for them. Lots of glitches, things don't work properly and you MUST go to a forum to learn how to replace all the basics. OP has a point, I'm done arguing with you guys. :)
if you even have a droid get a palm and get on with your life. if you have a palm go back to what ever palm forum you like so we can have a discussion with real members.

thanks.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

if you even have a droid get a palm and get on with your life. if you have a palm go back to what ever palm forum you like so we can have a discussion with real members.

thanks.

:icon_ peace::clap:

I dont know bout you, but if I had that much problems where a phone did not do what I expect then I will not keep it beyond the 30 day. I would look for something that fits me.
The Droid is one of the top selling devices for a reason. Those that did not like it bought something else.
This forum has been good about helping people find other devices that fit them.
You just seem like you are unhappy no matter what we say so you can either do for self or keep complaining.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Storm came out on November 21, 2008. On approximately December 7, 2008 there was an update pushed out. It wasn't until approximately July that the v.5 officially came out. That is TWO official BB Storm updates in it's first year of existence before being replaced by the Storm2.

Since November 2009 when the Moto Droid came out, there have been TWO updates, same as the Storm official updates, but these came in December and April.

I really think you're just looking to keep an argument going. If the Droid has been that bad of a phone for you, take pictures of it, post it on eBay, get a few bucks out of it and go get another phone and be done with it.

By April, 2009 when I had my Storm, I would say 50% of all Crackberry.com users had already replaced their Storm at least once because of the screen issue, and I'd also say it was about 50-50 the number of people who loved their Storm vs. hating their Storm. Take a few minutes and read around the DF threads, and you're going to see very little talk of people hating their Droid or regretting getting an Android device.

Joker

Reaction score
Although telling someone to get a different phone doesn't sound like the forum is trying to help. It is actually sound advice. As mentioned many times in this forum, not every phone is for everyone. If a phone does not do things the way a user wants out of the box, there may be a much better alternative.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok op lets try to solve some of your problems got 2-3 hours to spare

1st go here and read what root is about

2nd go here to root 2.1

3rd install set cpu from market

4th go here overclocking

5th enjoy

or in between step 3 and 4 you can you can go choose a custom rom .. and they will have what overclock kernals work with what rom links on there page some are previosly installed on them as well

this may not be the answer you were looking for but it does not hurt to try it.. yes you will loose all apps but you can reinstall them and all paid will be synced to google account.

I have had my droid since early november been rooted since the update came out.. i had to follow these same steps recently when i had to get a new droid.. (My fault not DROID.. the do not like DR Pepper dunno why :) )

hope this helps and if you have problems post it in rescue squad they will help you out...