Not good news for android

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm no Apple hater , I even have a MacBook in my room besides my PC , but I don't like the either.
Anyway, the courts took seriously the Apple's design patents infringement referring to a rectangular thin device with black bezel and they suggested to other companies not to build thin or rectangular devices . If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is . Now this new patent is more complicated so no doubt it'll be taken seriously .

Hey they had a nice Triangle Tablet on an episode of the Office this season.......just sayin

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
db225856let-660x484.png

OP
zathus

zathus

Reaction score
The out come I see (if they out right win) is bad for android. Apple wants to destroy android. Its not about money. Jobs made that very clear. Android will have to remove the stuff apple wins on. I don't see an end to it either. They have sued for slide to unlock, pinch to zoom, what's in the op and a few other things I can't recall right now. Apple didn't care when android was only 5 percent of the market. Now that they're 51 percent all hell is breaking loose. I hope google put a patent on notifications, multitasking, folders, and all the other crap apple has used. Only time can tell how bad this might get.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Who cares what apple wants to do. If google patented everything of theirs...what would we have?

That's why apple is pathetic. Bunch of losers, that's it.

I'm afraid they might win, cause they have the money to sway the judges...but then again google is google.

xxpigxx

Reaction score
See that's the pat response from the apple haters, make some extremely ridiculous analogy and act like it actually fits the situation.

How about this.

-- one example is that "the system may receive data that includes a phone number, highlight it for a user, and then, in response to a user's interaction with the highlighted text, offer the user the choice of making a phone call to the number--

My PC back in 1994 received data. My PC highlighted it, and then in response to the user's (me) interaction with the highlighted text, offered me the choice of what I wanted to do with that information (including copy and paste lol).

This should not have been patentable, as it is a basic function of most electronics with a CPU and an I/O system.

Apple can go die in a fire.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about this.

-- one example is that "the system may receive data that includes a phone number, highlight it for a user, and then, in response to a user's interaction with the highlighted text, offer the user the choice of making a phone call to the number--

My PC back in 1994 received data. My PC highlighted it, and then in response to the user's (me) interaction with the highlighted text, offered me the choice of what I wanted to do with that information (including copy and paste lol).

This should not have been patentable, as it is a basic function of most electronics with a CPU and an I/O system.

is your PC a smartphone? Is it a portable device? And yes those 2 things absolutely matter in the patents.

xxpigxx

Reaction score
is your PC a smartphone? Is it a portable device? And yes those 2 things absolutely matter in the patents.

Here is the patent.

It says nothing of smartphones or being portable.

----------------------------------------------------
--[SIZE=+1]System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data [/SIZE]

Abstract A system and method causes a computer to detect and perform actions on structures identified in computer data. The system provides an analyzer server, an application program interface, a user interface and an action processor. The analyzer server receives from an application running concurrently data having recognizable structures, uses a pattern analysis unit, such as a parser or fast string search function, to detect structures in the data, and links relevant actions to the detected structures. The application program interface communicates with the application running concurrently, and transmits relevant information to the user interface. Thus, the user interface can present and enable selection of the detected structures, and upon selection of a detected structure, present the linked candidate actions. Upon selection of an action, the action processor performs the action on the detected structure.

What is claimed is:

1. A computer-based system for detecting structures in data and performing actions on detected structures, comprising:

an input device for receiving data;

an output device for presenting the data;

a memory storing information including program routines including

an analyzer server for detecting structures in the data, and for linking actions to the detected structures;

a user interface enabling the selection of a detected structure and a linked action; and

an action processor for performing the selected action linked to the selected structure; and

a processing unit coupled to the input device, the output device, and the memory for controlling the execution of the program routines.
--

---------------------------------------------

That is, like I said, the basic electronic that has a CPU and an I/O system.

Never mind the second patent listed, which could relate to many many electronic devices.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is the patent.

It says nothing of smartphones or being portable.

----------------------------------------------------
--[SIZE=+1]System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data [/SIZE]

Abstract A system and method causes a computer to detect and perform actions on structures identified in computer data. The system provides an analyzer server, an application program interface, a user interface and an action processor. The analyzer server receives from an application running concurrently data having recognizable structures, uses a pattern analysis unit, such as a parser or fast string search function, to detect structures in the data, and links relevant actions to the detected structures. The application program interface communicates with the application running concurrently, and transmits relevant information to the user interface. Thus, the user interface can present and enable selection of the detected structures, and upon selection of a detected structure, present the linked candidate actions. Upon selection of an action, the action processor performs the action on the detected structure.

What is claimed is:

1. A computer-based system for detecting structures in data and performing actions on detected structures, comprising:

an input device for receiving data;

an output device for presenting the data;

a memory storing information including program routines including

an analyzer server for detecting structures in the data, and for linking actions to the detected structures;

a user interface enabling the selection of a detected structure and a linked action; and

an action processor for performing the selected action linked to the selected structure; and

a processing unit coupled to the input device, the output device, and the memory for controlling the execution of the program routines.
--

---------------------------------------------

That is, like I said, the basic electronic that has a CPU and an I/O system.

Fair enough but if Apple didn't invent it, and I don't know that they did, why were they awarded the Patent? They certainly weren't the powerhouse they are now, so there's no conspiracy as some would suggest.

xxpigxx

Reaction score
Who knows?

lol

but it is friggin stupid as all get out.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
How about this.

It's a little more than that , it's about recognizing a specific pattern inside some data , for example on the current smartphones if a displayed text has a phone number , you can long press on it and it'll give you an option to call the number , you won't have this option on the text that doesn't match the pattern . When it was filed in 1996 smartphones weren't even out , this was filed as a generic method for handling data on a computing device , anyway similar methods were in use at the time and have been used in different systems long time before this the patent was filed .

Read the patent it's not for smartphones or portable devices . The patent is for a data handling method on a "A computer-based system" , that can range from your laptop or smartphone to a car dashboard or ATM .

alboboy10

Reaction score
Fair enough but if Apple didn't invent it, and I don't know that they did, why were they awarded the Patent? They certainly weren't the powerhouse they are now, so there's no conspiracy as some would suggest.

Because nobody else probably patented it. To be honest Microsoft and apple are both pathetic as of lately. Microsoft with their dumb comments about Android being for scientists...and apple with THIS. I don't understand why the sue right after releasing the 4s where its most advertised functions have been on Android for years now