Not good news for android

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I gave you a like for the "God I hate apple" line.

Love how apple can steal stuff and then turn around and get pissy and sue someone for supposedly doing the same thing.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is some serious stuff right here. These lawsuits are getting downright nasty. This could have repercussions across all manufacturers. Not looking good....

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok those patents are BS....highlighting phone numbers and addresses?? They can't be serious. Not sure what the second patent pertained too but I don't think this will change anything.

"Stay classy interwebz"

Byakushiki

Reaction score
My old flip phone did that...wonder how this would've gone if moto patented it. Or nokia (or basically most flip phone makers). Someone ought to buy Palm's portfolio of patents, because supposedly, a case of palm v apple=no winner.

Interesting fact: palm patented auto brightness.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok those patents are BS....highlighting phone numbers and addresses?? They can't be serious. Not sure what the second patent pertained too but I don't think this will change anything.

"Stay classy interwebz"

it's highlighting and then giving the option to call the number, get the address in gps and so on. So it's more than just highlighting. These patents are kind of stupid but if Apple does truly have them then they have earned the right to license them or do with them as they see fit. That being said, my guess is all the OEM's are going to end up paying a "small" licensing fee to Apple to keep these features in place. This definitely has potential to be the nastiest of the lawsuits we have seen so far.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
How the hell were they allowed to patent something like this ? This is just ridiculous , my first PDA phone had this in 2000 , that's 7 years before the iPhone , shouldn't presenting in court a Nokia Communicator from 1997 or something like that render the patent invalid ? Is there a lawyer on this forum to advise ?
It sounds like you can patent pretty much everything . I wonder if there's a patent for "a box with cold air" , I should register this and the sue all the refrigerator manufacturers , frigorific vans , cars with A/C . cooler manufacturers . carbon ice shipments , Coca-Cola vending machines etc.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
How the hell were they allowed to patent something like this ? This is just ridiculous , my first PDA phone had this in 2000 , that's 7 years before the iPhone , shouldn't presenting in court a Nokia Communicator from 1997 or something like that render the patent invalid ? Is there a lawyer on this forum to advise ?
It sounds like you can patent pretty much everything . I wonder if there's a patent for "a box with cold air" , I should register this and the sue all the refrigerator manufacturers , frigorific vans , cars with A/C . cooler manufacturers . carbon ice shipments , Coca-Cola vending machines etc.

Its not that simple though, now they seem like trivial patents but at one point this was brand new technology. So yes it seems like something so simple and stupid now but it wasn't always that way. If I were the first to invent a box with cold air, you bet your sweet cheeks I would patent it, license it or go after those who dont use my license.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Its not that simple though, now they seem like trivial patents but at one point this was brand new technology. So yes it seems like something so simple and stupid now but it wasn't always that way. If I were the first to invent a box with cold air, you bet your sweet cheeks I would patent it, license it or go after those who dont use my license.

But the thing is , when they released the iPhone this wasn't new technology at all . I can't talk about the second patent , but the first one refers to features that were integrated in PDA phones and computers way before . Now I see that the first patent was filed inFebruary 1 1996 but it still refers to a method that was pretty common at the time in tech world and was used in computers since 60's board games only that nobody thought of patenting something like that . The principle even goes back all the way to 1700 with Baye's theorem .
I think they should have intellectual rights over the source code that allowed them to achieve this , but it's ridiculous to have a patent for the result when there was already something similar to this used in other fields . But what to expect from a company that copied most of their technology , put it in a nice package , have to give them that , and now they are crying that somebody else is stealing the technology that they have previously stolen .

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
But the thing is , when they released the iPhone this wasn't new technology at all . I can't talk about the second patent , but the first one refers to features that were integrated in PDA phones and computers way before . Now I see that the first patent was filed inFebruary 1 1996 but it still refers to a method that was pretty common at the time in tech world and was used in computers since 60's board games only that nobody thought of patenting something like that . The principle even goes back all the way to 1700 with Baye's theorem .
I think they should have intellectual rights over the source code that allowed them to achieve this , but it's ridiculous to have a patent for the result when there was already something similar to this used in other fields . But what to expect from a company that copied most of their technology , put it in a nice package , have to give them that , and now they are crying that somebody else is stealing the technology that they have previously stolen .

so is it Apple's fault they were awarded these patents???

smokiedabong

Reaction score
so is it Apple's fault they were awarded these patents???

Nope , you're right , it isn't .
Which got me thinking , tomorrow morning I'm gonna apply for a patent . I'm gonna call it
"System and method for moving large objects over large distances with minimal effort"
Abstract
"A circular object that revolves on an axle is attached to an object to enable it to roll with ease over the ground "

I bet there's no patent for this , I'm gonna be rich I tell you

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
See that's the pat response from the apple haters, make some extremely ridiculous analogy and act like it actually fits the situation. I hate the lawsuits too but it's not like Apple doesn't atleast have a case for these lawsuits, if they didn't the courts wouldn't even take them as far as they do but I am sure that's all just a conspiracy of Apple paying off the courts. :blink:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
See that's the pat response from the apple haters, make some extremely ridiculous analogy and act like it actually fits the situation. I hate the lawsuits too but it's not like Apple doesn't atleast have a case for these lawsuits, if they didn't the courts wouldn't even take them as far as they do but I am sure that's all just a conspiracy of Apple paying off the courts. :blink:

I'm no Apple hater , I even have a MacBook in my room besides my PC , but I don't like the either.
Anyway, the courts took seriously the Apple's design patents infringement referring to a rectangular thin device with black bezel and they suggested to other companies not to build thin or rectangular devices . If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is . Now this new patent is more complicated so no doubt it'll be taken seriously .