Not getting new mail notification in status bar for initial setup/default gmail acct.

funops

Reaction score
Hi. When I set up my Droid 4 via activation / initial setup, I gave my gmail account and made that the default. I subsequently set up a couple more Accounts (work, mine). If I understand correctly, to access that initial setup gmail account, I tap open the Gmail envelope icon/app. To access my other accounts, it seems I have to tap open the Email envelope icon/app?

I have the Gmail default account set to display email notifications in the status bar, for every new mail. Yet, nothing displays. I am almost sure it did initially display a gray'ish icon, but I've never seen it again even though I'm receiving new email in that account. Whereas, the other accounts I created, via the Email app, displays a notification of new mail in the status bar (red postage stamp-like icon with @ symbol).

Obviously I'm a bit confused about the two mail apps (Gmail, Email) but I'm wondering why I cannot get the default gmail account created at initial setup to display notifications in the status bar even though I definitely have that checked off in its settings.

Any suggestions on where I've gone wrong with this?

Thank you,
Bob

ggiannop

Reaction score
I have the same problem with only one account. I' ve read that it s a known bug and it will be fixed. I haven't seen the fix yet though!

ggiannop

Reaction score
Thanks, I found the solution. On my HTC ONE X with android 4.x I had turned Auto syncing Off in Settings-Accounts & Sync. It seems that the general rule blocks the app's settings. The problem was with syncing, not notifications!

OP
F

funops

Reaction score
That did the trick, thank you for posting. :)

Bob