not getting gmail notifications

miltk

Reaction score
lg ge
android v.6
gmail software is current

i thought this would be a general android question more than an lg question...

i'm not getting notifications on top when i get email. 4 accounts, of which 3 are not notifying me. one however,,,the latest account i added, is notifying me. i get the occasional "sync error" that i've been getting in android since the dawn of time but it never affected the notifications up top,,,or anything else for that matter. however NOW, i just realized the problem.

i get the emails,,,they're all there. just NO notifications when they arrive in the inbox. i checked everything i could think of. dunno what's going on.

any help please,,,,thx

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do you have G Mail Labels setup (Primary, Updates, Forums, etc)? If so, check G Mail Settings > Manage Labels and make sure each Label type has a notification option & sound selected.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
i don't have that set up so i don't think that solution applies. my gmail is the same as it's always been. is this something that's done on the desktop or phone?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
i don't have that set up so i don't think that solution applies. my gmail is the same as it's always been. is this something that's done on the desktop or phone?
Enabling Labels can be done from your phone or PC. If you see three tabs (or more) when logged in to G Mail on a PC (Primary, Updates , Forums) then Labels is enabled, and each Label has its own Notification settings in your phone.

I would recommend checking this on your phone:. Open G Mail > 3 line menu > Settings > select an account (you said you had more than one) > make sure Notifications is checked. Then select Inbox Sound & Vibrate > Vibrate On / Off as you prefer. Then Sound > make sure a tone is selected and not the None option. Then use the back narrow back to the main G Mail screen.

Do that for each account.

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
whats the diff between default and primary inbox.

why is there a "notify for every message"...which btw it is unchecked. doesn't it make sense that i get notified for all messages anyway.

btw, i don't label anything so shouldn't i be receiving all my email unfiltered

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
For the first question, straight from Google:
"Read your most important emails first using Priority Inbox. When you choose this inbox type, Gmail tries to figure out which messages are important to you and then separates them out from everything else in your inbox. If Gmail guesses wrong, you can mark the email yourself to help teach GMail"

The Notify Me For All is there in case some people only want to receive one notification when new mail arrives, instead of a sound for every single message. Some folks receive a lot of mail and don't want a sound for every new message, I guess.

If you don't have Labels enabled then yes, all mail should go to your Inbox and not be filtered by categories.

Last edited:

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm starting to notice this too. Again. I think it's something to do with the Gmail app because I'm certainly receiving emails in a timely fashion on the web.

For one...the other morning I woke up and checked my phone as I typically do and saw there were no notifications from overnight. I don't always receive email throughout the night but if I do, usually I see the notification when I check it in the morning. So I just went on my way...when I got to worked, I opened up my personal Gmail on my PC to check for something else and saw that there was a new message that came in the previous night at 10:30 pm. I looked at my phone again and still saw no notification...and then the notification for it showed up a moment later, but it had a timestamp of that moment which was like 7 am.

And it just happened now...I just got home, sat down at my PC and opened up Gmail, and saw a message sitting there from 8:20 pm. I look at the phone...no notification...a short moment later, the notification shows up with the message timestamped 8:29.

I've seen it on a few other occasions as well. I may not see any notifications for a few hours and then suddenly I have 3 messages waiting...I look at the messages and they have timestamps from different times over the previous few hours.

It's a little weird. I don't have any crazy filters set up (just ones to add labels to messages, but they don't get filed away or unread) and I don't use the Priority Inbox or anything like that. This happened a while back too and then it just resolved itself. I think I even raised the concern in a thread somewhere on here.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Happened to me today. I'm on 7.1.1 beta. I think it's a Gmail app server sync issue. I didn't get a notification. I was in the app looking at something and found it. Has happened a few times in the past week.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk