Not getting 4G-LTE speeds on laptop when tethering...

flooritnfly

Reaction score
My Thunderbolt is rooted and LTE is live throughout campus down the road from me at Notre Dame. I get 4G speeds on my Thunderbolt just fine, all the way up to 40mbps down and 15mbps up.....But when I tether to my laptop, I get 2-3mbps down and 1mbps up AT BEST!

I have tried every free tethering app out there, both wireless and wired.....no dice.
What am I doing wrong? Is there some sort of trick to doing it?
confused.gif
confused.gif

brandon9559

Reaction score
Older computers may have limitations. I have an older laptop at work connected to a 4G mifi and it totally sucks...super slow. On every newer laptop I've used I get 4G speeds

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
F

flooritnfly

Reaction score
Is there any way to get around that? My laptop is an '04.....ancient in pc terms. I would test it now on my desktop except the LTE cloud closest to me is a 10 min drive away....but it is launching here in a month.

Do you think its just the wireless card? What if I get a new usb wireless dongle and use that and disable the stock internal one? Think that'll fix it?

brandon9559

Reaction score
More than likely the wireless card. Before you run out and buy one try it on someone elsewhere computer or consult with someone who knows more about it. Im no expert but in my opinion, I would start there.

OP
F

flooritnfly

Reaction score
More than likely the wireless card. Before you run out and buy one try it on someone elsewhere computer or consult with someone who knows more about it. Im no expert but in my opinion, I would start there.

Word. It's not the biggest deal if I can't get it to work on my laptop when LTE is here in a month, I'm more concerned about my desktop.