Not charging while attached via USB?

raven1911

Reaction score
I have tethered my droid to my computer and have noticed that it does not charge but just stays at a given percentage of battery. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem or not? I am confused. I turn off the display and everything but it still doesn't raise the battery level.

OP
raven1911

raven1911

Reaction score
I don't understand the bad USB because it indicates its charging on my phone with the little symbol, but doesn't raise the level. I am also using that USB port for the tethering, so it would have to function. I have also tried other USB ports as well on the computer. I might try a different computer and see if I have the same problem.

se7en11

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the issue, but not all USB ports provide power. Most do on newer machines but if you're using a USB hub or something similar you may not have enough power to charge the unit.

Like you mentioned above try a different port and machine. If it still does not charge try connecting it to the wall with the included wall charger. If that still does not charge, you either have a bad USB cable or the issue is with the phone. In both cases you should be able to take it to a Verizon store for a replacement on the cable or phone.

Please let us know the outcome since others may have a similar issue.

canyoufindben

Reaction score
I have tethered my droid to my computer and have noticed that it does not charge but just stays at a given percentage of battery. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem or not? I am confused. I turn off the display and everything but it still doesn't raise the battery level.

Have you been leaving your screen on? With my screen off, my phone charges really quick (from dead to full in 3 hours). However, my with my screen on, and using Navigation in the car (with a rapid car charger) it take a very long time to charge. Sometimes feels like it isn't, but as soon as I turn off the screen it starts charging fast again.

H

harpjames35

Try turning on usb debugging in the settings > applications > developers section of the menu. Fixed mine.

MikeDroid

Reaction score
I have had several situations where phone would not charge while using the charger/cable that comes with the unit. I am not sure re: the pins may be off. I purchased a cheap 6 foot cable from ebay and that seemed to help

OP
raven1911

raven1911

Reaction score
The debugging is on and screen turned off. I have used multiple outlets.

Problem is when I plug it into my computer I am most likely transferring data or using PdaNet. I turn the screen off but it still does not charge. It doesn't lose power, but usually just stays at whatever battery % it was plugged in with....Weird.

I did leave it plugged into the computer for like 3 hours yesterday and it charged to full capacity but it was so slow charging it. I think it was 70% when I plugged it in and it took 2.5-3 hours to charge it 30%! I think there is just not as much juice flowing through the cord in a USB port as opposed to an outlet. I guess I will just live with it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The signal strength at my home is so bad that if it's connected to the USB, I loose battery power. At work, where the signal is good, it's much better.