Not Charging or Reading Files with 2012 Honda Civic's USB

btonetbone

Reaction score
Hi all -
The 2012 Honda Civic has a built-in USB port, which is supposed to allow people to read files off flash drives/phones, and also provide a charging option for phones. When I plug mine in, though, it looks like it is constantly connecting/losing connection/reconnecting to a powered USB source, which makes me worry for my battery. The phone gets very hot, and the battery still will die if I use GPS. I have a cigarette lighter adapter which works fine in the meantime, but I'd much rather use the technology built in to the car.

I am using the original cable that came with my Droid3, and have also tried swapping it out. I brought it to the dealership where they ran some tests, and determined that the port is working properly. I have also tried it with music on a thumb drive and my wife's iPhone; both of those work like they are supposed to.

Has anyone else tried to use their Droid 3 in a 2012 Civic?

Vyruz

Reaction score
I have a droid bionic and it doesn't work. If anyone knows of a way to fix it i would be very happy.

SeguinSlaze

Reaction score
(Resulting conclusion)
Operator error: That port is designed specifically for devices that can dramatically effect optics and performance.

You might have been able to keep some coin in the bank if you purchased a 5 year old Honda with a stock deck. File-viewing/driving habits are frowned upon by more than 96% of witnesses. At this exact percentage, they all agree it is frowned upon due to the cause of murder in the third degree."

...12v works for power source. aux input for audio. Simplify your issues. Food for thought, however, this is not an android os error. Your vehicle manufacturer/registered dealer will be the only one that can solve this issue. Given the year and make of the vehicle I'm sure the functionality of this feature is backed by warranty. Make sure there is/is not a program you must install in order for the port to communicate.

Seacrest out

Sent from my DROID3

SecretAgentMan

Reaction score
The D3 has a slightly higher charging current (i.e amperage, not voltage) than a lot of other cell phones. I have seen aftermarket chargers fail in the same way. Odds are that the port you are using is not providing sufficient current to properly charge the phone. I don't think there is anything you can do about that.