Not Call Log = battery drain

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by dezymond, Jan 23, 2010.

1. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

So I installed 'Not Call Log' yesterday morning and was loving it, but to my surprise I found a huge flaw in it, this app drains the battery very quickly!

By the end of yesterday I was down from 90% to 60% by about 12pm with very light use of my phone. Usually with that little use I'm down to about 70% at most, usually I'm at 80% with that kind of use. So I head off to bed around 12:30am and mess around with facebook for about 30 minutes with some music in the background, so til about 1am (i'm down to 40% now). I woke up in the middle of the night to a 5% warning and to plug in the phone, about 5am. So I'm wondering what's going on. I check my apps and the only culprit is 'Not Call Log'. (it's the only app i downloaded recently)

So my fellow Droiders, new and old, the app is great, but the extreme strain on the battery doesn't seem worth it to me. Having that huge of a decrease in battery life isn't worth the time I save from pushing the home key after a call. Yes I could just charge my Droid every night, but I like to save a little electricity and see how long I can use my Droid without having to plug it in.

(I searched for this topic, but didn't find any. Sorry mods if it's a repost/double-post. Also, sorry for it being so long, but this forum loves detail right?:icon_ banana:)
  2. dezymond

I'd also like to mention that "Not Call Log" was probably the only app I had that really does constantly run in the background, so that kind of territory was new to me.
  3. Houndstooth

Houndstooth New Member

Thanks for the info. I was the OP in that thread and this sucks to hear, though I would have never noticed it myself since my Droid is plugged in about 80% of the time.
  4. Houndstooth

Houndstooth New Member

5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

huh?? I've been running this for a few days now and have noticed NO difference in battery drain. It doesn't even show up on my "battery use" screen so I'm wondering if it's not a conflict with some other app or something.

Are you running any "home replacement" app? If so maybe that's causing some problems...
  6. dezymond

everything on my Droid is factory.

That was the only app I've ever had that really runs in the background and it drained it so fast.

I've went to bed multiple times at 40% and woke up with 30% the next morning, sometimes even 40%.

Apps I have installed:
    aCar
    BatteryLife
    Buka Lite
    CalWidget
    Digital Clock Widget
    Documents To Go
    Wells Fargo
    ES File Explorer
    Gameboid Lite
    Goggles
    Google Sky Map
    Handcent
    Meebo
    MotoTorch LED
    Pandora
    Ringdroid
    Screebl Lite
    ShopSavvy
    SNESoid Lite
    SportsTap
    Swype
    TasKiller

Before I go to bed I kill usually what's left open; Browser, Facebook, Meebo, SportsTap.

(Yes I did my usual "kill before sleep" and Not Call Log was the culprit. GPS/Wi-Fi/BT were all off.)
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Interesting. You should def contact the developer(s). Seems to be something that's causing a big difference between our devices.
  8. les017

les017 New Member

interesting as I have been running this since December 1st and have never even seen it show up in the list at all. Wonder why the big difference?
  9. dezymond

just e-mailed the developer. Hopefully he can fix it or at least look into it.

Thanks for the help guys.

<3 this forum
  10. rogerl

rogerl New Member

not call log developer

Thanks for getting in touch with me! Im the developer of NotCallLog, and I would like to tell you guys a few things about my app. It does not run all of the time. It is a broadcast receiver that listens for a phone call to end, then runs for a less than a second and quits all the way. Sometimes I see that the prefs app doesn't shut down everytime, but that shouldn't run the battery down. If you guys could look at the battery use by app screen in the settings of android 1.6 then you could see that not call log isn't doing much at all. I hope to resolve this issue because I am all about customer service. I will post here more later after I can help you guys more. Post any more anomolies here if you find them.
    Thank you
    -Roger L
    Creator of not call log and RingRandom Beta
  11. dezymond

roger,

thanks so much for responding to this thread.

As much as I hate to say it, but I believe it is your app that caused so much battery drain on my phone. I have a feeling, along with the other members of this forum, feel like it interferes with another app? I never noticed such a huge battery drain before I installed "Not Call Log". I have since uninstalled it and my battery hasn't drained much at all. I would also like to point out I never received any calls during the middle of the night. I don't know what's going on. I listed all the apps I have on there and do my usual routine and it had never drained so much before i installed "Not Call Log".

It's an excellent app and I hope you find a fix for it. I mean I could live without it, the extra press of the home key doesn't take too much of my time. Hopefully this issue can be resolved.
  12. rogerl

rogerl New Member

dezmond-
    I still don't quite understand how my app could be draining your battery, as it doesn't even run until you get a phone call, but i will do some testing as I am putting out an update in the next day or so. Have you tried to pin down the culprit with a battery usage monitor app? or does it show up constantly in TaskPanel? What have you noticed? Do you have logs collected that show my app running all the time? over and over in a loop or something?

Let me know what you find...
    Thanks again

Roger L
  13. Houndstooth

Houndstooth New Member

Just so you know, a lot of people aren't having this problem and really love your app.

Thread here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...60-how-get-end-call-go-right-home-screen.html
    Thanks for your work.
  14. rogerl

rogerl New Member

Thank you! :greendroid:
  15. dezymond

Good lookin out Houndstooth.

Like I said Roger, in my email, that my battery never drained so quickly. Maybe it could've been the network stuck broadcasting, maybe not. If you come out with an update, I will try again as an app like that really shouldn't drain battery that much.
  16. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

great app roger...i just found this! thanks
  17. Harrybub

Harrybub New Member

Same here.

HB
  18. rogerl

rogerl New Member

Hey everyone! I am the creator of not call log, and i am in the need of some assistance in getting to the GoogleIO conference this year! It is $400 plus airfare/hotel! I have created a little donation app that allows you do donate to my cause through paypal! plus you get a dorky version of snake, some music by my friends in Boomzzilla, and you will get a free version of my new app RingRandom (reg .99) as soon as i release it, in the coming weeks.
    Please show your support for my app, and donate!
    Thanks again for all of the support!
    -Roger L

[​IMG]
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I've been running NotCallLog as long as I can remember in my Droid's lifetime :)
    I have had absolutely no issues with battery drain. Matter of fact I forget the app is even on the phone :)
Search tags for this page

not call log prefs

not call log prefs app