not as in love as i used to be

cool username

Reaction score
Before 2.1 I was rooted with droidmod and loved it, I had no complaints. Then the update came and I couldn't find any helpful info on how to get the popup to go away so I unrooted and updated. And boy do I regret that.. maybe I'm the only one? I haven't been on the forums lately cause I kinda became uninterested so maybe I'm not alone.

Anyways besides the fact that I haven't noticed a SINGLE new feature or benefit, my droid is painfully slow. I find myself yelling at it to hurry up which reminds me of my first computer with AOL.

I hardly have apps, pictures or music. To be clear, I'm not talking about my internet browsing speed, I'm talking about when I press home or try to open an app it takes FOREVER.

And on an unrelated note, something else is annoying me. When I open something in a new tab on dolphin and the close the tab to go back to the original page it always refreshes it. Its obnoxious and takes forever and I can't find a setting to make it stop.

Sorry for the rant needed to get it out cause I'm not about to complain about my droid to my iphone loving bf. Just want it to go back to the way it was... :(

RoLa

Reaction score
I say ditch the bf....give em an ultimatum....lol....just kiddin..If you want to re-root you better do it quick....I have been reading info stating there is going to be another update that blocks access of flashing sbf files....which is exactly what you would need to do in order to root again...

EDIT: I was watching this thread earlier today and just skipped to the end to find out if it was legit or not. Turns out that the update does not block the sbf flashing. Feel free to thumb through this P.O.S thread and TRY to find any good info....I warn you..... Good luck with this.http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ate-alert-still-2-1-a.html?highlight=recovery.

Last edited:

brando56894

Reaction score
Yea just re-root and overclock and youll be back in business. As for the update it doesn't lock anything down, a guy just installed it over on droid-life and said that he could still flash via rsd lite.

RoLa

Reaction score
Got this over at Droid life...It's a good step by step tut...if you need a visual click on the link. Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog After you have SPrecovery just put a ROM in your nandroid folder and you'll be good to go..
Less than a week after the DroidMod team ruffled some feathers with their announcement that a real 2.1 root exploit would likely never be found, they come through with a method that’s almost as easy. The process involves using RSD Lite and the flashing of an SBF file (which you might be shuttering at), but is only changing the recovery image of your phone and as far as I know, is much less risky than flashing the full 2.0.1 SBF which was previously mentioned. Let me try to explain this. If you go through with the process I’ve outlined below and in video, your phone will NOT be rooted, but will have SPRecovery installed instead of the stock Droid recovery. So why is this good news? Because SPRecovery will allow you to flash a 2.1 custom ROM which will give you 2.1 root access. That make sense?
Recap: This process will NOT give you root access to 2.1, but will allow you to get there much easier than previous instructions. When we are finished, this process will give you the opportunity to flash a custom ROM which will in turn, give you root access. (Yay!) Now please read the warning.
*Warning* – The process we are about to layout is extremely risky. If you choose to do this, we are not liable should you brick your phone or cause any sort of permanent damage. If you do harm to your phone, please do not email us asking for help as you have already been warned and accept all risk involved. Cheers!
Initial steps…
1. Download the SPRecovery SBF: SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf
2. Place the file somewhere other than your desktop.
3. DO NOT RENAME OR ATTEMPT TO UNZIP OR ANYTHING.
Video instructions…

Step-by-step instructions…
1. Remember this post? Well we’re back to it only simplifying.
2. Download your correct Motorola USB drivers and install. (32-bit) (64-bit)
3. Download and install RSD Lite 4.6. Link to download at this post.
4. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off.
5. Open RSD Lite (run as administrator).
6. Slide open your keyboard, hold up on the d-pad, then the power button for 5 seconds and release.
Your phone should then boot to a black screen which is your bootloader.
7. Click the … next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the SPRecover_ESE81.sbf file.
8. Double click and open the file.
9. Click “start” and allow the SPRecovery SBF to flash. This should not take long.
10. Allow for your phone to reboot and for RSD Lite to show that you are 100% and completed.
11. Close RSD Lite and disconnect your phone. You are done.
What about root and custom ROMs?
Your phone is now still sitting at official stock 2.1, but has SPRecovery as your recovery image. This is great news as it will allow us to install a 2.1 custom ROM with root access. If you are familiar with flashing ROMs manually in SPRecovery, go for it
For instructions on how to install a custom 2.1 rooted ROM, visit
this post.

Last edited:

superglen99

Reaction score
I'm gonna recomment bugless beast after trying cyanogen since 5.0.5.2 and up to 5.0.6.2. I just switched and its just so much smoother, faster, works better and is great!

brando56894

Reaction score
IMO BBv1 > Cyanogen 5.0.6.*

Bugless Beast v1 is simply amazing and v1.1 will be what pete wanted v1 to be. I was on cyanogen (based) roms and they were pretty good, jrummys looked nice but was always really laggy on my phone, koush's cyanogen was nice but was too plain for me and all the other roms in rom manager were all cyanogen based and I wanted something different. I tried BB back when I first rooted my droid back in the beginning of march and wasn't that impressed by it (sorry pete!) so I moved on, I remembered that I hadn't tried any of the newer versions so I looked around. I found the leaked v1 and flashed it and I was blown away at how fast it was. Once I flashed the final version I was even more impressed since you can do slight customizations such as changing the themes and kernels before you flash the rom.

Right now my phone is one fast, sexy beast!

idulfingz

Reaction score
different every week, you would have to ask
I'm gonna recomment bugless beast after trying cyanogen since 5.0.5.2 and up to 5.0.6.2. I just switched and its just so much smoother, faster, works better and is great!

I had to root my girlfriends phone after the update, its pretty easy once you download everything, just watch the youtube walkthrough... and cyanogen 5.0.5.2 will deff feel like a whole new phone once you switch. I had a guy at the verizon store shaking his head in amazement at the difference between mine and the stock

Darkseider

Reaction score
When you re-root may I suggest Bugless Beast v1.0? It is the fastest ROM I have ever used and that's at 800Mhz. Hell it is faster than BB v.7 @ 1Ghz. Give it a shot. Otherwise I suggest Cyanogen 5.0.6.2

Reaction score
Oh and if or prob. when you get the ota update screen jsut accept it and let it run its course. When the phone reboots into sprecovery, it will block the update but when you then reboot your phone thinks you updated so it will stop bothering you though nothing has changed. I DO NOT know if this works the same with clockworkmod recovery or not

OP
cool username

cool username

Reaction score
Ok i am trying to follow those instructions and i'm having trouble with RSD Lite. Its a dumb question but seriously how do you install it? I downloaded it and it goes to my desktop but when i click it, it says it cant open it cause it doesnt know what program created it. and i cant figure out how to install it... I have xp. help?

also i downloaded the correct driver and installed.. if that matters

Last edited:

Rated_R

Reaction score
Should be an windows install file. .msi file i believe. Should install right up. make sure you got the 32bit version not the 64bit version. Redownload it.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I say ditch the bf....give em an ultimatum....lol....just kiddin..If you want to re-root you better do it quick....I have been reading info stating there is going to be another update that blocks access of flashing sbf files....which is exactly what you would need to do in order to root again...

EDIT: I was watching this thread earlier today and just skipped to the end to find out if it was legit or not. Turns out that the update does not block the sbf flashing. Feel free to thumb through this P.O.S thread and TRY to find any good info....I warn you..... Good luck with this.http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ate-alert-still-2-1-a.html?highlight=recovery.

Hey...that thread was so much fun we may plan on doing it again:)

MrKleen

Reaction score
I agree with Pete's BB v.1... simply amazing.

However if your phone is just running poorly and that's your only issue I would consider doing a factory reset. Clear cache and data and load fresh and I bet you would be happy again just like the day you got the phone. It is very easy to do a factory reset....

However if you are going to go the rooting route again, yes give BBv.1 a try!

Good luck.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Should be an windows install file. .msi file i believe. Should install right up. make sure you got the 32bit version not the 64bit version. Redownload it.

2 files are needed. One is the rsd lite install program, the msi file. The other is the driver package. There is one for 64 bit machines and one for 32 bit machines. Good chance XP is 32 bit:)