Not as disappointed as before.....

OP
D

DebDroid

Reaction score
That reply IS hilarious! Thanks romeov!

I don't really have problems with the keyboard....I rarely use it. LOL The onscreen keyboard works great. The camera works okay for me, I'm not trying to win any awards for camera phone pics. The browser/apps work great for me. My only problems have been when I couldn't hang up that phone call and the only thing that REALLY annoyed me is.....I couldn't get that damn body glove snap on cover off easily. And some minor problems with the sound that occur every now and then.

I was disappointed with the lack of speed dial but someone here gave a solution to that and it has worked out. I think tons of people were hoping it was going to be just like the iphone......just get an iPod Touch then and a regular phone for calls. That's how I used to somehow make it through life. I don't feel like I want an iPhone anymore....I used to. I would give up my Touch too but I don't want any music on my Droid. Sure, if Verizon somehow got the iphone, I might be tempted but for now I'm super happy.

johnnieeve

Reaction score
Iphone has had years to fix, redo, tweek and reinvent themselves. My guess is that phone has changed quite a bit since it first appeared.
Our Droid has now been on sale for two weeks. Upgrades have already been announced. Management is paying attention. I long ago learned if I jump in on a brand new product (Electronic or Automotive as examples) in its early days, I immediately become a "Beta tester". Perhaps mbraat jumped on board a bit early. Go DROID!

romeov

Reaction score
"I apologize for reposting the message, but this is the best reply I've seen in the forum. I printed it out (so 90's). Now I'm keeping the Droid for sure."

Printing it out? wowza! That is indeed a compliment! Thanks Sam.
Glad everyone got a kick out of it, I was just pretty riled up at the unfounded attack, and felt it needed a rebuttal. No device is perfect, but if you're going to bash, make sure it's for the right reasons I always say.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I never understood why people dislike the keyboard. I use the keyboard more than the virtual on screen ones when I text or type. Why press a screen you are trying to look at, and cut the screen size in half?

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I never understood why people dislike the keyboard. I use the keyboard more than the virtual on screen ones when I text or type. Why press a screen you are trying to look at, and cut the screen size in half?

Well, I can't speak for everybody but the main reasons I don't like it are:

• The keys are flat with no reference point (raised dot) to orient yourself without having to look.
  • The tactile feedback on keypress isn't very good.
  • There's not much room between the top row and the top half of the phone, especially with a cover on.

I admit, I've not used it a whole lot as the virtual keyboard works pretty well for me. It could be that if I used it exclusively for a while I'd adapt.

I agree with you on cutting your screen real estate in half.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Can you explain how the top of the line offering can't send a simple text message to a group distribution list when even the free phones ou get with a contract can? "

I can: You have come to a smartphone with the expectation that it will do everything your last PHONE did.

I'll make this short and sweet: you bought a droid, a smartphone which in reality is a computer that also happens to make phone calls.

If you find it lacking in some respect, go find an app to perform that action, most likely you can find one.

This perception can be applied to any smartphone that you decide to get.

I will tell you one thing, the android OS wil only get better and better because a company like google is behind it, not RIM, nor Apple.

If you dont like it, then return it and get something that you feel meets your needs.

Personally I think you should stay with it, I decided on the droid based upon knowing that eventually as android matures, it will be the system to use.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"and at the moment has a much more vast app market. (not for long though) "

In addition to that, (This can be a minus in addition to the larger plus):

There is no Stranglehold on developers making apps for this OS. Unline Apple.

We are seeing some C&D ona couple now, but that is due to them being so close to copyrighted material it is truly SCARY ...

downside to the market being open is the possibility of DL'ing a bad designed app, but it's been that way for computers for years, and that's the way I like it.

Note to everyone, comment on your apps! :)