Not All Nandroids Equal?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by VingInMedina, Sep 6, 2010.

1. VingInMedina

VingInMedina New Member

I have a couple of questions about Nandroid backups.

I had originally rooted my droid using the Universal Androot application. As part of that process I loaded Rom Manager and flashed the ClockWork recovery. Because of all the stuff I have been reading here and I problem that I ran into, I decided to back out that process and root my phone using the procedure written up by MotoCache1. Which, by the way, I have to say was a fantastic write up. If you are thinking of rooting your phone, he has really provided you with everything you need to know.

Anyway, I now have SPRecovery on my phone and this leads me to my question about Nandroid backups.

I had several backups done by the ClockWork recovery and new ones done by SPRecovery. I have noticed that the file structure between the two is different, which leads to my first question: The backups made with one version cannot be used by the other version? The ClockWork recovery Nandroid backup has files like system.img and the SPRecovery’s Nandroid backup has system.tar.

My second question is specifically about SPRecovery. When doing the backup I noticed that not all of the entries were selected by default. I am assuming that if I want a complete backup that I can use to restore my phone back to some earlier (and presumably working) state, that I should have everything selected. Is that in fact the case?

I am not trying to debate which version of recovery is better. That is really a matter of personal preference and I am sure that they both do what needs to be done. I just want to make sure that I am using the SPRecovery correctly.
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

first question: yes, the two are not compatible. idk which one works better since i always used SPR on the Droid..

i think you are ok with only doing backups with the selected parts checked. but hey its up to you what you want to backup
  3. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 New Member

From everything I have read I would say its better to do the advanced backup with sprecovery and select all the options. This will make sure that everything will be restored the way you had it when it comes time to restore.
  4. VingInMedina

VingInMedina New Member

Thanks for the information. Now yet another question.

Can anyone tell me what is backed up in each of the parts of the Nandroid backup? I would like to understand what I am putting back on the phone with each of the parts when I do a restore.

For example, I read a post where the person was showing a procedure for installing a ROM that involved taking a backup just before installing the ROM (always a good idea) and then restoring just the data part after the ROM installation is complete (with a reboot in between). I gathered from what I read the the data part contained all of the application and phone configuration information.

So, can some tell me (or just point me in the right direction) what is contained in each of these parts of the backup (these are from SPRecovery).

boot.img
    cache.tar
    data.tar
    misc.img
    nandroid.md5
    recovery.img
    system.tar
  5. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

Not positive, but Ill take a crack.
    Boot.img - processes when the phone boots. Your boot animation, kernel, etc is here

data.tar - email, market, sync, etc

nandroid.md5 checksum file

recovery.img - your recovery (SPRecovery) image