Not able to delete or rename stock apps after dl09 update.

jogutier

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I update my rooted phone with oden using the dl09 update manual cause I had removed the stock apps before and that wasn't letting the OTA update install, but after manually updating my phone. I can't get the stupid stock apps go away. I'm not that much of a newb, but i really am. Please, if you have a fix for this. Be very detailed, like i said before. I'm what you call a newb. Thanks in advance. :icon_ banana:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What methods are you using to remove them? Also I don't know if the knew update removed root or not so I'll air on the side of caution and ask, are you sure you're still rooted?

tappin and a talkin

OP
jogutier

jogutier

Reaction score
I did reroot my phone and installed root explorer. I open rooted explorer click on rw system/app/ then I tried renaming, moving, deleteing, it look n says its been done, but it like fixses itself domehow. Like its protected or some. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did you reboot after making changes? And how were you renaming them. I don't quite have a definitive answer but it may lead me in the right direction.

tappin and a talkin

OP
jogutier

jogutier

Reaction score
I just tried again renaming by just adding .old to the end of the extension and rebooted phone. It just correct itself like my phone is running on safemode. Lol

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did you tryjust adding .bak to the end like

Derp.apk.bak

Thats the way ive always done it. Not sure if its important though
:/

tappin and a talkin

OP
jogutier

jogutier

Reaction score
Just tried .bak and same thing. Acts like it changed but nothing. I tell u, its like it verifies agaist something that tells it to change back. Like what I'm editing isn't the real file. Weird bro. Thanks for advise.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Shoot. Well I'm spent. Tomorrow when I wake up I'll check in and if you haven't made any progress I'll send over one of the big dogs.

tappin and a talkin

OP
jogutier

jogutier

Reaction score
I don't know anywhere else to check. I did a search to.see if I see it.someone else, and nothing. Unless its preprogramed in the manual update dl09 from a couples days ago. Thanks again bud and thanks for ur time.

OP
jogutier

jogutier

Reaction score
Maybe we will get froyo soon n I will be good then. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I500 usingDroidForums App

fishon

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem you're having. It's as if there is a little bug inside my phone that keeps reviving the changed filenames into their original name. I suspect that Verizon has something to do with this little bugger.

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
So in root explorer you click Mount R/W on the opening screen then nav to system/apps and click Mount R/W again, then long press the app to rename and add .old or .bak to the end and hit save or done, it shows that you renamed it in the app list correct. Then while still in system/apps click Mount R/O and hit menu/refresh and it will refresh the app list....if they are still renamed hit menu/home then click Mount R/O then menu exit....once it exits then reboot...
So this is exactly what your doing and its still not renaming or deleting the files? Ive tried to recreate the prob a few times now and I cant get your issue on my phone....

fishon

Reaction score
So in root explorer you click Mount R/W on the opening screen then nav to system/apps and click Mount R/W again, then long press the app to rename and add .old or .bak to the end and hit save or done, it shows that you renamed it in the app list correct. Then while still in system/apps click Mount R/O and hit menu/refresh and it will refresh the app list....if they are still renamed hit menu/home then click Mount R/O then menu exit....once it exits then reboot...
So this is exactly what your doing and its still not renaming or deleting the files? Ive tried to recreate the prob a few times now and I cant get your issue on my phone....

Did exactly what you wrote, but my roof explorer won't allow me to chance R/W or R/O inside the system/apps directory. Only at the root directory am I allowed to change R/O to R/W setting. I even tried changing the file's permission so it can't be written, but once I do that and I go back to the directory, it changes the name back into the original name.

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score

Did exactly what you wrote, but my roof explorer won't allow me to chance R/W or R/O inside the system/apps directory. Only at the root directory am I allowed to change R/O to R/W setting. I even tried changing the file's permission so it can't be written, but once I do that and I go back to the directory, it changes the name back into the original name.

It sounds like root explorer isn't getting SU permissions

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk