Not able to access contacts when calling

flight

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the MAXX HD and am having an odd problem with my contacts. I hit the phone app to make a call and hit the search button to find my contact. I either type a few letters in to find the right person and tap their name. Oddly, some of them will not give me a phone number. It is as if the phone has forgotten the contact.

When I manually type in their phone number, though, the phone recognizes who it is and lists the full number. If I tap their name it pulls up an overlay of the various numbers associated with that person. Tap that, and I get a profile for them with the option "Add to My Contacts", as if they were not already there. Now the contact has all the appropriate info and I can search for them normally.

It seems to only be a few contacts that have this issue and I am not looking forward to trying to go through my whole phone book to find which ones have the problem. Any ideas?

jaydub5

Reaction score
Contacts

Ah sooooo... cbeck in your PEOPLE list (contacts) and you might find multiple
listing for the same name... some might just have an email address and no phone
number... thus your problem. I had the same issue... Consolidate your contacts.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
There are apps available on the play store that can help you find duplicate contract entries. Since that is your suggested problem try looking them up. Search merge contacts or contact duplicate. Both will give you plenty of good results. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
F

flight

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found the problem was that several of my contacts were stored in "Other Contacts" for some reason (visible by checking them out from a PC). With my last phone they all showed up in "People", with this one they did not. I just moved every contact with a phone number associated with it to the "My Contacts" section and that fixed it. No idea why one phone did it one way and the other a different way.

jaseman

Reaction score
I just wish there was a way to "easily" get the black background back for the people app like it was under ICS! Not only that, but my wife's razr maxx (not HD) after updating to JB STILL has the black background on the people app. I'm jealous!:frown: