Not a World Phone?! WTF?

thelion

Reaction score
I'm curious to know how you guys all knew "way before" you bought it that this phone wouldn't work outside the US, or where you did your "research". Did you look on the internet? I mean, a month ago, some people still thought that the arrow keys on the keyboard were a finger print reader. I figured that the folks at the Verizon store who insisted that it works over seas would be a better source of info. Is there some definitive source of "correct" information that trumps the Verizon sales people? Anyway, here's another question for you: Can google voice and wifi solve this problem for me? I have wifi available most of the time over there, and I have a google voice number. I also have a few of these crappy prepaid phones that I normally use, but I really feel lame having to use them with a Droid in my pocket.

The Droid is a CDMA phone. That was known well before the phone ever hit the market. That means it will not work overseas.

Now you know.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Well, the GSM / CDMA thing has been pretty common knowledge for, half a decade or more at least.

Google would be a pretty good source of information on a subject you don't know about. Sales people should be your absolute last line of information, because, in general, they will lie about anything and everything in order to make a sale, as you have just learned. To sling phone for a living and not know that a CDMA phone won't work overseas is laughable.

Google voice + WiFi = no go. Google Voice is not VoIP, it just calls out to a local number and redirects your call, unlike services like Skype, which route your call over the Internet.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Sales people should be your absolute last line of information, because, in general, they will lie about anything and everything in order to make a sale, as you have just learned.

If a Sales Rep's lips are moving....He is Lying! (used to be one here ;))

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how you guys all knew "way before" you bought it that this phone wouldn't work outside the US, or where you did your "research". Did you look on the internet? I mean, a month ago, some people still thought that the arrow keys on the keyboard were a finger print reader. I figured that the folks at the Verizon store who insisted that it works over seas would be a better source of info. Is there some definitive source of "correct" information that trumps the Verizon sales people? Anyway, here's another question for you: Can google voice and wifi solve this problem for me? I have wifi available most of the time over there, and I have a google voice number. I also have a few of these crappy prepaid phones that I normally use, but I really feel lame having to use them with a Droid in my pocket.
Verizon is a CDMA network, most of the rest of the world uses GSM. The fact that the droid does not utilize a SIM card should have been the biggest hint. Also most (not all but a lot of them) verizon reps suck balls lol definitely reccomend doing your own research, I'm sure they'll say a lot of stuff just to ensure you buy something.

JayMonster

Reaction score
How most people "knew" just had to read a review. Many places deried the decision for it to not be a world phone and were "surprised" by this. (For example, see cnets review of the Droid).

The Milestone will NOT run on Verizon (the Milestone uses WCDMA) which is different than the CDMA2000 used by Verizon Wireless. So, while you could use it on AT&T or T-Mobile thanks to GSM, Verizon Wireless is not an option for the Milestone.

NVash

Reaction score
Okay, notwithstanding all the facts, I also am annoyed about the lack of this being a World phone. I look at all these features on this phone and think 'Yeah thats great, but what if I go out of country?' Youd think theyd make a great phone like this with such an ability. Here I am, a starving college student, with such a cool phone. And if I happen to get in the Exchange Program Im pretty sure Verizon will give me some junk about how Im tied to the contract and have to use this phone or pay the bill despite not being able to use it when Im abroad.

Yes, Im annoyed at this.

Caindris

Reaction score
How can you people justify being pissed at verizon/motorola for something you should of investigated? There are very few phones on Verizon that are world phones, the only one that comes to mind is the BB8830.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found out today my Droid will not be able to make calls, send sms, or use GPS in Europe. I am stunned, honestly. I didn't know they still made phones that are not world phones.
I am stunned, honestly as well. I didn't know that anyone still didn't do his/her due diligence when shopping for a smartphone (or anything for that matter).

Assume and you set yourself up for disappointment. Either a feature is important to you and you insure that the candidate has that feature or it isn't important.

I'm curious to know how you guys all knew "way before" you bought it that this phone wouldn't work outside the US, or where you did your "research". Did you look on the internet?
Yup.

I mean, a month ago, some people still thought that the arrow keys on the keyboard were a finger print reader.
You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Consider your sources. Rumor sites are just that: rumor sites. Corroborate data or rely on a trusted expert (if you can find one) if it comes to it. IIRC it was pretty clear that the Droid wasn't going to be a world phone but I don't reference my sources when performing my research so I'm sorry if I can't give you a concrete link that said so.

Don't ever assume that your research is fully done until you've made your purchase. I know that sounds contradictory but keep up the research even if you think you've made the right decision. You can't have too much information on your side if processed properly.

If you really want to be careful then don't purchase on release date. Add information from early adopters to your pool of research.

I figured that the folks at the Verizon store who insisted that it works over seas would be a better source of info.
This is always a mistake. I don't care who your carrier is. Heck, it doesn't matter what you're buying. A salesperson is a terrible source for research data. They're there to sell you stuff, not to educate you for your benefit.

I can justify it by the fact that Verizon told me in no uncertain terms that this was a world phone. Should I not be pissed?
You should be pissed. Unfortunately, if you want to pursue it at this point it's a matter of proving the verbal contract in court. YMMV but I consider that the point at which I cut my losses. You obviously don't want to end up at that point.

Not all of us are experts.
You can't afford to have such an attitude -- especially when buying tech. Nor do you have to be an expert. Know what matters to you. Make sure what you are thinking of buying stands up. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:

buenos

Reaction score
How can you people justify being pissed at verizon/motorola for something you should of investigated? There are very few phones on Verizon that are world phones, the only one that comes to mind is the BB8830.

Samsung Saga and Renown
HTC Touch Pro 2
HTC Ozone
HTC Imagio
BB Storm & 2
BB tour
Escapade

are all quad band world type phones....

OP
J

jeremz

Reaction score

I can justify it by the fact that Verizon told me in no uncertain terms that this was a world phone. Should I not be pissed? I'm getting kind of pissed about peoples attitudes about ignorance on this thread. Not all of us are experts.

Caindris

Reaction score
I can understand frustration at a sales person saying one thing and getting another. I'm sure we've all been there. However I stand by my earlier statement that if it is vital for you to have a feature, it is up to you to do your research.

As for the list of GSM phones on Verizon, that is a slim list indeed which is what I said. Considering all the phones Verizon has on its network.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Okay, notwithstanding all the facts, I also am annoyed about the lack of this being a World phone. I look at all these features on this phone and think 'Yeah thats great, but what if I go out of country?' Youd think theyd make a great phone like this with such an ability. Here I am, a starving college student, with such a cool phone. And if I happen to get in the Exchange Program Im pretty sure Verizon will give me some junk about how Im tied to the contract and have to use this phone or pay the bill despite not being able to use it when Im abroad.

Yes, Im annoyed at this.

You have to keep your voice contract. Nothing else. No data contract, no text contract. All you have to do is have a minimal voice plan. YOU chose a phone that isnt global capable, not them. There are lots of dumb phones that are CDMA only, so I bet most of you didnt even realize this problem existed.

If you need global capabilities, a local sim is your best bet anyways, not a vzw global roaming plan that will eat your ass. Dont hate vzw for YOU deciding to overlook something so simple. It is YOUR fault if YOU got a phone that doesn't do what YOU need it to do.

Simple.

OP
J

jeremz

Reaction score
I can understand frustration at a sales person saying one thing and getting another. I'm sure we've all been there. However I stand by my earlier statement that if it is vital for you to have a feature, it is up to you to do your research.

I agree with this statement in general. Thanks for at least acknowledging my frustration which is actually the reason I brought this up. It wasn't so I could learn life lessons from my internet friends, but it's good to know that there's so many people who can help me with those too.

NVash

Reaction score
Hey now, I knew it wasnt Global. I knew that when I received it. Im just saying I didnt like that fact then and still dont. The fact that such a phone like this isnt Global still surprises me.

Thanks for the information though, Ill remember that.