Not 100% of Google Contacts Sync to Droid

iPhone2Droid

Reaction score
I noticed this annoying little bug this morning when attempting to send my sister a text message.

I tapped 'new text' and started typing her name but the search returned nothing. I looked into my contacts app and sure enough she was nowhere to be found. I double checked on my gmail account online. She was there, in my 'My Contacts' folder. My sync options from the Contacts>Import/Export>Gmail Contacts are all checked and auto-sync is on. I also tried to force a sync by pressing menu>Sync Now on the accounts sync settings page. And I definitely tried adding her manually on the phone, but as soon as my contacts synced up again she was removed... I am sad.
This small omission is puzzling. I cannot see a reason why it would choose to not sync JUST her...

Any help on this matter would be awesome.

And thanks in advance!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
All 342 of my contacts are synced...

I would delete her then re-add her.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Check the phone number in your gmail contacts, if it's listed as anything other than "mobile," I don't think it will show up in the messaging application.

kennyg23

Reaction score
Check the phone number in your gmail contacts, if it's listed as anything other than "mobile," I don't think it will show up in the messaging application.
This is true but he did say he checked his contacts list and it wasn't in there either.

OP
iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid

Reaction score
Update to symptoms!

So, I just played around with the BarCode Scanner app and its "Share" function. I was gonna show some friends how I can share contact info via QR code, and lo and behold my sister's contact info was up for grabs there!!

I quit out BarCode Scanner and went back to Contacts as well as Messaging to make sure she was 'really' there. But she wasn't. :mad:

So now it looks like certain applications can see her contact info. So it's definitely on the phone somewhere. But messaging and the native Contacts app don't display her at all. Oh, and the global search function doesn't bring her up either.

Ideas!?

thatguychuck

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of, is that google is merging two contacts with similar names. I haven't had this issue, so I'm speaking second hand, but I know that this has happened to some. For instance, a if you have a contact named Chris, and another named Christopher, they might be automatically merged together into one contact. Maybe poke around a bit and see if this is the case?

Edit: If this is the case, the separate option may help. If you find the contact, pull it up, tap menu-edit contact-menu-separate, or save with a different name.

Last edited:
OP
iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid

Reaction score
Contact Merging

I checked through my contact list for any similar names... Her name is Cate, and I'm about 99% sure that I don't have anything close enough to that to cause confusion when syncing. Especially when taking into account the last name.

Thanks to everyone for helping... Hopefully we can get this figured out soon...

This definitely wouldn't bother me nearly as much if my phone wouldn't erase her during each sync even if I add her info manually.

Edit: You were right, chuck. I just didn't think Google would merge 'Cate' with 'Kathy'... Good to know it's all sorted out now, though. THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Glad that worked out! I'm borderline OCD myself, so I know it would bug the crap out of me.

OP
iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid

Reaction score
Yeah definitely. I was having trouble sleeping, haha. :)

LittleOne2307

Reaction score
saving a new contact

When i add a new contact on my Droid....it says saving file. but when I go into my phonebook and contacts to locate the entry its not there. but it is saved somewhere on the phone.....can anyone help me???