Normal Ram Usage?

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by DylC32A, Mar 3, 2011.

1. DylC32A

DylC32A Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just flashed this ROM a few days ago and I'm liking it so far. I'm trying to find a good balance though between performance and battery life, and I'm wondering what would be considered "normal" ram usage. My ram usage right now seems very high, and the phone feels, overall, somewhat sluggish. I was having problems with not receiving my MMS, so I locked Messaging into the memory, which I know has obviously had an effect on ram. Other than that, I'm hardly running any widgets or other programs. Again, just wondering what others are experiencing with their ram usage. Thanks in advance!

2. dpaine88

dpaine88 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine has been fine.

You can try compcache and also clearing your cache with a market program like cache cleaner and also dalvik cache in recovery options.

3. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't typically look at my ram because it's meant to be used but.... it's 69mb free. No issues no redraw & I have tapatalk & SMS locked in memory without compcache.

4. DylC32A

DylC32A Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still kind of new to rooting, and I've seen it mentioned before, but what exactly does clearing the dalvik cache do? Will it change any current settings or alter anything that i'll have to restore?

5. dpaine88

dpaine88 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Nahh just another form of cache, I think specifically for apps.

It wont make you redo anything, just will take a while to boot the first time after you do it since it needs to rebuild the cache.

6. litso

litso Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dalvik is a virtual machine that runs in Android's Linux kernel. It designed to optimize the usage of applications in devices with limited resources, such as a smartphone. Basically when you load up an app it is convert to a .dex (dalvik executable file), and run in the Dalvik VM. The Dalvik cache, like all caches, is a temporary storage location where data that is needed for the currently running application is kept for quick execution. This can sometimes get bloated, with old and unneeded data not getting removed for whatever reason. Clearing the Dalvik cache empties this storage and frees up resources.

7. kptphalkon

kptphalkon Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Open up alogcat and notice how often dalvik clears its space of apps. Quite literally dozens and dozens of times a minute. I dont think that clearing it will help you at all :/