Nook Color - to get or not to get?

him

Reaction score
Yeah wont get a month out of it, but it should give you a long plane flight worth. Just seems more pros than kindle. Other than battery life and broad daylight reading what else is there? Kindle's strength is neutralized by loading kindle app. Once we get 2.2 and netflix...game one

Jizzylax

Reaction score
This is a pretty simple forumula:

For wife:
If "main use" = "reading", then

Kindle > Nook Color

If "main use" = "anything else but reading", then

Nook Color > Kindle

I've experienced both. If she is mainly going to read books, get the Kindle. It is by far the best book replacement so to speak you can find. If she wants to read the occasional book and will utilize the other features of the Nook Color, get the Nook Color.

I personally wanted one to read books, therefore the Kindle was the way to go. It is the next best thing to having a library of books at your fingertip.

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Froyo snuggles into cosy Nook ? The Register

In case anyone's interested, here's a story about the Nook Color getting 2.2 next month and a link to how to hack and then install a custom ROM onto the Nook Color to get it NOW! :)

heres the instructions i used to root my nook color. If you use the auto-nooter there is no need to install all the Google apps and such because it does it automatically for you. Not to mention its much simpler then that link.

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

him

Reaction score
I didn't see anything about froyo. I have mine rooted and set up but no froyo.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
garrett, do you mean there's a one-click app for rooting the NC? That's just awesome. Does it work on the Nook? I'm looking at snagging an e-reader after everyone who gets one who doesn't want it tries to sell it on eBay. Pipedream, maybe, but it's the only chance I have at affording one. If there's a way to root one without requiring Windows 7 (I can't afford and even if I could I simply refuse) and a true wireless hotspot, that puts the Nook as my number 1 choice again.

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
garrett, do you mean there's a one-click app for rooting the NC? That's just awesome. Does it work on the Nook? I'm looking at snagging an e-reader after everyone who gets one who doesn't want it tries to sell it on eBay. Pipedream, maybe, but it's the only chance I have at affording one. If there's a way to root one without requiring Windows 7 (I can't afford and even if I could I simply refuse) and a true wireless hotspot, that puts the Nook as my number 1 choice again.

its not a 1 click option but its much eaiser then installing everything seperate. Then having to do the fixes to the market, youtube ..ETC You basically write the image file to a micro SD then have the nook boot off of it then reboot and your done.

heres the information on it. Auto-Nooter 2.12.15 - xda-developers

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
I want a nook color...now...if I got one and decided to root it...is there anyway to get back to stock? Complete noob question..but I got the hang of rooting and roming my d1 and its easy enough for me to understand that...but this is a whole new ballpark for me.

so can you unroot?

and...is the NookColor awesome?!

god i want one bad! I dont even like to read much but i love the idea of playing fallout 3 and having like a sweet walkthrough or internet guide at my fingertips...

not to mention this thing has similar specs to the dx

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I want a nook color...now...if I got one and decided to root it...is there anyway to get back to stock? Complete noob question..but I got the hang of rooting and roming my d1 and its easy enough for me to understand that...but this is a whole new ballpark for me.

so can you unroot?

and...is the NookColor awesome?!

god i want one bad! I dont even like to read much but i love the idea of playing fallout 3 and having like a sweet walkthrough or internet guide at my fingertips...

not to mention this thing has similar specs to the dx

yes its un-rootable. takes about 5 min to bring the nook back to the stock configuration and when you do this you dont loose any of your settings.

so far ive been pretty impressed with it. It scores almost as high on quadrant as the galaxy tab and its still running 2.1 while the tab is running froyo. I wouldnt be surprised to see the nook get a higher score then the tabl once it gets froyo next month.