1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

NOOBS -- Use the Search function!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by voydas, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voydas

voydas New Member

I'd say 50-60% of the new threads are questions that have already been asked and answered. Use the search function on the forum people! It's there for a reason. If you want to learn how to do something the answer is almost always available to you if you do some reading. You shouldn't expect to have your hand help through every little thing, although many people here are nice enough to do so but it's getting a little ridiculous. I'm not a moderator here but it's getting to the point that I'm not longer interested in coming to this forum because every new thread is a rehash of a thread thats been posted days, weeks, months ago. Sometimes even hours!

Just saying to the noobs:
    Read the stickies
    Use the search function
    Read and research what you want to do

How to root? -- asked and answered.
    How to go back from 2.0.1. from 2.1? -- asked and answered.
    How to change your bootanimation? -- asked and answered.
    How to setup WiFi tethering? -- asked and answered!
    Changing to a new ROM? -- asked and answered.
    Best way to backup your apps? -- asked and answered
    Overclocking? -- asked and answered.

Do some research! The information is available to those who look for it.
  2. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

There has also been threads to tell people to use the search function.
  3. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

noobs....stop posting to tell people to search....
  4. verian

verian Guest

Its does seem like every time I check the forum its the same topics, but I ain't no hater its cool. Search is the answer.
  5. voydas

voydas New Member

Uhh.. Thanks.

It obviously needs to be restated. Nothing on the first 3-4 pages of this forum, anyways. (I know -- I looked)
  6. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

So instead of using a thread that has already been dedicated to informing people about the search function of these forums, you create a new thread on something that has already been discussed. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/35965-searching-how-i-do.html
    Isn't this a little hypocritical?
  7. voydas

voydas New Member

Can't you go troll somewhere else?

I'm not asking a question that's been asked and answered, im trying to draw attention that something needs to be done about all these repeat questions. Call me hypocritical if you want, I felt creating a new thread rather than bumping an old thread would be more effective. But I got trolled. Thanks, by the way.
    :icon_ banana:
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

It doesn't matter how many times you ask people to search, they won't do it. Part of the reason is people don't want to, and the other part is the very true fact that the search feature doesn't work as well as it should.

If everybody tagged their new thread like they should that would help. I did a thread on how to use Google to effectively search the Droid Forum and it's buried somewhere in the archives now.

I feel the OP's pain, and I know it's frustrating. It's even more frustrating when someone say's "I haven't got time to search through 200 page." That means they know where the answer is and they are just too lazy to search.

And I don't know about you guys but I can't tell you the amount of times I find a question for something that's on the same page as the poster posted on. Those will get a redirect or a merge. And if I can find the thread myself I will put in a redirect and close the thread.

It's definitely a challenge, but every forum deals with it.
  9. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

No one is trolling here, I'm just trying to understand your logic. You're welcome, by the way.
  10. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Everyone who ever uses DF was a "NOOB" at one time or another. At one time in October 2009, everyone was a NOOB at the same time. Now we have people who are DF Veterans, and my opinion is if a so called noob has a question, instead of belittling them we should not just tell them to search, be helpful and show them a link. Sure, for the veterans on this board it's easy to just take that attitude of "use the search button", when in reality they were guilty of the same thing. I have 2 friends at work with Droids and they come to me with questions a lot...I don't tell them to go to DF and use the Search feature, I actually sit there and help them out. I think a gentler approach to our new user friends is better than starting a thread in the Hacks section to use the search feature. Mom told me 50 years ago if I don't have something nice to say to not say it. Same applies here.
  11. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

+1 I feel the same way, everyone deserves a chance to be helped, that is what this forum is for.
  12. blufftontiger

blufftontiger New Member

Stop using the "n" word!

:mad:

Stop using the "n" word!
  13. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Yeah, I was just talking about this with another Mod. Technically speaking none of us, even the mods and Admins have been here longer the 6 months. So we're all pretty much new.
  14. voydas

voydas New Member

I, like all of us, was a noob to this at one point but I researched what I was trying to do, I just see so many people wanting their hand held through the whole process when the answers are available to everyone. Not trying to be rude or hostile, just seeing this forum getting cluttered with repeats of the same questions over and over when the answer is quite easy to find.
  15. voydas

voydas New Member

I see this thread was moved so the whole point of it is lost. If you could delete it it'd be appreciated. Thanks.
  16. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It was in the Droid Hacks section. There's many forums that repetitive questions are asked. It was moved here because it didn't apply specifically to one area.

Your opinion is yours, but mine is we help each other as much as possible, and provide links when you can to help them research on their own. Sometimes the search feature isn't all that great or easy to find search results.
  17. beneharris

beneharris New Member

your not having a very good attitude about this...

plus, you have 97 posts, its not like you are answering all of the questions. let the guys who actually do the answering complain about it, but most of them suck it up and don't. its no biggie, just dont look at the threads
  18. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

well this was a waste of time.

searching doesn't always work or happen, that's the way it is. welcome to any forum of any type and about any topic, it is what it is. if you aren't feeling helpful, do NOT complain about how a forum functions.

and as far as asking people to search...? asked and answered.
  19. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
search function driod 3

use the search function gif